OT interesting video of Yamato

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

OT interesting video of Yamato

Post by Rising-Sun »

Here a video I came across while eating and watching some WWII videos on youtube, this one is interesting based on Yamato...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_uwOrrlKl0
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: OT interesting video of Yamato

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Interesting, but I really hate all these History channel dubious superlatives

- most advanced battleship --> what about the Iowas?
- greatest naval disaster of all time --> Wilhelm Gustloff.. hello???

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

When commissioned the Yamato and Musashi were the most advanced BBs in commission. They beat the Iowas by a couple of years.

Though I pretty much agree that the only advantage the Yamatos had after the Iowas was commissioned was in the size of the main armament. The Yamatos had the best optics available, but radar trumped that.

They were all obsolete the day they were commissioned. The last grand fleet battle with guns was Jutland.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

There should be some about Iowa class and other famous ships somewhere on youtube. Just have to keep looking.
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Interesting, but I really hate all these History channel dubious superlatives

- most advanced battleship --> what about the Iowas?
- greatest naval disaster of all time --> Wilhelm Gustloff.. hello???

Didn't you know? Superlatives and hyperboles are the rule when writing for any of the History Channel's documentaries. That, and a healthy dose of spin and misinformation purely for dramatic effect (M4 Shermans being "engineering disasters", etc...). Especially for that godawful "Dogfights" series. I love our wartime vets, but ugh...

Indeed, the Iowas trumped the Yamatos in many aspects, not the least of which in fire control. Not only did it have an overwhelming advantage fighting at night and in foul weather, but Iowas also had the capability of aiming and firing their main guns accurately while maneuvering. Yamatos had to "straighten up" before lining up their guns to fire.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”