[Deleted]

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jim D Burns

RE: 2By3 games of the future

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Grotius
but is there any realistic possibility they'd toss in WITP for good measure? :)

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

[:D]

Jim
wodin

Post by wodin »

The man can not retire until he leaves us with a departing gift of a new monster Steel Panthers.
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Gary's been coding games since when, mid 80s? I doubt he'll be doing any other major designs past the big one that joins it all together. Unless you don't think he'd ever want to retire. I've loved every game he's ever made and would love him to go on till he falls over at his keyboard, but my guess is retirement would follow this last big effort.

Jim
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wodin

The man can not retire until he leaves us with a departing gift of a new monster Steel Panthers.
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Gary's been coding games since when, mid 80s? I doubt he'll be doing any other major designs past the big one that joins it all together. Unless you don't think he'd ever want to retire. I've loved every game he's ever made and would love him to go on till he falls over at his keyboard, but my guess is retirement would follow this last big effort.

Jim
Old coders never die, they just get deprecated.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

How about starting a thread about members here who have 2 accounts and have the same basic writing style it is obvious it is the same person.[8|][8|]

This made me LAUGH.
Flipper
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

It's directed at me, I have no idea what the point is, I renamed my account to sync with my account on the Slitherine forums.

Since 1999, I have not had the same account name consistently. I happen to know of numerous persons for one of numerous reasons all valid that have had to redo their account.

Aside from not retaining the entirely meaningless post count totals, and the equally meaningless account seniority states, you gain nothing else for never having changed in any fashion.

Some of the members here, have had the same writing style (a tedious one) and the same original account (judging by post counts and join date) and likely think they possess some sort of magical quality (they don't :) ). I suppose it might be interesting to know precisely how many posts I personally have posted since 2000, but considering database disasters of the past render that calculation impossible. Besides, epenis behaviour is a man's problem. I don't really care how many posts any of you have posted. Considering the percentage of them where you have posted something memorable like '+1' (riveting dialogue that eh).

Regardless of the conspiracies some of you boys desperately need to believe in, there is only one me here. Some times I wonder why this me is here :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

MS Warg,

I like you stuff, "epenis" is going to be especially inflammatory. I also like Ann Coulter so maybe I'm the weird one.

Keep it up.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Sounds more like "epenis envy". I may be wrong mrswargamer, but I think bairdlanders comment was meant for aaatoysandmore.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Nah, he sent me a PM as if he was suddenly privy to some sort of valuable secret :)

Can someone translate Charlie's post into Canadian English for me?
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

WBTS 2. The original is just a few tweaks short of greatness.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

MS Warg,

I like you stuff, "epenis" is going to be especially inflammatory. I also like Ann Coulter so maybe I'm the weird one.

Keep it up.

Then add me to the weird list, for I also like Ann Coulter.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: parusski

MS Warg,

Keep it up.

How can anyone not like Ann Coulter?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

ORIGINAL: parusski

MS Warg,

Keep it up.

How can anyone not like Ann Coulter?

REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Veering dangerously close to politics. Let's keep OT.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Well if he continues on I vote for a good going over of Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing The Reich!
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I like the idea for a WiTP:AE in space game. Despite all the 4X space games out there, none of them come close to including the tactical, operational, and strategic depth of WiTP (and WiTE and WiTW as well for ground battles). I read all these space opera novels and series, but I can't name a single game that will let you experience anything similar to the battles and campaigns described.

The existing space games are fine simulations, but just not in the same class as a good military turn based simulation where each side inputs there moves and then the turn is resolved. Most of the RTS style space games move too fast for a player to really develop and execute strategic plans as opposed to just reacting to events.

I'm not knocking games like Distant Worlds, but it makes my head spin and I feel like a spectator most of the time. Maybe I just need to pause it every 15 seconds to take stock and actually control things rather than relying on automation.

I just want a good turn based WEGO with WiTP levels of detail and complexity.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I like the idea for a WiTP:AE in space game. Despite all the 4X space games out there, none of them come close to including the tactical, operational, and strategic depth of WiTP (and WiTE and WiTW as well for ground battles). I read all these space opera novels and series, but I can't name a single game that will let you experience anything similar to the battles and campaigns described.

The existing space games are fine simulations, but just not in the same class as a good military turn based simulation where each side inputs there moves and then the turn is resolved. Most of the RTS style space games move too fast for a player to really develop and execute strategic plans as opposed to just reacting to events.

I'm not knocking games like Distant Worlds, but it makes my head spin and I feel like a spectator most of the time. Maybe I just need to pause it every 15 seconds to take stock and actually control things rather than relying on automation.

I just want a good turn based WEGO with WiTP levels of detail and complexity.

You ought to give Aurora 4x a look. It's a beast, and totally free! :) I think you'll find your WiTP detail there, for sure. For example, in order to construct a new ship design, you have to spend time and money RETOOLING the shipyard in preparation for production. That's once you finish designing one. One does not just simply slap a missile launcher to a hard-point on a ship. One must research and design each component of the missile, from the guidance system to the engines. Then you have to make sure the launcher has the proper fire control systems to talk to the missiles. Then you have to make sure to add magazines to hold said missiles, factories to build them, and facilities to resupply ships that carry them. You can design just about any type of ship you can dream up. There's the usual warships of course (completely designed by you), but then you can design the tankers and cargo ships for underway replenishment. Colony ships to carry all the components necessary to get started on a newly explored planet. There's survey ships that specialize in carrying sensor suites for studying planets or gravitational anomalies, all of which have to be built from the ground up. Privately funded freighters carry cargo between your planets.

And then there's the organization of your forces. Battle groups and fleets commanded by officers who work their way up through the ranks. Ground forces have full OOBs, from the company level all the way up to army. Military academies can be built. Awards for heroism can be created. And on and on it goes.

The learning curve can be extremely steep and gameplay vids/wiki/forum reading is an absolute must. The gui can be difficult to get the hang of, but WiTP's gui isn't a walk in the park either [8D]

Sorry for the text block!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Where does one get this? I found a lot of reviews, and U-tubes, but no game.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Where does one get this? I found a lot of reviews, and U-tubes, but no game.

If you follow the link in my post above it will take you to Aurora's forum where you can download the game and it's updates. There's an "Installation" section that I think covers it. Hope that helps! [8D]
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Gonna give it a shot... thanks!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Aurora 4X

Post by rhondabrwn »

OK, got it downloaded and installed successfully :)

Sadly, no downloadable rules manual for it but did find the Wiki and starting to look through that material.

You were right about the complexity! Wow!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Return to “General Discussion”