IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on Sale

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rhondabrwn

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on Sale

Post by rhondabrwn »

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on sale at Gamer's Gate for $2.95

Yes, the initial release sucked and the subsequent patches didn't solve all the problems with this, but then a group of dedicated flight sim modders stepped in and reworked the game.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... y.php?f=91

The game now gets excellent reviews as modded.

Just bought it, eager to try it out tonight.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Jeffrey H.

RE: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on Sale

Post by Jeffrey H. »

How is it ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I got the basic release installed and running without any obvious problems. Ran through one tutorial which was as basic as it gets. I then started downloading the 3 1/2 gigs of Team Fusion patches last night during my "free time" internet between the hours of 2 am and 8 am. Got that done with no problem.

I was out running around all day and haven't gotten the five patches installed yet. I'm reviewing the "New Pilot" pages and installation procedures at

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... 58&p=52711

Will probably get down to serious installation tomorrow.

I'm really impressed by the "Team Fusion" website and forums so far. Looking forward to actually getting into Cliffs of Dover. Definitely no regrets about spending $2.95!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Installed the first of the five Team Fusion patches and as directed, fired it up and gave it a try. Flew two single missions with only the keyboard controls, flying a Spitfire on the 1st run over the Channel and then a Hurricane over Dover. Graphics were set on High and despite having a seven year old computer it handled it beautifully, good frame rates, no stuttering. The animation of the machine guns firing were incredible... even shows the brass being ejected. Good audio.

I'm impressed, this looks like a lot of fun ahead. Pushing on to install the rest of the patches and get my Saitek control system configured.

Full price on Steam is $9.99 and worth it.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

Bought it a few days ago when you posted this and finally got the many patches installed correctly today.

TF 4.3 is the latest/most current version, correct?

Anyway, it runs great now. Thanks for the heads up.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Sounds tempting, get any more stick time in on the game yet ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

Bought it a few days ago when you posted this and finally got the many patches installed correctly today.

TF 4.3 is the latest/most current version, correct?

Anyway, it runs great now. Thanks for the heads up.

There is a 4.312 minipatch after 4.3. Only took a couple of minutes to install.

There are currently five patches to download, the 3.00 patch, the 3.01 minipatch, the 4.00 patch, the 4.3 patch and 4.312 minipatch. These can be reviewed and downloaded from here;
http://teamfusion.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Sounds tempting, get any more stick time in on the game yet ?

Not today... it was cloudy and overcast and I'm running on low batteries at the moment (and no gas for the generator). I did get all the patches installed though and am now ready for action tomorrow (sun permitting). I may fire it up for a bit just to check that the final patch is working OK (installation was trouble-free and easy).

This is a huge advance over IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Maps are detailed and colorful... even the Channel has realistic choppy water. The sun shades the cockpit in a realistic manner as you turn as well. Haven't been in combat to see the realistic battle damage that is claimed though I have seen some excellent screen shots. I also read that if you inflict damage on an enemy plane and then follow it the AI pilot will realistically try to save the plane until the progressive damage (like an engine fire) brings it down or the pilot manages a crash landing somewhere. That is some amazing depth in a flight sim.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover on sale at Gamer's Gate for $2.95

Yes, the initial release sucked and the subsequent patches didn't solve all the problems with this, but then a group of dedicated flight sim modders stepped in and reworked the game.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... y.php?f=91

The game now gets excellent reviews as modded.

Just bought it, eager to try it out tonight.

In the U.K. Gamersgate still want $10.00 for the game, but you've certainly kindled my interest. Back in the day, I used to play the first ever version of IL-2 Sturmovik to death!

What I was wondering was, if I buy this from Gamersgate I have to then load it through Steam (no problem with me), but are the Steam patches going to be compatible with the ones you suggest, or should you only use one or the other? I have never tried patching a Steam game before with anything other than their own patches. Any advice or knowledge you could pass on would be very welcome. Thanks a lot.
Richard
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

^ Yes, that's how I did it.

Bought the Steamcode from Gamersgate, install via Steam, then do the TF 5 patching thing.

The patches work fine with the Steam version.

FWIW, between each patch I did run the game for a short time (single player tutorial) and then delete the cache and shader files as recommended for those with patch install problems. Didn't have any problems, I just did it as a precaution.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks a lot for the tip, Tony.
Richard
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Been having problems with my Saitek X52 flight controller. Have downloaded and installed latest drivers and software, but it is taking time figuring out how to configure everything, especially the trim controls. In CLoD, proper trimming is really essential. The planes don't just fly straight and level "hands off" without adjustment and then readjustment at different altitudes (yea, it's that detailed!).

Just finished reading the 118 page manual and my head is still spinning from all the detailed flying instructions. No doubt that this is the most intensively accurate flight sim to date. The details on operating the bomb sights was quite a learning experience... as were the procedures needed to take over a gun station... you don't just blast away, you have multiple steps to get ready to fire as well as changing magazines.

Here's a good one... you can designate the various ammo types that go into your belts... such as specifying a tracer round every 7 bullets, then an armor piercing round, an incendiary round or two, then standard ball... you get the idea... custom tailored to your expected target and your combat strategy for where you aim and what kind of ammunition will take out that target. Whew... I learned more about ammo types in that manual than in all my historical reading!

Another... I had no idea that experienced British combat pilots would deploy their landing flaps in order to increase their rate of turn to get inside their opponent... and that German pilots couldn't because their flaps were to slow and awkward to deploy to be useful.

Just an incredible body of information... and that was just from the standard manual! Have barely looked at the "Team Fusion" materials (which supplement rather than replacing the standard manual).

And I am still in total AWE of hitting the "Zoom Button" and watching my Spit roar past me with MG's blazing! It really makes IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 look terribly dated. While checking out the joystick settings I ran through a couple of missions in that version, blew a bunch of enemy planes out of the air, and then yawned and went to bed... it just looks that dated in comparison to CLoD.

I was planning another late night session with it, but I was lazy today and didn't scrounge up firewood so it's 20 degrees out and I have no heat for tonight. Am switching off the computer and putting my battery power into running the waterbed heater just to help me make it through the night. Currently running with three blankets and three dogs curled up against me :) Bedroom has been getting down to 52 degrees WITH a fire in the stove all night, not sure how cold it will get without a fire... probably into the 40's. All part of "living on the edge" friends... retirement as my greatest adventure!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Zap

Post by Zap »

It looks as though you are looking at the difficulties with your choice of retirement lifestyle with the best possible attitude. Good luck, but get out there and get some firewood. You need to gat a good nights sleep. You will need reasonable heat to make it so.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Just checked my mail and got the November Update from Team Fusion. Cool video (beta) of new Wellington Bomber, check out the nose turret swinging around.

Hello virtual pilots,

Team Fusion has been hard at work preparing for the next release, labeled v5.0! TF5.0 will feature a completely new theater of war, new flyable aircraft, new objects for the FMB, and along with a plethora of bug fixing, will continue to create new features for our beloved IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

This weeks update further showcases just a glimpse at some of the work going on behind the scenes towards v5.0. With new flyable aircraft for fighter and bomber pilots alike, it's time to show off some of our work and improvements.

Here's this weeks update video that gives you a glimpse at what is to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF6yJ47sXgY

Feel free to join in on the update with this discussion thread: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... hp?t=13942

Thank you,

Team Fusion
"Keeping the dream alive"
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Zap

It looks as though you are looking at the difficulties with your choice of retirement lifestyle with the best possible attitude. Good luck, but get out there and get some firewood. You need to gat a good nights sleep. You will need reasonable heat to make it so.

So far, I've been sleeping well. I have an alternative down comforter and two blankets under me to shield me from the cold waterbed and I've been spared the hypothermia of past winters. The dogs have been amazing... I get them under the covers and they just lean right into me all night to keep me quite warm. They seem to sense when I need the heat.

Waiting for my kids to kick in some cash for firewood. Prices are going through the roof though... people are wanting $175 a cord this year, last year it was only $140, and back on the rez you could get a cord for $75.

I also need to unhook my propane space heater and take it in for a new thermocouple. Can't afford paying the service charge for someone to come out here to the ranch ($75 before repairs even begin). I'm not real keen on using it though because it costs up to $400 a month in propane if I use it full time, even on the lowest possible setting. It is nice to be able to turn it on and stand over it with a blanket and get toasty warm in a cold kitchen at dawn though!

The good news is that the extreme sensitivity to cold temps that I had last year has gone away! Another one of those Cortisol related adrenal gland issues it seems. If you remember, I was getting chilled and shivering at 70 degrees if a draft hit me from a fan... it was just that rediculous. You can imagine what it was like during winter temps! Anyway, that problem is gone and temperature regulation, like my appetite and taste buds, is back to normal. Even the extreme skin sensitivity and pain has gone away. Just feeling really normal for a change!

Thanks for caring :)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Return to “General Discussion”