Game crash

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
CapitanPiluso

Game crash

Post by CapitanPiluso »

Recently bought this game and I am attaching a crash report, any help will be great.
Thx in advance
Attachments
HannibalC..56325903.txt
(856 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)
mercenarius

RE: Game crash

Post by mercenarius »

Recently bought this game and I am attaching a crash report, any help will be great.

I'll look into this immediately, of course. Thanks for reporting it. And thanks for including the crash dump. I am very sorry for the inconvenience to you.

Let me ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the game in general behaving itself on your system? Or are you having frequent problems? In other words, is this crash an isolated case?

2) Do you remember what you were doing when the crash occurred? I ask this because the release version has limited debugging information contained in it (to make it a bit faster). It appears that you split an army from garrison and dropped it into the field in the province of Zeugitania. And then the game crashed while doing collision testing with another army in that province. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your purchase, and I apologize once again for the trouble you are having.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I believe that I have succeeded in duplicating your crash, and I think that I see what happened.

There is a problem with two of the Agricultural Estates in Zeugitania. If you have an army in the estate and you drop another army onto the estate then the game will crash. Is this what happened to you?

In any event, the game will eventually need a patch - and I apologize for that fact.

In the meantime, here is a work-around: the estates do not give any defensive bonus and you don't need to garrison them. You defend them by having an army in the field which can repel hostile armies.

So, just keep your armies in the field in Zeugitania or use the largest Agricultural Estate if you want to have fun with the estate. That estate - the one with the wheat in it - doesn't have any problems.

Again, I am sorry for this inconvenience. I'll coordinate with Matrix Games but I don't know how soon a patch can be issued. I'll have to build it, test it, and then Matrix will have to fit it into their development schedule.

Thanks again for purchasing "Hannibal."

Note: I am NOT saying that, as a matter of strategy, you should always keep large field armies in your home province. Sometimes you will and sometimes you won't. I only meant to say that if you do decide to keep a strong field army in Zeugitania, it doesn't need to be in one of the estates. You won't lose anything by having your army in the field outside of the estate.

I hope that this makes sense. Please feel free to scream at me on account of this error in the game, if you need to!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
ogre

Post by ogre »

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

Please feel free to scream at me on account of this error in the game, if you need to!

How can we scream at a developer who responds to a midnight crash report before the sun rises the next day then finds the bug and provides a work around before the breakfast sausage gets cold?
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

Thanks for the (ultra-fast) response.
I am attaching another crash report generated when I picked up a card.
This is weird because I played the demo several times and got no issues,but the full game seems to perform different.
BTW my system: DualCore Intel 2.8GHZ 2GB RAM Windows 7 Pro
Hope this helps to improve the game.
Thanks again.
Attachments
HannibalC..29194150.txt
(373 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
(Capt.Piluso)
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I am looking into this. It looks like a timing or a synchronization problem in a way that is "supposed to be impossible" - except it wasn't, for some reason.

You said that you "picked up a card." Do you mean that you clicked on one of your cards and were trying to move it around? Was there a modal dialog open like the ones used for playing a card in response, or mandatory card play before drawing another?

I ask this because it appears that the game tried to process a mouse click in a modal dialog when there was no mouse click event to process. And then the game hit a null pointer. Was there a modal dialog open when you clicked the mouse and crashed?

If problems persist I'll arrange for a private hot fix. There is no significant difference between the demo and the paid version in terms of graphics, event processing, etc. Naturally, I will keep thinking about this until I can see what went wrong.

Thanks for being patient. You are not getting your money's worth so far. That is definitely true. [:(]
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

I am looking into this. It looks like a timing or a synchronization problem in a way that is "supposed to be impossible" - except it wasn't, for some reason.

You said that you "picked up a card." Do you mean that you clicked on one of your cards and were trying to move it around? Was there a modal dialog open like the ones used for playing a card in response, or mandatory card play before drawing another?

I ask this because it appears that the game tried to process a mouse click in a modal dialog when there was no mouse click event to process. And then the game hit a null pointer. Was there a modal dialog open when you clicked the mouse and crashed?

If problems persist I'll arrange for a private hot fix. There is no significant difference between the demo and the paid version in terms of graphics, event processing, etc. Naturally, I will keep thinking about this until I can see what went wrong.

Thanks for being patient. You are not getting your money's worth so far. That is definitely true. [:(]
I really don´t remember if there was a dialog open to play a card.
On the other hand;I own many games and all of them have bugs,when you buy a game you know that in some point the game will not follow an expected behavior.
I am beginning to know this game,will tell you if something new appears,but for now the playability is quite good.
Regards.
(Capt.Piluso)
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I wanted to add an update here, particularly because I mentioned the next patch in my reply to the recent post by mikerolf1. I believe that I have reproduced this error as well and it should also be corrected in the next patch.

The error is a rare condition and I hope that it won't affect anyone else before the patch is released.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Return to “Tech Support”