Invasion Blocking

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Mogatsu

Invasion Blocking

Post by Mogatsu »

Hi I'm having a issue blocking enemy fleets from invading my colonies.
There was one situation in the past where I was trying to invade a enemy colony but the colony had a defensive base owned by a 3rd party and the game wouldn't allow me to invade the colony while the base was still there (despite it being owned by another empire)

Is this behavior only done with defensive bases? or is it a bug?
I'm asking because I'm having a bit of a issue with the enemy empires cheesing me by invading my colonies that have few troops but fully built starbases in orbit and then being able to immediately seize control of the starbase when the colony falls which seems a bit absurd to me.

Thanks for reading, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Rabble

RE: Invasion Blocking

Post by Rabble »

starbases and starport only give small bonus for defence.
You must have troop facilities and recruited troops to defense a colony. Planetary shields used against bombarding.
Best you can do if you lack of troops on colony - focus with alpha strike troop ships immediatly after AI fleet come to colony.
iam a newbie in 4x
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Mogatsu
...the colony had a defensive base owned by a 3rd party...

Very weird. What version are you playing?

I'm pretty sure that orbital facilities MUST be owned by the planet (colonized) owner. There was an issue with Shadows on release, where you could capture ports over a planet and be raking it in for all the shipments going there. AFAIK, they removed that possibility. If you invade a colony, you immediately get all the orbital facilities. If you board one, it goes pop.

Or that's how I think it's supposed to work.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Mogatsu

Post by Mogatsu »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

ORIGINAL: Mogatsu
...the colony had a defensive base owned by a 3rd party...

Very weird. What version are you playing?

I'm pretty sure that orbital facilities MUST be owned by the planet (colonized) owner. There was an issue with Shadows on release, where you could capture ports over a planet and be raking it in for all the shipments going there. AFAIK, they removed that possibility. If you invade a colony, you immediately get all the orbital facilities. If you board one, it goes pop.

Or that's how I think it's supposed to work.

Thats how it plays for me as well, but in this one particular case a AI colony was invaded by another AI and I was at war with the 1st AI but my ships did nothing when I told them to attack or invade, when I looked at the colony I noticed there was a orbital station that was a different color to the one of the planet I was trying to invade
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Is it possible that the colony is a protectorate of the empire with the space station?
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

This is sounding like a defect.

I would advise that you upload a save game and enter a report of this behaviour in the tech support forum.

1. Orbital installation owned by a 3rd party sounds wrong. It shouldn't be possible.
2. Defence installations, regardless of the owner, shouldn't prevent invasions.

With a save game file, Elliot can sort out what's going on.... hopefully.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Mogatsu

Post by Mogatsu »

Sorry I don't have a save file of that game anymore at least not at the point where it wasn't allowing an invasion.

I can't say with absolute certainty, but in the last game I played I was putting defensive bases built by colonies on each colony and I haven't be invaded on a single colony unlike previously where I had massive space ports that weren't quick enough in destroying a troop transport and I'd lose the colony.

To be honest, if this is a bug it's one I'd be glad not to see fixed.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”