What else do you want to know more about?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Dangun

RE: What else do you want to know more about?

Post by Dangun »

To what extent does the game reward tedious micromanagement, as WiTE did with things like assigning support units, HQ build-ups, magic fuel drops etc?
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Dangun

To what extent does the game reward tedious micromanagement, as WiTE did with things like assigning support units, HQ build-ups, magic fuel drops etc?

I think that I've shown that I am happy to discuss most aspects of the game but on a point of principle I don't answer loaded questions. [:-]
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
tiger111

Post by tiger111 »

Could you please tell us more about supply depots.
In particular,how are they formed? What is the supply range to friendly units?Any additional information on what is their best deployment doctrine would be good.
Also how do you reveal them on the map.Thankyou
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Fwiw, I hate micromanagement in a game but WitE is one of my favorite games and I am looking forward to WitW. The genius of the design lies in the variable transparency of the games regarding their complexity. WitE can be played while ignoring the complexity under the hood, I.e. complete opacity, or you can delve into the detail as you learn and let the engine be as transparent or complex as you wish. This is how I learned WitE and I am still playing it lo these many years later. And I am only a dilletante. Complain about the complexity if you like and don't get the game but you will be missing one of the finest gaming experiences on the planet.

I came up for air after playing two days straight with the newest version of WitE last weekend. I had been lost in one of the most immersive and satisfying gaming interludes I have had.

Carry on...
ORIGINAL: Dangun

RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Augustas

Could you please tell us more about supply depots.
In particular,how are they formed? What is the supply range to friendly units?Any additional information on what is their best deployment doctrine would be good.
Also how do you reveal them on the map.Thankyou

You can create a depot in a named location on the map via the City Detail Screen. The size and type of depot created depends on port and railyards in the hex. Depots can ship to up to 50 hexes away - either Depot to Depot by Rail or Depot to Unit by Truck. The further you need to go by truck the less you will get. German and non-motorized Allied units can get freight from a depot up to 3 hexes away without vehicles by using horses but this costs double due to fodder consumption. Western Allies units within one hex of a depot get deliveries ‘free’ using their own vehicles.

The best deployment is to put them in places which maximise depot capacity and close to units to reduce truck usage.

The hotkey n shows what we call the logistics display where you can see the depots with freight movement bars, priority and rail usage.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

I apologise for the question appearing overly loaded, let me re-phrase...

My experience of person vs person WiTE was that victory seemed more determined by the min-maxing of complex mechanisms of dubious historicity, like the aerial resupply of panzers with fuel. Although I could name others.

So I am legitimately wondering, after having been disappointed with the degree to which PvP victory in WiTE was determined by micromanagement and mastering arcane mechanisms, whether WiTW has tried to address issues like this that feature so prominently on the forums?

If the answer was yes, I would be far more likely to open my wallet.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

WitW is massively complex. If you play someone who knows the system better and is willing to invest more time and effort per turn then you will lose. I think at the basic level the same premise applies to chess. However......

....we have done our level best to remove exploits and ahistoric behaviour from the game. There are players who actively seek exploits. Unfortunately I'm sure that they'll find some but we have tried.

....we have tried to put in plenty of automated system for those who don't want to spend time micromanaging but doing it yourself is always better.

My advice for an enjoyable game is find matched opponents.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Will the game be Windows 8.1 compatible? I ask because I am unable to play WITP:AE now I have updated my computer.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I'm playing on Windows 8.1
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

How are replacements handled for the minor allies such as the Belgians,Dutch,Brazilian,jewish and Polish units ?

Are the Itallian units formed by the allies after the armistice in the OOB , can you post a screenshot of a unit ?

chees
"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

Has combat engine been improved since WitE?

(main issues (as far as I remember)in WitE:

Artifical losses generated as a effect of hold/retreat results
Superiority of High Rate of Fire Elements
"Mad rush" of elements towards range 0)
Kamil
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

ORIGINAL: Devonport

Will the game be Windows 8.1 compatible? I ask because I am unable to play WITP:AE now I have updated my computer.

AE works with 8.1 There are numerous threads in tech support that will help you make it work
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

How are replacements handled for the minor allies such as the Belgians,Dutch,Brazilian,jewish and Polish units ?

Are the Itallian units formed by the allies after the armistice in the OOB , can you post a screenshot of a unit ?

chees

Each nation has its own manpower pool - Belgian, Dutch, Brazilian and Poles are in game but they draw equipment from US, BR or Commonwealth pools. The Jewish Inf Bde is a unit but behaves as any BR Unit.

Yes the Italians switch sides and there are WA (Western Allies) Italian counters. As requested here is a screenshot.

Let me know if it's not quite what you wanted to see.

Attachments
WAItaly.jpg
WAItaly.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 165 times
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Kamil

Has combat engine been improved since WitE?

Yes....[;)]
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Laskaris

Post by Laskaris »

Two questions if I may:

1. The product info mentions "improved map projection that minimizes map distortion effects". Can you tell us which projection you used? From looking at the in-game minimap in the preview screens, I am not quite sure. Map projections are a hobby of mine, so I'm interested.

2. Since the new map is tile-based, will it be fully moddable? Are you planning to release a map editor with the game?

Thank you for the information!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Laskaris,
ORIGINAL: Laskaris
1. The product info mentions "improved map projection that minimizes map distortion effects". Can you tell us which projection you used? From looking at the in-game minimap in the preview screens, I am not quite sure. Map projections are a hobby of mine, so I'm interested.

Our cartographer, Jason Petho, would be the best informed to answer this and I'll see if he's available. I believe however that a Lambert Conformal Conic projection was the one we ended up using.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
magichicken

Post by magichicken »

How will the game handle Italy's surrender and the subsequent race between the Allies and Germans to occupy Italian positions (e.g. the Dodecanese campaign)?
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: magichicken

How will the game handle Italy's surrender and the subsequent race between the Allies and Germans to occupy Italian positions (e.g. the Dodecanese campaign)?

That's a good question and welcome to the forums.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

2. Since the new map is tile-based, will it be fully moddable? Are you planning to release a map editor with the game?

The art is moddable but not the hex attributes.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Our cartographer, Jason Petho, would be the best informed to answer this and I'll see if he's available. I believe however that a Lambert Conformal Conic projection was the one we ended up using.

Got a more precise answer from Jason for you:

"The projection is a Europe Lambert Conformal Conic with the central meridian at 10° and the standard parallels at 43° and 62°"

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”