What's the appeal in this game?

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Sensei.Tokugawa

What's the appeal in this game?

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

I have been browsing both the MG store and checking the forums in order to get acquainted with what new wargames are worthy trying and buying. This one covers an interesting theatre and period, but seems to be an offshoot of the AT which I have never gotten into for some reason. How would You recommend that for a hardcore admirer of TOAW III who plays lots of Tillers scenaarios on strategic, operational and tactical level? What's the situation with PBEMing? And how realistic is that one when it comes to history and battlefield simulation?
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

joeyeti

RE: What's the appeal in this game?

Post by joeyeti »

I can only say from my limited experience (read: I played very little so far):

- I like the overall mechanics (although I cannot compare to AT unfortunately, others can chime in on that - I only know AT is a generic system), especially the Cards that can be used as events
- I like the theatre, being the start of the war and not covered that extensively in other games I know
- I like the opportunity to create your own scenarios, even though the more advanced editing might be a chore most of the time
- the only thing I miss is more smaller scenarios (or even some two or three larger ones), which might be due to the above
- I like that the game sports quite deep mechanics with extensive information available on units and OOBs, yet the experience from the game is nowhere as overwhelming as in say War in the East (which I tried a few times to get into, but that layered structure is as thick as it gets, so a no-go for me personally)
Joe
Sensei.Tokugawa

Thanks for the feedback, it was formative enough and I bought the game yesterday along with "Case Blue" - I was planning to buy that anyway and there was a discount for both so I gladly jumped at the opportunity. ATG is on hold, but both BC of WWII titles look great and I don't think I am going to be disappointed with them, BFWTP surprisingly is by far even more tempting fro me than CS with all my banal penchant for the Eastern Front. I just need to cut my teeth into that. Is there a separate site I don't know of where I should head for in order to get some more feedaback if I need to and search for PBEM opponents in not so distant future?

joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Hmmm, hard to say if there is any more active forum than this... I think if you ask questions here, someone will surely reply and advise, it is just that the activity is quiet here in general...
Joe
Sensei.Tokugawa

After dealing with both DCoWWI titles - BfWtB and CB - for over about two months now I can say honestly, with several years of wargaming, reading and studying the subject matters from a few angles under my belt now - that those are one of the best operational level simulations I have ever encountered, combining the accuracy or battlefield re-enactment and intuitive management of TOAW III with much better handling of C&C and supplies typical for TOC games. I can endorse that as definitely recommended for all hardcore realism freaks. Wrote the same thing at the CB thread, it's all the same - no wonder it has gotten apparently much less attention it deserved - it takes time for crowds to learn to appreciate something that is worth anything - if not ahead of its times(I wouldn't go as far myself though here.

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Sorry to intrude, can i ask a question do those who owns that game?

I have Case Blue already, looking for this one maybe.

My question is can we play the allied side as well? Can we play the poles? The french, belgae, and dutch? the british in what looks to be a Sealion scenario?

Thank you, Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Sensei.Tokugawa

Absolutely. I think you may be mislead by the DC II CB 1st Panzer Army linked scenario campaign which is impossible to be played in the PBEM mode, but there's no such thing in DC ( but for 1939 campaign with the DC II AI perhaps, but that's only for those who somehow reject the idea of PBEMing that ). I am already playing the full campaign against a fellow wargamer as the Allies - it's two weeks into the invasion of Poland and I had to withdraw from Lodz towards the capital city of Warsaw - after the Polish Defence War '39 campaign there goes Case Yellow and then on to defending the Albion in Sealion. Go ahead, you should not be disappointed.

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Thank you I purchased it.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Thank you I purchased it.

Sent you an e-mail micheljq, how do you like the game so far?

Bo

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”