Bad news and Good news for 2.06

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Tim James

RE: 2.06beta release candidate

Post by Tim James »

Iron temperature: moderate

Tazak

Post by Tazak »

any chance of a sneak peak at the patch notes (with a disclaimer: the patch notes may change at any time)
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Wouldn't that be cheating? [:D]
I will say counter battery and direct support artillery missions are working again. How's that?
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

more interested (I cant find the post but there was some hinting of improvements) in how units will provide better direct fire support to nearby units
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

That's not even in the What's New doc. Doh. [X(]
I was able to add some AI logic to have units in close proximity to a unit under fire will, if capable will fire at visible enemies in an attempt to suppress or knock out those enemies. Makes Assault type attacks more effective now.

Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Cool, should make engagements more bloody
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I am so looking forward to this patch release :)
pekische

Post by pekische »

I also! ;)
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello RS Team.

I have been playing the game for months now and it is great and I appreciate the efforts you all are making to improve based on player feedback.

Realizing it may be too late for more changes in 2.06, I offer to "gripes" to deal with in the next update:

1) AI behavior when a unit encounters a minefield. It seems way off real life or doctrine or whatever to think that a column of units would stack up on a minefield and invite mass destruction after the first unit in a column has entered one. And that the units so stacked up would just sit there inviting more artillery strikes. And that they would just sit there and take it for 30 minutes or so.

2) I have encountered movement delay not several times associated with helicopter movement. Makes sense to me there are traffic jams on the ground, but no sense to me that there is gridlock in the air.

And as others have suggested and you all have acknowledged I hope there is continued improvement on the ability to reduce minefields and obstacles by engineers instead of just watching a big stack of units sit on such an obstacle for 30 minutes and get creamed.

Walt
Walt
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Walt, #2 is a weird bug and I think it is still on our future fix list. We have tried to fix it once before and there is still some odd hangup in the logic. #1 is a different animal. We will have to expand on this area in the new game engine. There needs to be more detail in what is done when a field is encountered. If in a road march the units should stop and clear or try an alternate route. Still some delay and potential loss for the first unit in. If the move is deliberate or assault, the units need to slow down, but drive through taking losses. The field does not clear, but units do not stop. Something like that should solve most of these items. The downside is it has to wait for the new game engine.

Thanks for your feedback.

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi guys, whats the latest on 2.06, will be out this week?

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet...not this week. Package went to Matrix yesterday and now we will be in the installer/file check shuffle for a number of days. Our goal is to have a happy Tanksgiving. We'll see what happens. [8D]

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Ok.....

Tazak

Post by Tazak »

seems 21st Nov is a likely date for 2.06
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yep. Cat got out of the bag a bit early, but at least you guys can plan accordingly. [:D]

I will post the What's New and some other stuff on our OTS website later today.

cbelva

Post by cbelva »

If you want a taste of the renovated maps done by William that will be released with 2.06, check out the FPRS product page.
Charles Belva
KEYSTONE0795

Art & Hexdraw Templates

Post by KEYSTONE0795 »

Will the spiffy new art work used in the renovated maps be made available to the community for use with Hex Draw?
CapnDarwin

RE: Art & Hexdraw Templates

Post by CapnDarwin »

Art work for maps. No. William uses or can use hexdraw type data (the generated FP9 file) to build a new map, but his system is not hexdraw based for the output. We are discussing what options we can have going forward for 2.1. The maps he generates are in a completely different software that allows him to do layered effects, rapid color and overlay, and additional inputs like names and bridges.

Right now you are getting much better looking maps, but the cost is not being able (at this time) to make them yourself.

I hope that makes sense. [8D]

KEYSTONE0795

Post by KEYSTONE0795 »

Thanks Capn. So I'd imagine the new maps will not be "editable" at all?

Small price to pay for such good looking artwork.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

You can still make your own maps using Hexdraw or whatever system you want to use. The maps that we had before were not editable unless you had Steve's original Hexdraw map files. I have created several desert maps with Hexdraw using art files that I created. And I think they look pretty good (tho not as good as Williams). BTW, I am not ever close to being an artist.
Charles Belva

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”