[Suggestion] Implement VSYNC or Framerate Limit

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Dragoon.

[Suggestion] Implement VSYNC or Framerate Limit

Post by Dragoon. »

May I suggest to implement VSYNC or an other kind of frame rate limit.

I noticed while playing my GFX card was giving a high pitched noise, which for some reason only happen when it exceed more than 200 FPS.
Since this game would perfectly run with 30 FPS (Isn't that even the iPad fixed rate?) implementing a frame rate limit would save on power consumption and potential problems.
The difference for me between letting the GFX card lose and limiting to 60 FPS (Game was running at 240 FPS previously), was a drop in GPU temp from 63 to 45 Celsius, and instead to go into boost clock it actual downclocked. [:)]

zakblood

RE: [Suggestion] Implement VSYNC or Framerate Limit

Post by zakblood »

that's not really a bug in game code tbh, more of a error with drivers for the card i afraid [:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

In that case I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 670 with WHQL Driver 344.48.

One thing that made me curious is when runing PzC the card stays in 2D mode (324mhz idle/2d mode, normal clock is 1050mhz and boost clock 1215mhz), but when running Armageddon already in the main menu the card goes into boost mode and runs with 2940 FPS. Thankfully I can avoid this excess with setting a Frame Rate Target of 60 FPS in EVGA Precision.
In PzC I don't even get any FPS reported. The frameserver says 0 FPS. I thought this had to do with the complete engine rewrite Rudankort has mentioned, calling 3D functions or something like that.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 35&t=54381

seems it can be done with MSI Afterburner installed, so your in luck, it's fixed[&o]

so again it seems like a nvidia only problem, i use all amd cards so tbh never heard or had the problem either...

but a quick search found a few that had, so good luck and enjoy the game
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

You can force V-sync through the Nvidia control panel. I have had to do it with games in the past where the frame rate would skyrocket making my GPU fan run at 100%, very noisy and the card got too hot.
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 35&t=54381

seems it can be done with MSI Afterburner installed, so your in luck, it's fixed[&o]

so again it seems like a nvidia only problem, i use all amd cards so tbh never heard or had the problem either...

but a quick search found a few that had, so good luck and enjoy the game

As I wrote,
ORIGINAL: Dragoon

Thankfully I can avoid this excess with setting a Frame Rate Target of 60 FPS in EVGA Precision.

used EVGA precision to set a Frame Rate Target. Are both the same under the hood, but precision has the advantage of unlocked voltage control for g104 and higher chips. But thanks for your advice. Using Precision or Afterburner to set FPS limit is a viable fix.

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

You can force V-sync through the Nvidia control panel. I have had to do it with games in the past where the frame rate would skyrocket making my GPU fan run at 100%, very noisy and the card got too hot.

Nope, I checked. By the default I use adaptive VSYNC. Went through all options (OFF,NO, Adaptive, Adaptive (half refresh rate (30fps)) for no change in behavior.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

so it sorted? or not[8|][X(]
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

so it sorted? or not[8|][X(]

Sorry there has been a misunderstanding. A fix for the issue itself I have found already which I have stated in the last sentence of my first post.
The whole reason why I made this thread is to plead the devs to implement a solution, so we don't need a workaround in the first place. Hence the suggestion tag in the subject line.

I noticed in Panzer Corps the GPU stays in 2D mode, but in Armageddon it switch to 3D mode. I assume this is because of the engine rewrite?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ah ok thanks, will pass it on and consider this done then :)

ty

Return to “Tech Support”