1.232 First Impression

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

1.232 First Impression

Post by Omnius »

I got stuck with 1.215 on a naval battle so decided to give the 1.232 public beta a try to see if it solved my problem. I had to stop after the first round of a big naval battle and saved at the screen for deciding to continue the naval combat. I tried restoring the saved game in 1.215 but it gave me a screen later in the process that wouldn't do anything as the button for going to the next phase was blanked out.

I downloaded and restored the saved game without a hitch as 1.232 took me right to the correct screen and let me finish the naval battle. So looks like the naval fixes were well done.

I recently reported a bug in 1.215 where I would get a superfluous declare war screen when the screen for deciding an impulse's action comes up for the Chinese. The first time around that superfluous screen did not interfere.

In 1.215 when moving units it was taking a really long time for the program to finish the move so I could move another unit. I found that 1.232 shortened the long wait somewhat but the wait is still too long. Almost as if the program is recalculating supply for every unit. I'm at the Mar/Apr 1948 turn and have noticed how the program is bogging down as I get late into the timeline.

I did encounter a problem in an air combat where it just plain froze in the first round of air combat. I restored and it did fine. The restore takes almost 5 minutes now, sure hope that can be reduced in the future.

I'm hoping I can finish up my Brute Force game to see if I can invade Japan and capture Tokyo for the automatic victory.

Omnius
Omnius

1.232 Last Impression

Post by Omnius »

After discovering two new bugs that are game killers to me I've decided that version 1.232 is not ready for prime time!

I found that while strategic bombers are being halved more than once for having more than one reason for halving, it is halving strategic bombers flying at regular range. I was bombing a clear hex in clear weather and 3 B-29's were well within their 12 hex range and showed as flying but not as flying extended. That means that strategic and carpet bombing are worthless right now.

I also found a very nasty carrier return bug where more than half of the American carrier planes couldn't return from an attack in the same naval zone from which the planes were launched and the battle was fought. There was no reason why their carriers should have been deemed ineligible. I'm wondering if I overloaded the memory with too many planes.

I just finished up my Brute Force game in the May/Jun 1948 turn. I found that the program took over 7 minutes to restore a saved game. I also had to wait over 30 seconds for units to make their moves. This was a little better than in 1.215.

I was going to start a new game doing the 1944 scenario to practice using oil rules again and to do a short game but have decided that 1.232 is not up to the task since the strategic and carpet bombing is screwed up badly. I'm just going to give MWiF a rest for a few months and play another game that is less frustrating and more finished. A pity that a year after release MWiF still has so many bugs making the game not worth playing. I hope 1.232 is fixed better so that we can have unlimited divisions, proper strategic bombing factors being reduced or not, extended range ground support and a fix to ensure that all carrier planes can return to their carriers without a problem.

Omnius
Centuur

RE: 1.232 Last Impression

Post by Centuur »

Can you post a saved game for that strategic bombardment bug in the Tech forum? It hasn't been reported yet...

Edit: this did cross with your bug report, I believe...
Peter
Omnius

Saved game posted

Post by Omnius »

Centuur,
I posted saved games for both of my 1.232 bug reports in the Tech Forum. I have plenty of beta testing experience so when I encounter a problem I save files.

Omnius

Return to “World in Flames”