Choosing fighter or bomber for CVP

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Choosing fighter or bomber for CVP

Post by Courtenay »

I have found either an incredibly obvious bug, or I don't understand the rules. Below is the picture of the "Set Air Unit's roles as Fighter or Bomber" form. What I don't understand is why the US player may choose roles for the four CVPs at the top, but may not for the three CVPs displayed in the middle box. All three of those planes were assigned as fighters, with the US player given no choice in the matter.

Is there a reason those three CVPs were assigned as fighters, with no choice, or is this a bug?

Note that the in each case, one of pair of CVPs on a carrier was given the choice, and the other one wasn't. However, I don't see anything in Option 56 that would impose any such limitation.

I will submit a formal bug report, and a save, if we agree that this is a bug. If it is a bug, I am surprised it has not been comment on before.

Attachments
JF43A1MarFtrBomb.jpg
JF43A1MarFtrBomb.jpg (248.26 KiB) Viewed 68 times
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Courtenay

RE: Choosing fighter or bomber for CVP

Post by Courtenay »

OK. Proceeding onward, in a second round of naval combat, all 7 US CVPs were correctly allowed to choose to be fighters or bombers. However, the saved game repeats the problem for the first round of combat. So there is a bug, and I have no idea what triggered it.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

That's a bug. During naval air combat, CVP's may always fly unless they aren't included in the combat. They are all in the same sea box, so that doesn't apply. And since it is the first round there isn't anything which prevents them from doing so.
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The CVPs in the middle box did participate in the combat; they were just forced to be fighters, and not allowed to be bombers.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

The CVPs in the middle box did participate in the combat; they were just forced to be fighters, and not allowed to be bombers.

Remember gentlemen that Steve is working on net play and strange things might reoccur in the solo game, nature of the beast [:(] MWIF.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

Hi courtenay just trying to recreate your problem the best I can.

This screen shot is from the Guadalcanal scenario

The first picture shows I am able to make all the available Japanese carrier planes into bombers, you can see the round gray circles on each plane.

Bo

Attachments
carriers1.jpg
carriers1.jpg (375.03 KiB) Viewed 68 times
bo

Post by bo »

Screen 2 shows all the US carrier planes turned into bombers again the gray circle on each plane, I know you had seven carriers I could only muster up 3 carriers as it is early in the war.

Bo

Attachments
carriers2.jpg
carriers2.jpg (357.77 KiB) Viewed 68 times
bo

Post by bo »

I am showing this screen just to show that I went from assigning both Japanese planes and US planes to all bombers and the next step is the air to sea attack for both sides. I see no problem of any kind the program seems to be correct unless the 7 US carriers has something to do with it. I also tried it with 2 Japanese fighters and 1 US fighter in an earlier depiction not this one and everything went very smooth.

Now maybe as in the past I am not recreating it properly, if not let me know.

Bo

Attachments
carriers3.jpg
carriers3.jpg (479.14 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

It is a strange bug. It only affected my units in the first round of combat. In the second, I was able to assign all 7 CVPs as bombers. You can download my save, and see if it works for you, or not. I have assigned planes as fighters or bombers many times; this was the first time it hadn't worked correctly, and I have no idea why it didn't.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

It is a strange bug. It only affected my units in the first round of combat. In the second, I was able to assign all 7 CVPs as bombers. You can download my save, and see if it works for you, or not. I have assigned planes as fighters or bombers many times; this was the first time it hadn't worked correctly, and I have no idea why it didn't.

Was this a naval interception combat? In the first round of a naval interception combat it is quite possible for only the moving units to be included in the combat, even though there are other naval units from the same side in the same section box.

That would explain this - except for your statement that some of the included/excluded air units were on the same carrier.

I've never seen this problem occur or be reported previously. So a saved game where this can be reproduced would be very nice to have.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Now that I'm looking for it, I'm seeing this bug every time I have a naval air combat where either side has at least 1 carrier with 2 cvp's that have air to sea factors. I probably wouldn't have noticed it (trusting the program to properly sort the units) if I hadn't been watching for it.

Edited to say - not an interception combat. The UK searched and found the German pocket battleships. All British ships are in the same box. This screenshot is from the first (and in this case, only) round of combat.
Attachments
navalairbug.jpg
navalairbug.jpg (277.17 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Shannon V. OKeets

Thank you for reconfirming this. I've added it to my list to investigate.
Steve

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here is a saved game with this bug:
Attachments
CVPFtrBmbBug.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

If it helps..

In a multi round naval combat where the CV's are not included in the first round and show up for the first time in round 2, the planes are able to fly normally. The bug will only occur in the first round of combat as opposed to the first round of combat including the CV's.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is a saved game with this bug:
Thanks.[&o]
Steve

Return to “Tech Support”