Forts too slow in 1.08?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

darbycmcd

Forts too slow in 1.08?

Post by darbycmcd »

It seemed to me that my Sov guys were really slow to dig in in this new version, is that something I was imagining? It is a bit of a problem because the combination of high movement for the Germans with HQBU and lack of fortification means that there is very little hindrance to very deep penetrations.
Peltonx

RE: Forts too slow in 1.08?

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: darbymcd

It seemed to me that my Sov guys were really slow to dig in in this new version, is that something I was imagining? It is a bit of a problem because the combination of high movement for the Germans with HQBU and lack of fortification means that there is very little hindrance to very deep penetrations.

Same speed, but sappers don't help or something like that
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

I thought the notes said slower construction but the Reds had a slight bonus.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe it's the new limits to fort levels?
darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

I am not even sure why there are the limits to forts actually. Both sides fortified extensively at quite a distance from the FEBA, actually it is the only way you can create those types of forts. The idea that you have to wait until the enemy is in close proximity to start putting in concrete pillboxes is... not really historical or rational. When you combine that with the game mechanics (the one week turn issue) and the ability of the Axis to advance at highly unrealistic rates, it is a problem. I mean, when using HQBU the german schwerpunkt can move more than 200 miles in a turn, it makes the limit... limiting. And is it true that sappers don't help fortify? why is that? it is a primary mission of combat engineers to do exactly that. In fact that is a far more common mission for these troops than fortification reduction.

morvael

Post by morvael »

For those purposes you have fort units. They will allow you to build higher fort levels back in the rear. Obviously constructing 2000km long bunker lines is not possible (due to fort unit limit), but you can fortify important places and build longer lines around Leningrad and Moscow. Fort units also have a bonus to construction points and in 1.08.01 it will be again possible to assign support units to them, further increasing the speed of fort building.

Also, it's not true that sappers do not help. They help. What was removed was the ability of other units than construction and engineer from assisting in fort building. Surely, Army HQ would not send Howitzer Regiments to dig trenches for the infantry at front. One sapper unit from each of the HQs in the chain and in range (higher level HQs have longer ranges) may be sent to help. One unit helps once per phase.

Also, population builds more forts now than before.

All in all you have to spice up crucial points with fort units, and have sapper units on hand in the HQs, preferably in the higher ones as well.

Return to “The War Room”