Wallis, Fortuna and Mata Utu Islands

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

el cid again

Wallis, Fortuna and Mata Utu Islands

Post by el cid again »

The stock map art and database contains an error.
The Horne Islands(138,157)are, in fact, Wallis &
Fortuna Islands. But Wallis Island is shown as being
at hex 142,156. That island, in fact, is Mata Utu.
Do not confuse Mata Utu ISLAND with Mata Utu TOWN which
is on Wallis. Mata Utu Island is located in the hex
indicated above.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Hoorn Islands

Hoorn Islands (Futuna and Alofi)
with Futuna Island in the northwest
The Hoorn Islands (also Futuna Islands) are one of the two island groups of which the French overseas collectivity (collectivité d'outre-mer, or COM) of Wallis and Futuna is geographically composed. The aggregate area is 115 km², and the population 4,873 (census of 2003).

Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Geography
3 See also
4 References

History[edit]

The archipelago was named by the Dutch navigators Willem Schouten and Jacob Le Maire, first Europeans to visit the islands in 1616. It was named after the Dutch city of Hoorn, from which the expedition started.
chemkid

RE: Wallis, Fortuna and Mata Utu Islands

Post by chemkid »

Symon

Post by Symon »

Actually, chemkid, the game map is correct.

Fortuna (properly Futuna) is simply the largest of the islands comprising the Hoorn Islands group, including Futuna, Alofi, and a couple of other dinky ones. The island group is named The Hoorn Islands on all maritime cartographic materials.

Hoorn Islands are correctly named and placed on the game map.

The Wallis Islands group is 230 km NE and comprises Wallis Island, Nukufotu, Nukuloa, Nukuhione, Nukuhifala, Nukuaeta, Faioa, and several other dinky ones. The main island is named Wallis Island and the island group is named The Wallis Islands on all maritime cartographic materials.

Wallis Island is correctly named and placed on the game map.

Mata’Utu is simply the largest town on Wallis Island serving as the capital of Royaume d’Uvea. It is not and never was an island.

Republique Francaise - La Prefecture, Administration Superieure Des Iles Wallis et Futuna – service de l’Etat et du Territoire

[ed] Please do not use the OP information in your maps. It is incorrect.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Symon

Post by Symon »

Hi Chemkid. Ahh !! I see where your confusion comes from. If one searches google maps, the default graphic comes up in a scale too close to show both island groups, so it shows the Hoorn group and Futuna Island has a bold label over it that says “Wallis and Futuna”. But that’s just the label of the polity. Zoom in and you’ll see there’s no Wallis there, just Futuna and Alofi.

Similarly, if one zooms out to get to the Wallis group, the google map label is Mata’utu. But if one zooms in, one sees that Mata’utu is simply the name of the “capital” town and the name of the island is Wallis.

Think your confusion is simply due to a shoddy job of labeling by the google maps folks.

JeffK’s reference brings up an interesting point. Wallis has three names. The group is cartographically noted as the Wallis Islands (with an ‘s’). The big Island is noted as Wallis Island (no ‘s’). Alternatively, the whole magilla could be called Uvea. That’s the indigenous name, but it’s rather non-denominational as to whether it refers to the island group as a whole, the big island itself, of simply the local extent of the polity (Royaume d’Uvea as the French have it).

If you are into stuff like this, I think it would be a nice, respectful, gesture to relabel your map graphic for Wallis to Uvea. One can always name the base as Wallis Island in the scen data. I’m not suggesting you should, Wallis is quite correct, but I kinda like those special pieces of chrome that honor the Pacific Islanders who had to bear up under the war thunder and see their way of life changed forever. Woof !! getting way too philosophical in my old age. [:D]

[ed] thinking on it, Uvea might not be all that good an idea. Relabeling one opens up a Pandora’s Box of other legitimate requests. Should have thought through the implications. Sorry.

I do some naming AEaster Eggs in the scen data. That seems to be the most appropriate place to do things like that. One can change scen data easily, but the map graphics are cast in stone, as it were.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: chemkid
+1 (but when do i start to integrate this chrome back into an english version of the map?!) [:D]

ps: i'm very much into this stuff. translating the whole shebang into japanese (labeling and all) for my 'yamato damashii' mod...
Looked at your site and see the problem. Best idea is just keep the Wallis part, as you have it on your entry #32: ƒEƒxƒA“‡ Don't have Japanese character sets on this keyboard language list, so it might not show up when this gets posted.

Doing good chemkid. Your heart is certainly in the right place. Ciao, JWE

[ed] nope, didn't show. Oh well.
Yippy Ki Yay.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Symon
ORIGINAL: chemkid
+1 (but when do i start to integrate this chrome back into an english version of the map?!) [:D]

ps: i'm very much into this stuff. translating the whole shebang into japanese (labeling and all) for my 'yamato damashii' mod...
Looked at your site and see the problem. Best idea is just keep the Wallis part, as you have it on your entry #32: ƒEƒxƒA“‡ Don't have Japanese character sets on this keyboard language list, so it might not show up when this gets posted.

Doing good chemkid. Your heart is certainly in the right place. Ciao, JWE

[ed] nope, didn't show. Oh well.
Just post a tiny screen pic of it!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”