No more than 1 fuel Storage

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

twinkypillow

No more than 1 fuel Storage

Post by twinkypillow »

Hi guys,

I've been playing designing my own bases and everything and besides ships, I always only put 1 fuel storage unit on all my bases and mining stations.. IS there any reason to put more?? I always have enough energy because of energy collectors so why do I need fuel??

I also never put storage on my Ports because the colony has unlimited storage so why waste money and time building Storage units..

Oh and last thing.. when I play pirates, then I do see the reason for Storage units as I only have a gas port.. I haven't found how many i really need on my port.. I mean doesn't it just stop giving me resources when my port is full ?? what do the freighters do if lets say I have my LargePort and only 1 storage unit?

Kayoz

RE: No more than 1 fuel Storage

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22
I always only put 1 fuel storage unit on all my bases and mining stations.

Agreed. More than one is a waste.
I also never put storage on my Ports

Yes, they are a waste. It's quite disappointing that the ship designer UI doesn't pop one in on any port and lock it. Same for command module (centre?) - you only ever need one. Why not pop on in when you start a new design, and not force the player to select and add it manually. It's on EVERY SINGLE DESIGN. It's not like anyone can make something WITHOUT one.
when I play pirates, then I do see the reason for Storage units as I only have a gas port.

As far as I have seen, all port storage is unlimited. Regardless of where it is - colony, gas giant or in the depths of space.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

As far as I have seen, all port storage is unlimited. Regardless of where it is - colony, gas giant or in the depths of space.

I'm pretty sure that can't be correct? I can't put 1 port on my constructor and expect it to have unlimited storage? or do you mean if i put a 1 storage unit on a port like my first base in the pirate play? even then i think i need more than 1 though>.?
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

On captured pirate bases, I add at least 100k of cargo storage, and sometimes even that isn't enough if they don't sell their cargos of gases. You can get by with the originally designed bases only if you don't retrofit or buy new ships at them. I suggested a while back that parts should ALWAYS be manufactured as resources become available, discarding the cargo above capacity by dumping the most unreserved in stock cargo item to make room, but don't know if that change was ever made. The problem came to light when I had an energy to fuel converter on an asteroid belt spaceport in a supernova...

Regarding fuel storage, the first time you get into combat and your weapons consume all the bases's fuel with none in stock at the colony, you'll decide to put at least 3 and preferably 5 or more on every base design. What I do is look at the maximum energy consumption rate of the base in combat, and give 150-250 days worth of fuel storage...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Bear in mind that your reactors need fuel. More fuel storage = more range for ships (a good thing). Also, if your base gets into heavy combat (and it WILL happen), the reactor is what powers the guns, by burning fuel. Base runs out of fuel means that guns don't fire, etc.

I personally put 3 fuel cells on bases, and 6 on ships.

Also make sure that your energy collection rate is more than static energy usage, that keeps your from burning any fuel while not in combat. Preventing any waste.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

I'm pretty sure that can't be correct? I can't put 1 port on my constructor and expect it to have unlimited storage? or do you mean if i put a 1 storage unit on a port like my first base in the pirate play? even then i think i need more than 1 though>.?

It's the latter. I'm not even sure what you mean by the former. Construction yard isn't "port". Docking bay isn't "port".

Design a new ship. Select as "role", one of the ports (small port, medium port, large port). That's a port. Again, I don't think there's any benefit to more than one cargo bay on a port. Though I'd happily be corrected. I don't have time to test it thoroughly right now, but I expect that's the case because it's the sort of thing I expect Elliot to do, based on his past decisions. And the fact that any pirate game would quickly become unplayable.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Base runs out of fuel means that guns don't fire, etc.

Also make sure that your energy collection rate is more than static energy usage, that keeps your from burning any fuel while not in combat. Preventing any waste.

I have seen this.. However I still only put 1 fuel cell because the energy collectors I put, cover the static and rate of fire energy usage and therefore I never see them need the fuel.. (bases i'm talking about only.)

Also I should try having more fuel on bases and have a huge battle and see how they do compared to the energy collectors powering the firing... but obviously energy collection is unlimited and better as fuel has to be replaced all the time..

twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

[/quote]

Design a new ship. Select as "role", one of the ports (small port, medium port, large port). That's a port. Again, I don't think there's any benefit to more than one cargo bay on a port. Though I'd happily be corrected. I don't have time to test it thoroughly right now, but I expect that's the case because it's the sort of thing I expect Elliot to do, based on his past decisions. And the fact that any pirate game would quickly become unplayable.
[/quote]

So you mean all spaceports use only 1 cargo hold because they are unlimited anyway?? ok.. thats fine..

but that is not true for starbases and mining stations right? i'm pretty sure those go by the amount you put on.. so it's only for starports
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

but that is not true for starbases and mining stations right? i'm pretty sure those go by the amount you put on.. so it's only for starports

Yes. There is an active limit on cargo capacity for other orbital installations (mining, gas mining, starbase, etc) that aren't at a colony. Ports have no limit wherever they might be, afaik.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”