[FIXED v1.06] asw patrol aircraft and helicopters

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

JPFisher55

[FIXED v1.06] asw patrol aircraft and helicopters

Post by JPFisher55 »

Why do all helicopters and aircraft on asw patrol use their highest altitude when patrolling. They drop sonobouys from this altitude. This is not realistic.
They should patrol at fairly low altitude or min to use dippin sonar and drop sonobouys from low altitude.
thewood1

RE: asw patrol aircraft and helicopters

Post by thewood1 »

If you do a search, this has been discussed and explained a few times.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

And less than five minutes...the first result

tm.asp?m=3520662&mpage=1&key=sonobouy%2 ... e&#3520696
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: JPFisher55

Why do all helicopters and aircraft on asw patrol use their highest altitude when patrolling. They drop sonobouys from this altitude. This is not realistic.
They should patrol at fairly low altitude or min to use dippin sonar and drop sonobouys from low altitude.

Most of this will be resolved in the next update. Coming soon.

Mike
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I hope these issues are soon resolved. I have been playing this Duelist Scenario (I attach saved game) and my nimrods do not work at all. They don't want to launch their stingray torpedos even when on top of the goblin. If I try to manually control them, they have tendency to spin around no matter what course I plot. Also, the Triggerfish torpedos carried by my two subs seem to be useless against enemy subs. I hope that asw can be vastly improved.
Attachments
Duelists.zip
(223.15 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

I have been playing this Duelist Scenario (I attach saved game) and my nimrods do not work at all. They don't want to launch their stingray torpedos even when on top of the goblin.

If you try to do a manual weapon allocation, what is the reason they are giving you for not firing?
If I try to manually control them, they have tendency to spin around no matter what course I plot.

Can you elaborate on that? Can you provide a save file for investigation?
Also, the Triggerfish torpedos carried by my two subs seem to be useless against enemy subs.

"Useless" as in....?

Are you firing them from too long a range and they're unable to catch up when the targets hear them, turn tail and run?

Are you firing them on unrefined contact info (large AoU) so when they arrive where you think the target is and they search on their own, the target is not there?

Are they guiding just fine and catching up with the targets just fine but something unexpected happens with regards to impact and damage inflicted?

Please be as specific on your problem reports as possible (see also tech support guidelines here). A report starting and ending with "my torps are useless against enemy subs" is useless to us, and ultimately doesn't help you at all either. A report going like "I fired a torpedo at this sub contact and it impacted but did not sink it as I expected, here's a pre-impact save file for investigation" is actually helpful.

Thanks!
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

I suspect in this instance the scenario is working correctly. For the Nimrod's they will prosecute a target but will drop to a lower altitude to torpedo the target. The Tigerfish is a slow torpedo so the UK subs are best detecting but not attacking the enemy sub's.

I think that's how the scenario was designed to be fair, Tigerfish can be used but it has to be pretty much a point blank range shot.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
ojms

Post by ojms »

Also tigerfish isn't the best torpedo anyway, hence why they used the type 8 torpedos to sink the belgrano.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

The problem with the Tigerfish torpedo in this game is that it's speed is 35 knots and max range of 4nm which is almost useless by 1989, so this is not a game error.
The Nimrod stingray torpedo would not launch at over .2nm from the sub and at a very low altitude. So by the time, the nimrod gets to this low altitude it is out of range.
The .2nm laundh range seems low because the torpedo has a range of 8-11 km, maybe this launch range should be 1-2nm.
I hope that the upcoming update fixes this issue.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

The problem with the Tigerfish torpedo in this game is that it's speed is 35 knots and max range of 4nm which is almost useless by 1989, so this is not a game error.
Indeed it's not a game error. The Tigerfish never boasted a long range or high speed to deal with Alfas and the like - indeed, that was one of its notorious shortcomings and the reason Spearfish was urgently (desperately in fact) called for.
The Nimrod stingray torpedo would not launch at over .2nm from the sub and at a very low altitude. So by the time, the nimrod gets to this low altitude it is out of range.
The .2nm laundh range seems low because the torpedo has a range of 8-11 km, maybe this launch range should be 1-2nm.
This is by design. If you drop the torpedo far from the search point then it wastes over half its fuel just getting there. By the time it does at least one scan and hopefully locates the target, it is almost out of fuel. This is why you have to drop it very close to the search activation point. This is consistent with RL practice.
I hope that the upcoming update fixes this issue.
Nothing to fix, both reported items are WAD.

Thanks!
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

The only item to fix is the patrol altitude of asw aircraft or helicopters. It should be low not high. I look forward to this fix.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

You'll see this on the next public release.

Return to “Tech Support”