Second Of May - another Falklands war scenario

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

badger45

Second Of May - another Falklands war scenario

Post by badger45 »

Hi All.

Attached is my Falklands war scenario. Scenario covers possible battle between Argentina and United Kingdom on 2 May 1982. In real life it did not materialise due to weather and then because of attack on cruiser General Belgrano. However, it could have developed in a different way...

TF 79.3 has not yet been detected by Conqueror. Though nobody can say for sure, how long it would take. Weather does not affect the simulation as it did thirty years earlier, so everything is good to go.

OOB is very close to historical. Minor deviations and other notes inside scenario description.

Testing and suggestions welcomed!

Enjoy,
badger45

Attachments
Second Of May.zip
(93.56 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Flankerk

RE: Second Of May - another Falklands war scenario

Post by Flankerk »

Played this through, although all seemed to work fine its pretty tough. I wasn't too sure if the scoring was implemented either?
I managed to sink three Sheffield types for NIL score. Very tough to combat the subs, found I was frankly repeatedly plagued by them and most losses were to these. My SSk didn't get to the zone in time while the aircraft barely made it into range, when they did they were chopped down easily by Sea Harriers. I don't see this as a problem, possibly the SSN's might need toning down but depends what others found?

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
badger45

Post by badger45 »

Thanx for playing it! Your notes are very aprreciated.

1) scoring is not yet implemented, as I was not sure, what players can manage. I had sunk entire British fleet (losing about half aircraft, SSK, Belgrano and two other ships on first complete playthrough), but I am of course in quite different position, knowing the details of scenario.

2) SSK and aircraft being a bit far - I will probably move SSK closer randomly. The aircraft unfortunately were every bit so far and with a tiny air refuelling assets they are quite limited in their attack choices. Massed usage will probably bingo fuel many of them. IRL attacks by aircraft on British field were never made that far and were conducted only after British task force moved closer to islands. Nevertheless there are some viable options in the scenario - like removing the Sheffield screening destroyers to fly straight on CVBG. Harriers are also not invincible, though I admit much depends on other circumstances. Tough as it probably was.

3) SSNs are indeed a trouble. Fortunately enough if you implement normal ASW doctrine, you should have quite limited losses. I mean increasing speed to cca 20 knots, setting sonars to active, zigzag and keeping your helos prepared for a strike. Conqueror in the south will probably not be able to keep with Belgrano TF into shallow water and while Veinticinco is often attacked, British torpedos are not that dangerous to evade. Then it should be losing proposition for SSN. Lack of these ASW measures by Argentinians is BTW assigned by Woodward (UK CINC and former submariner) to be icomprehemsible and leading to the losses.

Thanks for suggestions!

badger45

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Is this ready for release?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”