Paratrooper Question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

zulurider

Paratrooper Question

Post by zulurider »

For some reason I cannot get my Dakotas to transport the remaining 30 men from a paratroop unit. Are these guys AWOL or something????
rockmedic109

RE: Paratrooper Question

Post by rockmedic109 »

Is it a device that is too big to get on an airplane?

Are they in Stategic Mode?

Are they still at Mama Lara's House of Ill Repute?
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

If it is a USMC paratroop unit, the engineers are probably too big to transport.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Haha -- I think the are shit-faced in some dive in Rangoon....Article 15 for sure!

Anyway, from what I can see it's only 30 men, no hardware. They are in combat mode, and 90% of their comrades have already been dropped on target. I keep resetting the planes to transport troop mode for these 30 guys, but next turn they are still there and the transports reverted back to supply mode.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

It's a Chindit unit, I believe.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: zulurider

Haha -- I think the are shit-faced in some dive in Rangoon....Article 15 for sure!

Anyway, from what I can see it's only 30 men, no hardware. They are in combat mode, and 90% of their comrades have already been dropped on target. I keep resetting the planes to transport troop mode for these 30 guys, but next turn they are still there and the transports reverted back to supply mode.
You say "men", but what device? That's what matters to the game engine. It looks up the size of the device to see if ti fits in that model plane (or even if it is too big to be allowed for air transport).

If it is really the very same device as some that have already transported, then obviously there is some other problem.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Where do I see the "device" size, and check to see if it would load on an aircraft?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Where do I see the "device" size, and check to see if it would load on an aircraft?
The device size can be seen in the scenario editor and - I believe - in Tracker. Search the forum or wait for someone else to jump in with the answer of the size cutoff for air lifting.

As far as what the device is, just look at the LCU's display screen. Each line is a separate device type, with the quantity of that device to the right.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Are the 30 men in disabled squads?

Disabled devices will not airlift.

The devices have to recover before they can load.
Hans

zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Don't think they are disabled -- just hanging out in Rangoon for many turns - but I will check, thanks.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Post a screenshot of the offending fragment.....that will probably get you an answer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

For some reason I cannot get my Dakotas to transport the remaining 30 men from a paratroop unit. Are these guys AWOL or something????

I have the same thing happen from the Japanese side. For whatever reason it won't paradrop my inherent engineer devices in a paratroop unit. The devices aren't disabled.

You can find it right from the game. The menu bar at the top of the screen has a couple of database buttons, you can see the device size within. The manual 7.2.4 Troop and supply transport (p270), will explain the mechanics of the operation.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I have the same thing happen from the Japanese side. For whatever reason it won't paradrop my inherent engineer devices in a paratroop unit. The devices aren't disabled.

You can find it right from the game. The menu bar at the top of the screen has a couple of database buttons, you can see the device size within. The manual 7.2.4 Troop and supply transport (p270), will explain the mechanics of the operation.

I have seen the same with regard to aircraft refusing to load the engineer devices.
Hans

zulurider

Post by zulurider »

So is this a bug? I mean, the transports will load HMG and even light artillery. What could the "device" be?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

It is not a bug.

The Chindits are not real paratroop units so why do you expect them to be fully air dropped.[:-]

The probable offending devices are the 3.7" mountain gun and the 6pdrAT.  A screenshot would have confirmed this or you could simply read the relevant sections of the manual and the game screen as pointed out already.

Alfred
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

So is this a bug? I mean, the transports will load HMG and even light artillery. What could the "device" be?
I've already told you how to find out. You previously said it was "30 men", so you are looking at something.

As Alfred suggests, post a screenshot.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Ok I'll post a screenshot.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

The unit is designated as "INFp"
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

It is not a bug.

The Chindits are not real paratroop units so why do you expect them to be fully air dropped.[:-]

The probable offending devices are the 3.7" mountain gun and the 6pdrAT.  A screenshot would have confirmed this or you could simply read the relevant sections of the manual and the game screen as pointed out already.

Alfred

I believe his original post was about transporting not airdropping.
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

The unit is designated as "INFp"
The way the game engine works, the unit must be designated as para-capable for it to para-drop in. That is what the "p" means. In addition, each device must meet both criteria I mentioned earlier; be small enough to fit on the planes being used, and be small enough to be allowed to para-drop regardless of airplane used.

Air transport is different from para-dropping. Air transport implies that the planes land at the destination, so there must be a working airfield there. The unit does not have to be para-drop capable, however the restrictions on a per device basis still apply; the device must fit in the planes being used, and the device must be small enough to be allowed air transport.

Knowing the unit is designated "INFp" is nice, but it is not what I suggested that you look at. Post the screen pic.

Return to “The War Room”