0 strength air unit remenants

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

Weathersfield

0 strength air unit remenants

Post by Weathersfield »

I have two CVs that have a 0 strength air unit. They are some kind of phantom unit. The picture looks like a B-26 and the stats come up with a bunch of zeros. I can't disband them nor can I withdraw them. When I try to transfer them nothing happens.
I have to admit that I transfered all of the air units from the CVs to Noumea and then sent the CVs back to PH. They came back with the phantom air units. Is there anything I can do about this?
Veer

Post by Veer »

Yes, I've seen this problem too. I have a 1/VF-2 remanent stuck on the Yorktown. No stats, just shows the pic of a B-26. I can transfer it to any other CV, but not to a base.

I once had a similar problem with IJN. This time the phantom unit pic was Claudes. I believe these two pics are simply standard, used when the program can't figure out what aircraft type the remanent squad has.

Anyway, they said they were fixing the squadron remanent problems in the new patch. This is not a big deal, the phantom units don't seem do do any harm.
In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter
Weathersfield

Post by Weathersfield »

I assume by the lack of comments and help that there is no solution to this problem? I did not see any reference to it in the list for patch 2.3 so I guess this bug will continue?

The biggest problem that I see is that aircraft whose CV is damaged so they cant land will not be able to land on these CVs either.
Canoerebel

Remnants Are Affecting My US CVs

Post by Canoerebel »

Gents,

I'm having a serious problem with remnant squadrons taking up room on my CVs. Early in one of my games I transferred the Hornet and Enterprise squadrons to Australia to lend a hand in defense. While the squadrons were gone, a couple of remnant squadrons (no planes, no pilots) having what appears to me to be an A-26 icon showed up on my carriers. I cannot get rid of them now. I have two plaguing Hornet and one Enterprise. The menu does not permit transfer to a land base and every time I try to transfer the ghost squadrons to CVE Long Island, they return the next turn. It also appears that these squadrons are taking up room on the carriers someway or other, becuase I cannot load a full selection of bombers and fighters on either carrier. Also, I have a 36 plane fighter squadron on Enterpise that has changed to 24 planes with the other 12 held in reserve. What's with that? I've never encountered these problems in any other UV games I've played, but it's a real bear in this one. I've spent about 25 turns trying to fix my CV air squadrons but the ghosts are really messing them up.

Canoerebel
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
HawaiiFive-O

Post by HawaiiFive-O »

I too have been plagued by this problem. And it seems to mess with my other fighter groups, devolving them into the 24 Active/12 Reserve format early described.

However, I did find a way to get around this problem, don't know if it will work for you, but here goes.

1) Move the Long Island + the infected CV(s) to Noumea.
2) Load bad 0 remnants onto the Long Island.
3) Send the Long Island back to Pearl.
4) Remnants gone!

Looks like the Long Island is not so worthless after all. :D
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Yeah, I've gotten this too. It was annoying because it ends up taking up a spot that could be used for a squadron. I think the way I got rid of it, was by clearing the CV (it was Lex) of all other squadrons, and then having ONLY rements of the same squadron on her, then recominging them.

And yes, this DID inderectly involve the LI. LI was transporting a TBF squadron that had been separated from Lex, I opted to just tranfer them to ship (Lex) when they were in range. Unfortunately, the useful part of the TBF squadron remained on LI (with most AC going into reserve oddly enough), and the whacky 0 plane TBF squadron with an A20 pic showed up on Lex.

Yes, it is definately annoying.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Canoerebel

5-0s suggestion worked for me

Post by Canoerebel »

Gents,

I tried HawaiiFive-O's suggestion and it worked like a charm (thanks, 5-0, for the help). Note that the carriers have to be in port (not part of a TF) in order for the transfer to the Long Island CVE option to be available. What happens to the player unlucky enough not to have an expendable CVE around? You'd end up with messed up CV squadrons and would be fighting at reduced capacity. That's something I couldn't afford to do since I've gone and gotten a bunch of my CVs sunk.

Canoerebel
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
HawaiiFive-O

Post by HawaiiFive-O »

I'm glad it worked for you too. :D

It's not really a good solution, though. As you pointed out, you don't always have a CV you are planning on sending back to Pearl to try this with.

It was an act of desperation, really. I was actually getting quite a bit of use out of the Long Island, shuttling short range stuff between SWPAC and SOPAC, and sort of regretted sending her back.

But I know those chuckleheads at CINCPAC will be sending her right back to me in 19 days...
Weathersfield

Post by Weathersfield »

Thanks, as soon as L.I. returns I will try this out.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

But I know those chuckleheads at CINCPAC will be sending her right back to me in 19 days...

Thats cause they don't have a use for her either :D

Any other ship might not come back, LI is a sure thing ;)
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

16) Upgrades of aircraft on ships will only happen when a ship (either at anchor or in a TF) is in a base hex that is within air transfer range (for the gaining aircraft) of Noumea, Brisbane or Truk.

24) The bug where partial air units disappear from the Long Island and other carriers has been fixed. Also, partial air units should no longer automatically return to a badly damaged carrier that they could not land on.

We hope that these 2.3 fixes will take care of this problem.

Please post in this thread if you see it happen in a new game using version 2.3 and it would help if you have a save before and after it occours.

Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Return to “Tech Support”