Gary's New Graphics Thread

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

lion_of_judah

RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread

Post by lion_of_judah »

I think this background is rather good. I'll send you a PM with my email address, just shoot me an email back and I'll upload one of my image folders for one of my scenario's and I'll send it too you. Thanks

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Cavalry units.

Attachments
Sample25.jpg
Sample25.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 488 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Cavalry Pack: Files attached
Attachments
HorsePack.zip
(338.27 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Cavalry Pack: Files attached

Thanks, thanks, thanks.[&o]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Very very [8D]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

This should round out the infantry. Still lots of units to do, however.

Attachments
Sample26.jpg
Sample26.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 488 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Miscellaneous Units Pack: Files attached
Attachments
MiscUnits_Pack.zip
(174.26 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Wish I had your artistic skills. I'm experimenting (learning) how to incorporate these very well done graphics into ATG.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thank you for the kind words Webizen. It's not too difficult to do with a little know-how, the right tools and being motivated by such a great game. Back on page 1 of this thread I posted some links to various software programs anyone can get and experiment with (a lot of fun too). One of them, the 3D modeler is free. The rendering program I use is only $30+ right now on Amazon. There are tutorials, forums and other resources out there to learn the software. It's been a lot of fun and very useful for a gamer like me, and if I can learn I'm sure most others can too. I started out doing animated units for Civilization III. That's where I learned most of my tricks. It's infinitely easier to render graphics for ATG than Civ III. You don't need to animate them moving in 8 different directions. [:)]
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I'm sort of back. I am putting them into my mods, and will try to also put them into vanilla if possible.

Comments:

They look really good. I see that you have gone down the rabbit hole of modding.

I don't mind the pith helmet so much. Perhaps it does look like an archeologist some. But, early in the war US naval and marine engineers used something like a pith helmet (and later the steel pot). I don't mind it.

The horses. Could you make them less red? To me, they are too red, but that is my taste.

US cavalry. Should use a campaign hat rather than steel pot.

Can you make a mountain infantry? Anything will do, but possible model would be the Alpini

Could you make a "commando" with a boonie hat?

For the purpose for a more generic game it would be nice to have an option for Guerrilla that is not arab.

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Glad to see you back Ormand! Thanks for the feedback. I created a new horse pack, preview below (mod files in the following post):

Attachments
Sample27.jpg
Sample27.jpg (129.52 KiB) Viewed 487 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

HORSE PACK II: Files attached
Attachments
HorsePackII.zip
(369.09 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I like that horse MUCH better!

I realized a campaign hat would look like the British helmet, except cloth, of course. I wonder if any cavalry in WWII used helmets. Possibly the Poles?
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

The poles typically wore a hat I believe, like the one below. I'm not sure about the other nations as they didn't use much in the way of cavalry once the war got started.

Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I uploaded several at2 files and Gary's graphics so far to the Scenario Bank. This is an atzip file that contains the graphics and several at2 files that have Gary's current graphics in place for various SFT's. This will not overwrite the basic game features. The graphics are replaced inside the at2 files with the editor.

The graphics will go into graphics/Gary-SFT directory.
The at2 files will go to the usual destination atgoldscenarios.
I also updated my mod files to default to the files with Gary's SFT graphics.

The at2 files are:

generic-gary.at2 --- Standard ATG file (original map graphics, no NATO counters unless you installed Webizen's)
anewdawn-gary.at2 --- ATG A new dawn (original map graphics, no NATO counters)
anewdawn2-gary.at2 --- ATG A new dawn with tank models (original map graphics, no NATO counters)
4Seasons-NewDawn-Basic-gary.at2 --- 4 Seasons + Gary graphics, equivalent to A new dawn
4Seasons-NewDawn-Basic-v2-gary.at2 --- 4 Seasons + Gary graphics, equiv. to anewdawn2
4Seasons-NewDawn-AddUnits-gary.at2 --- 4 Seasons + Gary graphics, a newdawn with new units
4Seasons-NewDawn-Divisions-v3.0-gary.at2 --- 4 Seasons Divisions + Gary graphics
4Seasons-NewDawn-Regiments-v3.0-gary.at2 --- 4 Seasons Regiments + Gary graphics

I think they are working OK. But, please check. I think I did Regiments and Divisions manually for each sft (boring). Later I realized it would be faster to do say Rifle I, and then copy this three times, rename it to Rifle II, III, and IV, load the data from the original SFTs, and then do some fixes. These involved making sure the upgrade path was OK and that they pointed to the correct production item. Hopefully, I caught all the "fixes" I needed to do. It was much faster to follow this path.

Made a small correction at 4:00 PM PDT. One of the new Peoples in Regiments was wrong.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Taking a few days break on the rendering. Going through some RL issues right now but I will try to get back to the tanks, planes and other units I still need to add soon.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. Back to unit creation and hopefully finishing up. I created some tanks (pictured below). the models are 100% my own creations. Let me know what you guys think of them. It's getting late and I'll try to post the game graphics some time late tomorrow night.

Attachments
Sample28.gif
Sample28.gif (69.51 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Josh

Post by Josh »

Can't believe I seem to have missed this whole thread? How did that happen? It's *great* work Gary, love it. Lots of details. That PzKpfw II a few pages back looks awesome, although the turret somehow seems a bit off but that's nitpicking, great job [&o]
Maybe Vic should implement this in AT Platinum [:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Can't believe I seem to have missed this whole thread? How did that happen? It's *great* work Gary, love it. Lots of details. That PzKpfw II a few pages back looks awesome, although the turret somehow seems a bit off but that's nitpicking, great job [&o]
Maybe Vic should implement this in AT Platinum [:)]

Many thanks Josh. The toughest part will be the ships unless I can find some pre-made models somewhere. I have some planes done. Maybe I'll be able to get to those over the weekend. [:)]
Vic

Post by Vic »

This is indeed amazingly well done work!
Did make a note here in my personal files :)
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”