Great game but struggling here

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

RogerJNeilson

Great game but struggling here

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I am delighted by the way the game plays, but frankly have little or no clue about what the different units/ vehicles/ components are and what they should do.

Obviously I need to do a crash course in this, any advice as to a good source for seeing the different vehicles and what they were armed with and their function?

I know I can see them as they are fighting, but frankly I'm too focused on saving some of my stuff to do detailed research as the shot flies.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Mad Russian

RE: Great game but struggling here

Post by Mad Russian »

Here is the basic crash course difference between WWII and FPC's representation of WWIII.

1. Combat is at a much faster pace.
2. Combat is bloodier.
3. Combat takes place at longer range.
4. Movement and combat takes place 24 hours a day.
5. Artillery is at least as deadly as it was in WWII and it hits you more often.
6. Tanks will lead assaults not wait for the infantry to create holes for them to drive through.
7. Primary tank killers are antitank guided missile(ATGM) armed units. Cannon armed units(tanks) are secondary to those.

Rule of thumb for when you are engaging equipment you don't already know about is to check the date available for the equipment. If it's older than what you are using it's probably not got as much capability. If it's newer than what you are using then it's probably got more capability than your equipment. [X(]

That's not always true but it's pretty close. [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Thanks for all that. I have a significant learning curve here.

Here's an example of my problem.

This is one unit I see.... I would love to know what the T-808V is armed with and its quality as an AFV, this is just an example. Its also one of the easiest of them inventory I know.

So is there a good site where I can go and see what one looked like and what it packed as a gun and what protection and number of crew etc etc?

Failing that any recommended books?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
jds1978

Post by jds1978 »

Get a look in the Sub Unit Inspector.....it gives all the info you need[:'(]
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

For some reason it would not publish the screenshot.....

Attachments
20141128_153804.jpg
20141128_153804.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Have you looked at the equipment in the Sub Unit Inspector?

Good Hunting.

MR

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Duh, I have now I found it........

Apologies, I really am new to this game and the period.

Roger
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

No problem Roger. Everybody starts somewhere.

That's why we are here, to answer questions about the game. Where those questions come from or what they entail doesn't matter. What matters is we help you gain a better understanding of how the game plays.

Good Hunting.

MR

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I've only played a small bit and, like Mr. Neilson, am unfamiliar with the equipment and tactics of 'modern' (post WWII) warfare so the learning curve is steep indeed. But this game is such a rare gem. Very few times are we gamers lucky enough to be graced with such a fresh, innovative, and polished title such as this. I look forward to a long life of future FC titles.

Also, your support and accessibility post release should be a model for other developers to strive for. Top-notch.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

+1 to the comments on support above.

First class.

Roger
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

The Vital Guide to Modern Tanks and AFVs is a bit old but provides background for most of the units in the game. The advantage of it being old, is that it's possible to get it cheap... in fact for £0.01 second hand on Amazon (here: Amazon link + postage (but still not bad for £2.81)

Best wishes,
Chris

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'm toying with the idea of adding a units and equipment primer to help new players. Put some summary info for each unit type like main battle tanks and self propelled SAMs. Then cover the sensors and systems used in game terms of what they do. Would this be a help to those new to this type of warfare?
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Absolutely, especially if it had some info in how it correlates with the game. i.e. some do's and dont's, pro's and con's.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Anything would be a help.

Roger
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

I'm toying with the idea of adding a units and equipment primer to help new players. Put some summary info for each unit type like main battle tanks and self propelled SAMs. Then cover the sensors and systems used in game terms of what they do. Would this be a help to those new to this type of warfare?

That would be pretty helpful. I've just bought it, and played (and loved!) the tutorial, and it's certainly quite different from WWII wargames, to which I'm more used to.
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

I think the 'problem' here is that games like this and Command attract the sort of people who have knowledge of the time frame and systems in that period.
Personally I started in board-gaming, hands up if you played MechWar '77 ?
And of course miniatures wargaming. My British, Chieftain heavy Task Force was my pride and joy. [:)]

The one thing I do miss from the old board games from the like of SPI, AH etc are the Gamers and Designers notes.
They used to take apart the scenarios, tactics, strategy, and provide the background you needed to start with the game.
I still recall the novel like manual's from NATO Division Commander ("There's a reason a Division Commanders stars are gold and not a baser metal") and SPI's 'Task Force'. The latter's designer notes gave me invaluable insight to the possible NATO-Pact war at sea ("Shoot 'n Scoot)

Of course these days there is a wealth of information out there, it's just finding the good stuff.

You could do worse than getting a copy of this : http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/tank-war-%E2%80%93-central-front-nato-vs.-warsaw-pact_9780850459043

Please take this as in no way a criticism of the designers and craftsman that made this game a superb piece of work.

Tim James

Post by Tim James »

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

I think the 'problem' here is that games like this and Command attract the sort of people who have knowledge of the time frame and systems in that period.
This is the problem with wargames in general. Almost always, you're expected to already know terminology, command structure, weapon systems, etc. As one of the few people who came to this genre from the gaming side rather than the military or military history side, my biggest challenge is working through the jargon (verbal and "mechanical" if you will).

I often feel like this is one of reasons this genre remains a limited niche. I suspect it's difficult for wargame designers to envision the game from the perspective of someone who is not a military geek.

With that said, I'm perfectly happy to read a book or guide for strategy and tactics. That's a different level from the basic jargon.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: Tim James
ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

This is the problem with wargames in general. Almost always, you're expected to already know terminology, command structure, weapon systems, etc. As one of the few people who came to this genre from the gaming side rather than the military or military history side, my biggest challenge is working through the jargon (verbal and "mechanical" if you will).

I often feel like this is one of reasons this genre remains a limited niche. I suspect it's difficult for wargame designers to envision the game from the perspective of someone who is not a military geek.

With that said, I'm perfectly happy to read a book or guide for strategy and tactics. That's a different level from the basic jargon.

This a thousand times.

I also find it unhelpful to be told to go read books on Cold War strategy and tactics (although I often do it anyway out of interest). I'm not commanding a real brigade in the Cold War, I'm playing a video game and the game is a system of rules. The book on cold war tactics is not going to tell me when it's appropriate to use a 'screen' command or a 'hold' command, nor is it helpful in explaining whether it's worth it to move my tank platoon one hex over in order to gain 10% more cover bonus. It won't explain what the difference between 60 visibility and 70 visibility in terms of my unit's willingness to detect and shoot things.

It's a genre problem that wargame developers keep too much of the game 'under the hood'. FPS suffers less than that from most because information tends to come in obvious better-or-worse value forms, and choices tend to have obvious trade-offs, but it's still an issue.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

Try browsing the spreadsheets in the national directories under \modules\data before launching into a game. Explanation of the various codes are in the manual. Studying the silhouettes in the common data file helps too.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The easiest way to evaluate your forces vs their forces is by date of equipment issue. Look to see how new your equipment is vs their equipment.

If they are roughly the same dates for deployment they will have roughly the same ability. If one is older than the other the newer equipment will have more ability and the bigger the difference in times of deployment the bigger the difference in capability.

Check the Sub Unit Identification information to see more specifics such as thermal sights, etc.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”