PBEM System

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

Jgolch

PBEM System

Post by Jgolch »

Just wondering if the PBEM system in this game is the same as other AGEOD games. In other words, can you play the game hotseat through PBEM like in other AGEOD titles?
Queeg

RE: PBEM System

Post by Queeg »

It's the same.
balto

Post by balto »

I saved the PBEM part of the manual for last and I just read it. I also checked the Paradox website (Whitman). Am I correct in my understanding that you cannot password protect your PBEM?

loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: balto

I saved the PBEM part of the manual for last and I just read it. I also checked the Paradox website (Whitman). Am I correct in my understanding that you cannot password protect your PBEM?

No, you can't. There are several solutions to the trust issue that this raises. One don't play with someone you don't trust - its pretty clear if someone has decided to start reading your files - but in 4 years of AGE PBEM I've never encountered a situation that worried me. Two, you can swap the hosting routine so you each (or in the case of EAW, all) take a turn as host (this can also speed things up a little). Final option is to find a kind soul who will act as a neutral host and agree to send them the files.

I've never had any problems with the first solution to be honest.
balto

Post by balto »

Loki thank you for the response.

I hate that I bought this game. It is not the $40 that makes me hate it. What makes me hate it is that I spent about 30 hours reading manual, reading the forums, playing a few rounds vs AI, it order to get a hold of this horribly documented but obviously quality game. I bought it because of the posts on this site that state EAW comes alive with PBEM. I have not played PBEM in several years, but I felt like I was cheating myself of not giving a quality game such as this a try. I therefore bought it and spent the time under the premise that I would do the PBEM route.

I did not read the PBEM section at all because I figured that when I am ready, I will check it out and I am sure I can figure that out. Well, I was ready to PBEM yesterday and I read the manual. Of course, even this section was written so poorly it defies description. But to my horror I thought I saw that this is not password protected, and now it is confirmed. And I find in the original CW game that that also did not have it. You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!!

I think AGEOD's worst enemy (and that list is growing) is themselves. First off this has the crappiest most vague manual on a very complex game. You then read the posts and wiki and Youtube and you find that no one really has the game figured out. They are a million interpretations of MTSG, no one really knows. And on and on. Then everyone says, hey the AI sucks, but it thrives in PBEM. Then you find the clunky PBEM has no Password protection. How in the heck can they not introduce this super easy technology that is mandatory!!!

I have never flamed a developer because I have compassion for what is a thankless (and generally not profitable) labor of love. In fact, I have caught heat on here for defending Paradox and a few others. But holy cow, what a train wreck. If anyone wants to try this game, do not. It is not worth it.

As far as the comments about no one cheats or I do not cheat.., why does everyone have to say that? Just do the small tweak and put the protection in there, then no one has to say that and one would ever have "to wonder".

I would conclude with "if AGEOD inserts the protection in a patch, this game would be great." But I see the Athena system has been around for years and it is still unprotected. So for me.., NEVER EVER EVER on AGEOD.

Symple

Post by Symple »

Hmm, I am with Loki100. For me, PBEM is playing with friends (even if newly met). There are plenty of games with 'supposed' security, but as I learned, determined cheaters cannot be deterred. Passwords and even online host sites are just a pretense of 'safe' play. "Really honey, I wear protection."
I am not naive enough to suppose there are no cheaters. But if cheaters are your concern, do as loki100 suggests, get a neutral host. That is your only actual safeguard, password or not. I actually played against my first cheater in a game with passwords and no 'take backs.' Was I dumb . . .. I would support your ideal if it were realizable, but it is not.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Played the first ACW PBEM for a few years. Never had a cause for concern as far as cheating.

Now, doing the "mass everyone in the east and move" killed PBEM for me in the AACW 2.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
balto

Post by balto »

Come on, why are posting this about passwords can be by-passed, that is just crazy talk unless you are professional crypto person; we are just gamers. How come you do not just post, "yes you are right, it should have password protection." That would solve the problem of claiming you do not cheat or that you trust people that you have no real world connection with.

I am not posting any additional comments on this. I just wanted to make others aware of this massive flaw that is easy to diagnose, but will not be diagnosed.

Again, AGEOD NEVER AGAIN.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Hi

I'd strongly suggest you are over-reacting to a non-existant problem. I'm not sure of the coding issues, it maybe that something like password PBEM doesn't work easily with a WEGO turn resolution model or is the sort of thing that needs to be built in from first principles. In other words it may not be easy to add.

The simple truth is that the AGE PBEM community is relatively small and if cheating was a big issue you'd hear about it. For a while when AGEOD were with Paradox I shared the moderation of most of their threads and in a couple of years I had one person raise a concern that their opponent was cheating.

My feeling is that it would be pretty obvious if/when it was happening and why do it? One of the reasons I prefer PBEM is the feeling of a battle of wills with someone else, Athena is good (& as AGEOD patch their games they improve her decision making so she gets to be quite formidable), but she is not going to plot a riposte over 4-5 turns that is going to take you by surprise ... or fall straight into a long prepared trap.

Can, sort of, understand what you are saying, but there is no evidence that you are responding to a real problem.

Roger
ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Now, doing the "mass everyone in the east and move" killed PBEM for me in the AACW 2.

agree, the search for the perfect move/I win button is a bigger threat to having fun.
Jgolch

Post by Jgolch »

Balto,
Are you kidding? You can't be serious. You are going to call this game a piece of crap because the PBEM system does not have password protection? You need to chill out. I understand that a lot of time can go into playing a game, BUT it is just that. A GAME. There is no money riding on the result of the game (at least I hope there isn't). It is for fun and recreation. It is to scratch our itch for the love of military history. There are far more important things in life to worry about than whether your opponent is cheating in a computer GAME. If he is, WHO CARES! Is that going to affect whether you can help your children out with college tuition? OR something that is REALLY important. If he cheats then he is the one who has to live with himself. He still has to sleep at night. If it makes him feel like more of a man to cheat in computer wargame just to WIN then he really needs help. Relax. It's a HOBBY. I f you want to worry, worry about your job and your family. ENJOY THE GAME!

Return to “To End All Wars Series”