1.232 Carrier Return Bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

1.232 Carrier Return Bug

Post by Omnius »

In this 1.232 saved game I had just moved a US infantry division onto Tokyo and caused the Japanese fleet there to rebase. After moving one Japanese carrier out and not getting intercepted I opted for making a big group move into the Japanese Coast sea area. After fighting one round of a naval air combat I discovered much to my chagrin that more than half of my US carrier planes couldn't return to their aircraft carriers because the carriers were deemed ineligible. I would have been really peeved had it not been for the fact that I was just trying to trigger the automatic victory rule to end the game.

I'm not sure if I overloaded the program with the number of carrier planes I was flying. It was the first time I sailed the entire US fleet into one sea zone. I had done some naval air combats before with version 1.232 and didn't see this particular return problem. It was also the first time I was attacking units in the Zero sea area. Perhaps the program incorrectly tried to calculate distance back to the carriers wrong. Whatever the problem it needs to be fixed before 1.232 becomes official.

Omnius
Attachments
CarrierReturnBug.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Courtenay

RE: 1.232 Carrier Return Bug

Post by Courtenay »

Peter has figured out what the problem is, based on my AAR. In this version, carrier planes that are disorganized are being destroyed when they return to their carrier. This is a new bug, I think, and hope one that will be fixed quickly.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I can't load this game either... My machine isn't powerful enough to get it running...
Peter
fearlessdylan

Post by fearlessdylan »

I have also seen this happen on at least two occasions, and though i didn't note the disorganization state of the carrier planes at the time, i don't have any reason to think they would have been flipped (unless getting aborted from air to air combat at sea causes them to flip).

Also, you mentioned that this looks like a new bug, but the first time i saw it happen it was using version 1.0.0.0 (fresh install).

in case that helps,

dylan
Omnius

Patience

Post by Omnius »

Centuur,
It takes a lot of patience to load my saved game. On my machine it takes a good 6 minutes or so. You should see an error screen where you choose to continue the application and a few minutes later it restores the saved game. This points out a different problem in going into the later years like 1948 and having the program take too long doing things. It takes a good 30 seconds just to move a unit into a hex that isn't already friendly.

Omnius
Omnius

Quick Fix

Post by Omnius »

Courtenay,
I remember something about a carrier return bug as I read through earlier tech issues for 1.232. I wasn't sure if anyone had provided a saved game for this so when it happened to me I made sure to make a saved game of the problem before it happened.

Omnius
Centuur

RE: Patience

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Centuur,
It takes a lot of patience to load my saved game. On my machine it takes a good 6 minutes or so. You should see an error screen where you choose to continue the application and a few minutes later it restores the saved game. This points out a different problem in going into the later years like 1948 and having the program take too long doing things. It takes a good 30 seconds just to move a unit into a hex that isn't already friendly.

Omnius

Well, you're machine is probably more powerfull than mine, because after three Mad Excepts (which occurs every five minutes) I terminated the thing... 15 minutes is too much for me to wait...

We know what causes this bug and have a saved game from another game available to fix this. This bug only involves disorganised CVP flying in a naval air combat...
Peter

Return to “Tech Support”