Rcommended Hex and Counter-like games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

markgravitygood

Rcommended Hex and Counter-like games

Post by markgravitygood »

Hi,

Any recommendations for good hex and counter games by matrix/slitherine? I have an affinity for that style of game "pieces" along the lines of Afrika Korps/Blitzkreig/Panzer Leader. Not big into the tank images rolling around on my screens. Much prefer the classic counter we grew up with, even if they have changed and become more sophisticated, which is ok.

Must support single player and have a good AI.

TIA!
Ecclesiastes 3:8
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.
Zovs

RE: Rcommended Hex and Counter-like games

Post by Zovs »

Gary Grigsby - WITE/WITW

You probably will also like Norm Krugers The Operational Art of War (Century of Warfare)
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

Gary Grigsby - WITE/WITW
He means War in the East/West. Expensive, complex, and detailed monster war games.
You probably will also like Norm Krugers The Operational Art of War (Century of Warfare)
The Operational Art of War III. This is good introduction for counter type computer wargaming. Game is very much scalable from 2,5 km to 50 km per hex, from 6 hours to month per turn, and from squad to corps per counter. Tons of scenarios too from simple & easy to more detailed ones. Go for it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Germany at War Barbarossa 1941,

tt.asp?forumid=1239

doesn't cover all all your time periods but a very good counter game, easy to get in to, hard to master, not on the scale of WITE or west for that matter, which are a bit hard core for most casual gamers...

plus for easy of use, good map editors, simple to learn, campaign based so unlike war in the east, doesn't take you all day for one turn, and a week to finish a week of a game play, plus unless you like micro management and like to be the overall commander and do supply and everything else, my suggestion may be a little easier on the first time player, other one mentioned may be a too larger jump to start off with if your not been playing them either before or for a while, but they are all good games tbh, just set at different levels of skill needed and time to master etc

Frontline: Road to Moscow

has basic hex layout, looks quite simplistic, but has lots of hidden depth and enjoyable for casual to medium skills levels...

Close Combat Series and Panzer Corps both are hex based games, for casual to medium levels of difficulty covering a few different time periods of the second world war, and are very easy to learn and can be mastered quite quick, with plenty of scope with addons for longer term play as your level of experience grows....

Piercing Fortress Europa isn't mentioned by me as i have no experience of it, but have heard good stuff about it, not also mentioned flashpoint as apart from Germany, the other one on here is wrong time period as it's too modern but a great game

so tbh there all good, it all depends on what level you feel comfortable with, some have demo so try them first[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

some have demo so try them first[;)]
And most of the rest have something on YouTube. TOAW3 seems to have plenty of that
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: markgravitygood

Hi,

Any recommendations for good hex and counter games by matrix/slitherine? I have an affinity for that style of game "pieces" along the lines of Afrika Korps/Blitzkreig/Panzer Leader. Not big into the tank images rolling around on my screens. Much prefer the classic counter we grew up with, even if they have changed and become more sophisticated, which is ok.

Must support single player and have a good AI.

TIA!
warspite1

Shame about your last requirement. Otherwise Matrix World In Flames would have been the contender.

But there is no AI.....so it's not [:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
markgravitygood

Post by markgravitygood »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look over my choices.

[:)]
Ecclesiastes 3:8
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Advanced tactics has scenarios of WW2 and lots of replayability
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “General Discussion”