CHRISTMAS SALE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wegman58

CHRISTMAS SALE

Post by wegman58 »

Download: $49.99 (normally $79.99)
Boxed: $64.99 (normally $94.99)

If you are a fence sitter.
Bill Goin
Bullwinkle58

RE: CHRISTMAS SALE

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Nice deal.
The Moose
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Is War Plan Orange (also on sale) worth it?
Bill Goin
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

$50 for this monster? Is there a better deal anywhere? That's an amazing opportunity. Anyone even remotely interested in the Pacific War would be remiss to not jump all over this deal. It's a bargain at three times the price.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm assuming you're bailing. How much do we have to pay to retain your presence?

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I bought it last year on holiday sale, but to be honest I haven't played more than an hour of it.

I still want to, as it's a ton of surface combat, but I just haven't had the time.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I have it from a while ago. I have used some of the ship art for WITPAE mods. Seems to be interchangeable....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

WPO plays very slowly as ships are slow and without planes for recon you need to literally stumble into a fight more times than not. The short legs of the ships also contributes to this, IMHO, being a very interesting era, but a hugely boring game.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Bought (DLC):

DC The Blitzkrieg: Warsaw to Paris

DC Case Blue

Harpoon Ultimate Edition

GG WitE Lost Battles expansion

That should hold me for a while. War in the West is a strong possibility upon release.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

I'd be looking at War in the West 6mths after release before I'd consider dropping the cash on it. I've seen nothing to match this game since I found it.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

I fell off that fence almost 5 years ago now. [:D]
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

I'm a fence sitter on this one. every Christmas sale that this one is marked down, I consider it but do not pull the trigger. the game looks so good but also seems like it would be a micromanagement game. I know it i t is very detailed but do you have to bog down in the micro aspects? I played UV many years ago a bit and it was OK and starting to grow on me then I got distracted by a seven ASL binge and never came back. Can you kick me off the fence?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The amount of management is up to you. Many people here do amazing things with their pilot pools as an example. Me I just send them out to die [X(]. The only thing I do is take 80+ skill level and add them to the training pools once a month.

I also use the Auto Convoy system a LOT. Regardless of what people say it does work and can reduce the amount of work needed. Of course you need to spend the time going to a LOT of bases and turning their AC 'switch' Off so that you do not have freighter trying to supply Bataan in early '42 as an example. Plus if you play as the Allies against the stock AI, you really don't have to do anything for awhile, other than run and just build up for the first year. And still have fun [:)]

The hardest thing to do for either side is get through the first six months and especially Dec '41. Once you get over that hump, things get pretty easy to manage and the turns go a lot faster.

Also a key point to remember is that each turn is a DAY. So you do not have to do it all (although many of us try to lol) in a single turn. One turn you can do convoy routing, next turn AC missions, etc. So if your personality can handle it [:)], you can break it up into more manageable chucks by turns.

I hope this helped
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

The amount of management is up to you

As I recall from UV that was true; you could sett hew program to do many things for you. But it always made me wonder if I could be managing things better... or not.

Day turns? [X(] Wow I didn't know that. How fast do they go by?

How are the scenarios? Is the game worth it just to play scenarios?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

As I recall from UV that was true; you could sett hew program to do many things for you. But it always made me wonder if I could be managing things better... or not.

Yes.

It really is quite simple.

1. Anyone who considers themselves to be a grognard should have this game. In fact if they don't thave it hey are really not a grognard.

2. Anyone who has an interest in the PTO should have this game. There is nothing which comes close to AE in terms of covering the PTO.

3. Yes there is considerable micro management required if you want to squeeze the absolute maximum performance out of the code but this is not essential to enjoy a good game.

4. The replayability is huge. Obviously so against a human opponent in PBEM but also against the AI which basically has 13 scripts per scenario to elect.

5. You will find no better forum to answer your queries. Unlike many other matrix games, the AE forum is very much alive and several well informed forumites will answer promptly your queries.

Alfred
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

Yes.

It really is quite simple.

1. Anyone who considers themselves to be a grognard should have this game. In fact if they don't thave it hey are really not a grognard.

2. Anyone who has an interest in the PTO should have this game. There is nothing which comes close to AE in terms of covering the PTO.

3. Yes there is considerable micro management required if you want to squeeze the absolute maximum performance out of the code but this is not essential to enjoy a good game.

Alfred, this statement really helped me. I truly love the micromanagement; and feel that to get the most out of a turn I need to do the homework on my end (i.e. attention to detail) so that the code can optimize it's work due to better preparation on my part.

4. The replayability is huge. Obviously so against a human opponent in PBEM but also against the AI which basically has 13 scripts per scenario to elect.

5. You will find no better forum to answer your queries. Unlike many other matrix games, the AE forum is very much alive and several well informed forumites will answer promptly your queries.

Alfred

A very succinct and accurate response, Sir. I am absolutely addicted to playing AE because of all of the above.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

Convinced. It is downloading as I type this.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Is the manual that ships with the hard copy of the game still any good or is it worthless? I see lots of games here change so much the hard copy with manual becomes a waste. But I'm old school and feel really attached to having a manual, but not if its obsolete.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Is the manual that ships with the hard copy of the game still any good or is it worthless? I see lots of games here change so much the hard copy with manual becomes a waste. But I'm old school and feel really attached to having a manual, but not if its obsolete.

The manual is still at least 90% valid. Maybe 95%. You can't hope to play the game without reading it.

I bought the version with the printed manual. It's a throwback manual to the old days of gaming. I enjoyed having something to read in bed and in the head. But after I read it twice it went in the drawer and I use the PDF now. I use the word search function almost exclusively to refresh on some minor point. For me it was worth the $10 or whatever to have the printed manual at first.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Just went on a spending spree and bought both Command and Flashpoint! [X(]

And WitW is just around the corner... Guess that one will have to wait for a while! [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”