Questions about automate and retrofit

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

kotti

Questions about automate and retrofit

Post by kotti »

Hello,

I have some questions about the automate upgrade and automate retrofit button in the design screen.

Lets start with an example: (auto design is turned off)
- a civilian ship has both buttons at automate -> if a new ship component is researched and I manually upgrade the design to (i.e. warp bubble) the civilian ships (i.e. freighters) gets the warp bubble very fast

- military ship (i.e. explorer), both buttons at automate --> if a new ship component is researched and I manually upgrade the design to (i.e. warp bubble) nothing happens with my explorers --> Why? (of cause I can retrofit each one manually by selecting and click on "retrofit") (the ship is automated too)

- civilian bases: I have a very basic mining station (again both buttons on automate) and add a single armor (new component) --> nothing happens with the mining bases --> why?

1) Is it necessary to turn auto design on in the global setting to have an effect of button?

2) What exactly is the difference between both?

3) How does they work for civilian and military ships/bases

Thanks.

Aeson

RE: Questions about automate and retrofit

Post by Aeson »

1) Is it necessary to turn auto design on in the global setting to have an effect of button?
If you want ships to be affected by the automatic upgrade setting, then yes, you must turn on Automate Ship Designs in the empire policies. If that's off, then whether or not your design is set to automatic upgrades it is supposed to be treated as though designs are on manual.
2) What exactly is the difference between both?
You upgrade designs and retrofit ships.
3) How does they work for civilian and military ships/bases
If you're asking if there are differences in how things work, then the only difference that I'm aware of is that civilian ships are not supposed to be able to be set to manual for retrofits.
- military ship (i.e. explorer), both buttons at automate --> if a new ship component is researched and I manually upgrade the design to (i.e. warp bubble) nothing happens with my explorers --> Why? (of cause I can retrofit each one manually by selecting and click on "retrofit") (the ship is automated too)
Your explorers may be busy. Check if they have any missions in the queue; one of them may be a retrofit order. There's also a possibility that you lack money, as you cannot order a ship to retrofit if you don't currently have the money to pay for it.

As far as why the civilian ships tend to get upgrades quickly: the private sector tends to have a lot of money, as they get the ~80% or so of the colony revenue that you aren't claiming as taxes. Also, in the very early game, especially in pre-warp and if you haven't set up mines on planets halfway across the system, your freighters don't have much to do and so are just sitting around next to the space port. When there's an upgrade available, they might as well line up and be early adopters; they've nothing better to do.
kotti

Post by kotti »

Thanks so far.
In my actual game I have many civil mining stations with different designs (build a few, updated design, build a few, update... and so on...) . However there is always only one design present. Auto design in the global setups is on suggest, retrofit and design update in the design screen are on auto.
From what I have seen the is no retrofit off older mining stations in general. I have plenty off money (civic sector too) and all strategic resources at my only big spaceport. (its early in the game, I only have few colonies).

So the questions is why are my mining stations not auto retrofired? All civilian ship get auto retrofired all the times I updated the design. ( can easily be observed from travel speed with better engines).

Or in a more general terms, what are the requirements in settings and game play to auto retrofit all civic ships/bases. If I want design them by myself?

Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: kotti

Thanks so far.
In my actual game I have many civil mining stations with different designs (build a few, updated design, build a few, update... and so on...) . However there is always only one design present. Auto design in the global setups is on suggest, retrofit and design update in the design screen are on auto.
From what I have seen the is no retrofit off older mining stations in general. I have plenty off money (civic sector too) and all strategic resources at my only big spaceport. (its early in the game, I only have few colonies).

So the questions is why are my mining stations not auto retrofired? All civilian ship get auto retrofired all the times I updated the design. ( can easily be observed from travel speed with better engines).

Or in a more general terms, what are the requirements in settings and game play to auto retrofit all civic ships/bases. If I want design them by myself?

Multiple areas to address this :

Ship Design here.

Next, under you Policy about 2/3rd's down there is a list of each ship type with a Check Box.
De-select the designs you want to manually control.

Finally, in the Ship Design Screen you can somewhat select Retrofit options.

Attachments
Option1.jpg
Option1.jpg (115.14 KiB) Viewed 122 times
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”