[FIXED B733] Weird nuclear Nike Hercules behaviour

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Schr75

[FIXED B733] Weird nuclear Nike Hercules behaviour

Post by Schr75 »

Hi Devs

I finally found out how to load nuclear Nike Hercules on to the launcher, thanks again poosd, and I was able to recreate poosd´s experience.

There´s definitely something odd about the nuke Nike Hercules. It do hit once in a while, but mostly it misses, but creates a massive fireball that fails to kill anything. I have even seen it kill one plane in a tight three ship formation, and leaving the other two unscathed.

Sometimes it actually kills it´s target but don´t detonate, and then self destruct because it´s running blind. This is a behavior I have seen once or twice before, on nuclear warheads (Atlas, Minuteman etc).

My feeling is that the hit/miss logic is not considering the nuclear warhead at all, and just considers this as a conventional missile, and then just displays the fireball.

Attached is my test scen and two save games.

The first save is the hit/miss when the missile kills the target but doesn´t detonate and then runs blind.
The second is a 20kt detonation about 1000m from a Bison and no damage.

I hope this helps.

Søren
Attachments
NukeHercules.zip
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mikmykWS

RE: Weird nuclear Nike Hercules behaviour

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks Soren. We'll take a look!

Mike
Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

Hi Mike

Just did some more testing. It appears that the warhead is set for ground burst regardless of the target altitude.
If it hit a target flying at 12km, the target right next to it is well out of the lethal range and survives, but ground targets and low flying targets at ranges of up to about 2nm are killed.

Hope this helps.

Søren
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Thanks will update :)
ORIGINAL: Schr75

Hi Mike

Just did some more testing. It appears that the warhead is set for ground burst regardless of the target altitude.
If it hit a target flying at 12km, the target right next to it is well out of the lethal range and survives, but ground targets and low flying targets at ranges of up to about 2nm are killed.

Hope this helps.

Søren
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

BUMP
ORIGINAL: .Sirius

Hi Mike

Hope this helps.

Søren

Hi Paul

I know this is quite an old issue, but I just noticed playing Deter, Detect, Defend, that my AIR-2 Genie´s were not working right, so I put this test scen together using the latest Command build and DB(v1.08final CWDB439).

In it, a group of ten tightly (very!) grouped bombers are attacked by first a Genie armed F-106, and then a battery of nuclear Nike Hercules.

At high altitude I never achieve more than a single kill at a time. With the genie I even achieve the kill the second the endgame calculation is finished, but before the shockwave have reached the target.

At low altitude the nuclear warheads are just as lethal as you would expect. I have managed nine kills with one Nike Hercules.

The attached scen shows 10 bombers (at high altitude) heading towards an F-106, with a Genie, and a nuclear armed Nike Hercules battery. Both sides are neutral, so all fire is manual, giving time to experiment.

Try experimenting with different ingress altitudes, and you will see my point, I hope:).

I hope this is usefull

Søren

PS. Would it be possible to add the nuclear Nike Hercules to the appropriate US units, or should I post this request in the DB thread?
Attachments
NukeAntiAirTest.zip
(12.31 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

Just changed the thread title as I realized the old title probably wouldn´t start a new inquiry.
Not to be a PITA[:)]

Søren
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Thanks looking into it

BUMP
ORIGINAL: .Sirius

Hi Mike

Hope this helps.

Søren

Hi Paul

I know this is quite an old issue, but I just noticed playing Deter, Detect, Defend, that my AIR-2 Genie´s were not working right, so I put this test scen together using the latest Command build and DB(v1.08final CWDB439).

In it, a group of ten tightly (very!) grouped bombers are attacked by first a Genie armed F-106, and then a battery of nuclear Nike Hercules.

At high altitude I never achieve more than a single kill at a time. With the genie I even achieve the kill the second the endgame calculation is finished, but before the shockwave have reached the target.

At low altitude the nuclear warheads are just as lethal as you would expect. I have managed nine kills with one Nike Hercules.

The attached scen shows 10 bombers (at high altitude) heading towards an F-106, with a Genie, and a nuclear armed Nike Hercules battery. Both sides are neutral, so all fire is manual, giving time to experiment.

Try experimenting with different ingress altitudes, and you will see my point, I hope:).

I hope this is usefull

Søren

PS. Would it be possible to add the nuclear Nike Hercules to the appropriate US units, or should I post this request in the DB thread?
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Fixed in B733. In the first savegame a successful detonation will destroy the entire bomber group.

Thanks for spotting this one [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Return to “Tech Support”