infos about tablets

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rising-Sun

infos about tablets

Post by Rising-Sun »

Probably want to know what is a tablet, most of us already seen them in public and department stores. My girlfriend wanted one and wasn't sure which one and should I get one for her. Like a cellphone, probably have to pay services to access to internet or communicate device.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have one can give me some details before buying one. I try to dig up some information on those thing, not much details giving. I know they are small, can break easily and seen some are cheap. Just wondering do you have to pay monthly fees for services.

Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Missouri_Rebel

RE: infos about tablets

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I have an I-pad. What I mostly use it for is conveniently surfing the web. Much easier to carry around than a laptop. Other than that IMO, they are of limited use. Every program/app that is put on it is proprietary in most aspects. You have no access to the files that make up your programs/apps and can not mod anything. You just dl an app and that is all. No cut and paste, no arranging except for creating a folder to put your app exe's in. Everything is just streamlined to the max. No HD to access. etc. The plus side to this is that everything runs like it should and I have never had a single conflict.Sure you can have your pictures and music you purchase and play a game of spades or bubble pop, but if your looking for a shrunk down computer in an IPad, you will be disappointed.

My question is do the Windows Tablets operate more like a computer with a limited HD and graphics or are they just an app holder like the Ipad?
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Probably want to know what is a tablet, most of us already seen them in public and department stores. My girlfriend wanted one and wasn't sure which one and should I get one for her. Like a cellphone, probably have to pay services to access to internet or communicate device.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have one can give me some details before buying one. I try to dig up some information on those thing, not much details giving. I know they are small, can break easily and seen some are cheap. Just wondering do you have to pay monthly fees for services.

Any information would be helpful, thanks.

If money is not a problem I would go for Apple Ipad => quality. I bought two (for my nephew and niece -17 and 10 year old). They are more than happy [:)]

Remember: buy cheap, you pay dear.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I bought an Acer Iconia Tab A200 tablet a couple of years ago. (Watch a video review here.) With so many games going digital with .pdf manuals, I had decided to get a tablet to have something physical to read them on. So my experience with a tablet is limited.

One of the biggest selling points for me was the physical size of the screen--I wanted the largest affordable size available. So I liked the Acer 200's 10.1 inch screen and its price (It was reconditioned and I caught it on sale).

Its ability to read and display .pdf files was essential. It also came with a USB port and a 32G memory card facilitating the transfer of data.

A wireless internet connection is required in order to access the web and I only have a wired connection, but for my purposes I don't need to go online with it.

The only rub is that its Ice Cream Sandwich operating system will not read all Windows files. As much as I dislike Windows 8, I would prefer it over the OS I have in this tablet.

Hope that helps you out.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Thanks guys, I tried to tell her that don't think you going to pick up something off the internet or site unless you have a router or something feeding that thing. So I figured it is either satellite and/or relay stations nearby to transmit those data. So how can that be free to surf on the web? It support many things that the user want or like to have, wouldn't be free unless you purchase something.

I agreed with you Greybriar, I wasn't too impress with Windows 8 either. But there is pros and cons about that operation system. I wanted to use the 32bits Wins 8.1 on her laptop while I am using 64bits, Microsoft wanted another hundred dollars to do so. Lol well that is not going to happen and that very greedy in the same household.

Anyway back to the topic, she wanted a cheap one and wasn't sure if that is wise, but least she have something for xmas. Too bad money is short this holiday due to bills and other issues.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I have a Kindle Fire HD and really like it. Its thru Amazon I primarily use it for books, TV / movies, music and surfing the net. They have an optional Prime membership for $80US a year and you can stream / DL 1000s of movies, videos, and books free. Lots of stuff to choose from. Gaming wise, its not the best but still a good device for simpler games. You need a wireless connection to use. You may already have this in your home.
No problem Chief!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Max 86

I have a Kindle Fire HD and really like it. Its thru Amazon I primarily use it for books, TV / movies, music and surfing the net. They have an optional Prime membership for $80US a year and you can stream / DL 1000s of movies, videos, and books free. Lots of stuff to choose from. Gaming wise, its not the best but still a good device for simpler games. You need a wireless connection to use. You may already have this in your home.

That what she wanted, I knew it has a hidden fee behind it. Not sure what you can do with it without paying anything after buying one of those. Yes we have a router, she use her laptop and she wanted a tablet when she goto hospital while her mother having treatments and dunno if she will pick up anything there. She said they use one as well. So I don't know.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well you can use wireless off of your internet network or a free hotspot. Also you can hotspot off your phone if you have a large data plan. You can also buy a tablet that is 4G and such and purchase a plan for it to be used mobile. I think AT&T offers a $10 charge to an existing plan that shares data, but you may want to check.

Honestly, a good phone would do most of these things albeit with a smaller screen. The larger phones are too big for my wifes small hands so she sticks with a midsize one. But really, theres nothing revolutionary with the tablets at this point. Most apps that are on tablets can be had for mobile phones.

Using Gerybriars example, the pdf readers are very limited also, at least on the ipad. Most functions are not present that are found with a computer, much to my displeasure. Most importantly the Previous Page function.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

ORIGINAL: Max 86

That what she wanted, I knew it has a hidden fee behind it. Not sure what you can do with it without paying anything after buying one of those. Yes we have a router, she use her laptop and she wanted a tablet when she goto hospital while her mother having treatments and dunno if she will pick up anything there. She said they use one as well. So I don't know.

There is no hidden fee behind it. Pay as you buy. No monthly fees unless you want the Prime membership. Otherwise use your existing wi-fi. Also forgot to mention you can connect to your HD TV via HDMI cable and you can watch the Kindle on your big screen.
No problem Chief!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Many ways to go with a tablet.

Currently the Shield Nvidia tablet rules the product. I get that from an electronics super geek. You need to know how much performance you need to get out of programs.

I have a fondness for Asus products, and like my Nexus 7 tablet. It uses Android. Mostly I just like that it is chocolate brown. No really, I bought it because of the colour. It's a woman thing I guess.

Today I bought (because I'm nuts) an HP 7 inch tablet that runs the full Windows 8 OS. The thing with it, is it run actual Windows 8, not the broken version of Windows 8RT either. But on the one hand it is the convenience of Windows, and on the other it is the nuisance of Windows :) (depends on how you say it I suppose). The trick though was the price. 99 bucks is hard to beat.

The most games for a wargamer though likely will have you on an iPad and the usual annoying expense. Unless I can get the Windows tablet to run things decently without needing a tablet OS (because as odd as it might sound, Windows 8 isn't much of a thrilling touch OS eh).
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
JDM

Post by JDM »

If you want to use it for strategy games I would focus on IPad, the Andriod platforms are simply just not worth developing for, combination of Piracy and varying platforms simply make these a very unattractive prospect
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Thanks again guys, this will really help me to decide.

Return to “General Discussion”