Campaigns on the Danube patch 3.01 is now available!

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Surtur

Campaigns on the Danube patch 3.01 is now available!

Post by Surtur »

Campaigns on the Danube, the classic game by Frank Hunter, has now been patched to version 3.01, bringing a host of improvements to this classic title. Amongst other things, the patch improves the interface, new screen resolutions and the highly requested Hotseat mode.

The patch can be downloaded here.
Agathosdaimon

RE: Campaigns on the Danube patch 3.01 is now available!

Post by Agathosdaimon »

woohoo!
tombo

Post by tombo »

YEA..[:D]

Agath...pls comment to update. If your happy..ill buy it!
cheers
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I bought the game back in 2004/05 and don't have an install file or serial. Any idea how I could try and recover this?

thanks
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

hmm, i dont know about that issue Chris sorry, but you should raise it as a support item with matrix and they will get on to it reasonably quickly

the game is playing as well as ever and the unit images are now correct, which helps alot, and also the stacks are back to their original obliqueness which is good for indicating at an eye's glance where the concentrations of units are - this is also very helpful as both friendly and enemy units can be occupyingf the same hex.
the jump map is better to - as it shows where units are and you can use it to jump to areas

just one little oddity and perhaps it is a glitch or maybe i dont understand the ai behaviour but when i sometimes do things like select a retreat point, when i go to issue the message the stated point is not the one i selected - for example, i selected Ellwangen as a retreat point for Lannes who is shattered in Giengen but when i go to issue the message it says Brunn - which is over hte other side of the map (however the travel time estimate is just 6 hours which wouldnt be right for somewhere so far off as brunn - so maybe its just a glitch with the names?)
in another example, i set Giengen as the objective for Murat, but when i sent off the message, the summary stated their objective as Ulm, going past giengen.

lastly in the same scenario - i selected to detach two infantry units - Vandamme and St Hilaire and send them to maybe help Lannes and Murat, but instead Vandamme kept on going to Donauworth - which may have been due to orders not getting through to him, however also, both Napoleon and Soult went over to the spot where the detached unit was though i never ordered them to go anywhere else but Donauworth - were they going over the detached unit because they disapproved of such? or were they short on messengers so napoleon went to give the message himself? i know i did run out of available messengers in the subsequent turn
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

tombo - i recommend to get the game by all means, its a thoughtful game but not up to the eyeballs with complexity and confusion like say WitE or Ageods Napoleons Campaigns
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

here is the game now with 3.01 and you can see the variety of units - its looking good,

Attachments
ulm3.01.jpg
ulm3.01.jpg (193.53 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Kai

Post by Kai »

Thanks SOOO Much for this update. Really really appreciate it. One of my favorite games. [&o]

One thing I have noticed: Some of the units seem to be mis-represented. St. Suplice and Montbrun are shown as Austrian. Richter and Neustadt are shown as French. (1809)

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i sent a message to Frank Hunter about this now and so of the things i found - thanks Kai!
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Austrians in Ulm cannot seem to cross the Danube using the bridges?  It was working before, but not now.  This is the 1805 Ulm scenario playing as Coalition.

Could there be a menu option to escape back to the main menu, without exiting the game and restarting?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Egad, pnzgdr, best to message frank maybe, i am not sure how frequently he does come and check out the forum, its important that his feedback gets to him
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I take it this does not run on newer operating systems? (8.1 etc)
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

I run it fine on windows 7 but am not sure about win 8.1 - i am thinking that this is compatible now but someone else will need to chime in here
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Hm, interesting. thanks.
tombo

Post by tombo »

...good news. I purchased game and runs Ok with W8.1. Yea.

...not so good is theres no tutorial and its not really easy to jump in. The rule book is ok about basics but after starting a couple games to get feel of it, im still lost to how play. Also, I think game needs more reports to units to figure out status...like Div/corps out of supply. I get message put difficult to find them. Any help here.
Need a good AAR.

also, I noticed in a couple scn as French, counters show Austria units as French. Might still be bug.

any tips welcomed.
cheers.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

thanks, tombo
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i am pleased you got the game - it is worth supporting and apart from just the little bugs with this latest beta update its a great game

you should post up a save file of the game where you notice the bugs come up - that seems the best way to just address these little issues,
what kind of report information are you wishing to see more of - do yo mean like say an overall status report for each unit at the start of a turn or something like that? also at what FOW level are you playing the game
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: tombo

...good news. I purchased game and runs Ok with W8.1. Yea.

...not so good is theres no tutorial and its not really easy to jump in. The rule book is ok about basics but after starting a couple games to get feel of it, im still lost to how play. Also, I think game needs more reports to units to figure out status...like Div/corps out of supply. I get message put difficult to find them. Any help here.
Need a good AAR.

also, I noticed in a couple scn as French, counters show Austria units as French. Might still be bug.

any tips welcomed.
cheers.

I just wrote to Frank with a save and a screen grab showing the same bug. Hope it gets fixed soon!
Attachments
Oct16image.gif
Oct16image.gif (159.04 KiB) Viewed 141 times
tombo

Post by tombo »

bump...any update?
RHamper

Post by RHamper »

This is the third time I've tried to post something to this forum ...

I've got this game (3.01) running on a Toshiba laptop, Core 2 Duo, 2.13 GHz, 4 MB RAM without any modification to the compatability of the start file. I have to say it was a lot easier to get this version running than 2.22!

I have noted the following:

1. The hex outline button is now mapped as the scenario details button.
2. The intelligence reports are always empty.OK NOT A BUG, FOUND FRANK'S EXPLANATION (FULL FOG ONLY)
3. When searching for corps commanders and they are found within a unit stack, I can't make the leader come to the top of the stack. I could do this in 2.x by left mouse click (or right, can't remember). Now to issue orders I have to scroll thru the stack to get to the commander I need to issue orders to.
4.I'm into Oct. 6th of the 1805 Ulm scenario and it is continually running into an error on this day for some reason. I've even reverted to earlier save and it repeated the error. It is an access error. The battle doesn't play out and I'm left hanging on the blue army units screen.

PS I tried to post the error code but something is preventing me from attaching a file, or even writing the error code out. "7th day after my 10th post" error for posting.

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”