Auto Move of Support Units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

dereck

Auto Move of Support Units

Post by dereck »

From reading the forums I'm thinking I understand how to auto move support units but just in case ...

In this scenario:
o all fronts/armies, etc have their support level locked except STAVKA and LENNINGRAD FRONT.
o STAVKA has it's support level set to 5
o All other HQs to 0

In this situation am I correct in thinking that all support units in HQs reporting to STAVKA and all the LENNINGRAD FRONT HQ's (with the exception of engineers) will move into STAVKA?

Thanks.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
BJP III

RE: Auto Move of Support Units

Post by BJP III »

I don't think so. If a subordinate unit is locked, it will not ship SUs upstream (or downstream).

Your result will be that the Leningrad Front SUs will go to Stavka, and everyone else will remain the same
dereck

Post by dereck »

Okay I set ALL headquarters and ALL fronts except the STAVKA HQ to 0 for support units. STAVKA was set to 9.

When I resolved the turn the Front HQs still had tons of support units.

I was under the impression that setting all HQs except STAKVA would have forced all support units into STAVKA.

Was I mistaken or did I do something wrong?
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

SUs only move one level per turn, so it can take 3 turns to fully accumulate at STAVKA: corps to army, army to front and finally front to STAVKA.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Our hypothetical command chain is this:
STAVKA>Leningrad Front>24th Army
(Leningrad Front also has 19th Army and 11th Army)

Setting the SU support level to 5, irrespective of HQs above or below, orders Leningrad Front to accumulate 5 of each and every type of SU in existence for this time period. The SU setting is an order for that specific HQ only, and does not affect the amount of SUs requested or allowed in other HQs in the command chain.

The SU setting is a hard-wired demand for any available SUs that can fill the demand; whether those SUs come from higher HQ or subordinate HQ, Leningrad Front does not care. Note, however, that Leningrad Front can only fill its demand from those HQs (one level higher and one level subordinate) that are made available passively. It cannot take SUs from another HQ that is locked or another HQ that is itself trying to fill an identical SU demand.

Leningrad Front will accept the passive SUs from below (if any are relinquished by subordinate HQs settings). IF, and only if Leningrad Front fills that order (of 5 of each type of SU) THEN Leningrad Front will pass SUs (passively) up to STAVKA or down to the other Army HQs.

So in our example above:
STAVKA>Leningrad Front>24th Army

If we assume STAVKA has infinite SUs but is Locked, Leningrad cannot pull SUs from STAVKA because of the Locked condition.

If 24th Army has excess SUs, this turn they will filter up to Leningrad Front.
Next turn, let's assume Leningrad Front has met its 5 SU requirement somehow, and the excess SUs from 24th Army will be in its list, and because there is no need, they will pass up to STAVKA (assuming sTAVKA is set at the usual '9' SU level, which it should generally be), or if one of the other army HQs under Leningrad Front are requesting that type of SU, it will filter down to them.

Here is where you can run into a problem:
If a bottom-tier HQ is trying to pass HQs up to STAVKA, and Leningrad Front is Locked, no transfers can take place, because the middle tier HQ is locked.

Generally speaking, passive SU transfer works way way better going from low-tier HQs to High Tier HQs. Once your SUs are in a front or STAVKA, it's usually a much more efficient process to pass out to Army HQs by spending SUs (slowly, over time as you build up specific Armies to be well led and well equipped with SUs).

Also note that Pioneer/Sapper SUs still have to be moved manually. They do not filter passively. Ever. Never knew why; always assumed it was a bug.

And for those German players who have not tried it, you can make a ton of rail progress by filtering construction SUs up to OKH and the Army Groups. It can really be an equalizer against partisans to have tons of construction SUs out building rail every darn where.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

For Axis play the passive filters/transfers works fine... GHQ = 9, Army Groups/Armies = 0. Try corps = 1 until SUs evenly flow then pop back SUs to corps to fit the "plan." Takes a turn or 2.

Heliodorous04 is exactly right in re sending construction units up the chain. Leaving 1 bn of diggers w/corps to help entrench (I hope.) Once Axis reaches its usual max advance, think the diggers produce a resilient rail net.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”