I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game.

Post by pontiouspilot »

I guess I wasn't thinking...some of the old Avalon Hill were actually in mint condition.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I guess I wasn't thinking...some of the old Avalon Hill were actually in mint condition.

I would have gladly taken them off your hands... even for a price. Oh well, se la guerre.

PS: Speaking of old games. My Risk board game has the old wooden pieces.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Some of those old games go for a mint on Ebay. I picked up a couple of SPI games at a rummage sale in the early 1990s. Both still in shrink wrap. I just looked it up, one was Suez to Golan and the other the Star Force Trilogy. The Star Force Trilogy went for $185 and the other for $56. Not bad for an $18 investment.

My sister's Risk game has the wooden pieces too. She probably got it in the early 60s. She had it from my earliest memories of her game stash.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Some of those old games go for a mint on Ebay. I picked up a couple of SPI games at a rummage sale in the early 1990s. Both still in shrink wrap. I just looked it up, one was Suez to Golan and the other the Star Force Trilogy. The Star Force Trilogy went for $185 and the other for $56. Not bad for an $18 investment.

My sister's Risk game has the wooden pieces too. She probably got it in the early 60s. She had it from my earliest memories of her game stash.

Bill

Your sister got it in the sixties? She's probably really hot. Can you give me her phone number?

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: crsutton

ORIGINAL: leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Even though many Grand Campaigns never finish, both sides usually know who really "won" by the game end- whether somebody quit annoyingly or work got in the way or whatever. Its just whether or not they are willing to admit it...
because people don't usually quit a game they are winning do they?

Obviously, you did not watch the Redskins play the Vikings last week....[:D]

Just ask Don Denkinger [:'(]

He's my personal HERO!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I have three copies of Flattop from the early 80s. They saw some USE!

Still have Iron Bottom Sound, Royal Navy, and Destroyer Captain plus a few of the Advanced Squad Leader games.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Your sister got it in the sixties? She's probably really hot. Can you give me her phone number?

She's spoken for. Though if you are interested in her, she's not going to take much interest in someone who doesn't have a pretty strong scientific background. If you can't keep up with her about the latest stories in the peer reviewed literature over dinner, she's probably not going to be interested. Oh, and you have to at least be at peace with having a lot of horses. Last I heard she had 14 of them.

I seem to be the only person in the world who isn't intimidated by her. My SO describes my sister as the most butch straight woman she's ever met. Not that she looks all that butch (though she's never worn make up in her life), she's very, very yang.

Bill
durnedwolf

Post by durnedwolf »

And from the makers of 'The Lonesome Doves' and 'True Grit' comes a new saga of the west:

Gorn on the Range

Gorning the War Wagon, an armored stage coach used by Wells Fago pulled by seven pairs of big, bad, Clydesdales, Geoff fights off scores of bandits during the day and reads scientific literature at night by the light of his campfire while consuming copious amounts of beans, bacon, and corn bread, washed down with mug after mug of real Colombian Cowboy Coffee.

Movie length is 1 hour 45 minutes. This film is not yet rated. [8D]

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Well since you went there, I can't help wondering...

Do Gorns like Gorgonzola??? [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Well since you went there, I can't help wondering...

Do Gorns like Gorgonzola??? [:D]
Any word from Larry?
Symon

Post by Symon »

She's spoken for. Though if you are interested in her, she's not going to take much interest in someone who doesn't have a pretty strong scientific background. If you can't keep up with her about the latest stories in the peer reviewed literature over dinner, she's probably not going to be interested. Oh, and you have to at least be at peace with having a lot of horses. Last I heard she had 14 of them.

I seem to be the only person in the world who isn't intimidated by her. My SO describes my sister as the most butch straight woman she's ever met. Not that she looks all that butch (though she's never worn make up in her life), she's very, very yang.

Bill
Sounds like my kind of girl. Everybody in Patagonia has a horse or six; that's how we go visiting. Butch? Maybe in el Norte. Can she ride into a stream, lean off her saddle, and grab a salmon with her hands? "Aperitivo, para noche!" Does she have black, curly hair? A braided and beaded strop? Will her horse eat a carrot from her mouth?

We mostly talk about social issues, down here., over an evening. But there's folks that get technical. We ain't stupid. Although we may look closely at what comes out of AgWeb, there have been some illuminating evenings that came out of PhysRevLets.

We really are smart enough. And we don't give a rats about silly Norte political sexual orientation crap., and are offended by it, frankly. Ciao. JWE
[ed] That wasn't meant to be mean, just a comment on what people outside the US think about the nonsense we think is oh, so, important. Anyway, Ciao.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Any word from Larry?

Yes LarryF is happy again, thanks for asking.
We slunk back into the murky depths and started a RA 7.0 PBEM game again with each other. IMHO the threadstarter should have read/followed John3rd's AAR about us before quitting. But we just picked up the pieces and dove right back in.

Many thanks to all of you guys for the lessons (sometimes painfully) learned... I am a much better Allied player now NY59Giants
(Michael) has put me on the path to managing my toys and supplies...

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Bill

I ate 14 horses in one day once.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Bill

I highly recommend checking out Nobleknight.com.

It is a source for out of print board games and has many of the great classics.

I once considered selling a large chunk of my huge board game collection to them, but was dissuaded by the monstrous task of cataloguing everything and assessing their wear states for the sale.
Hans

stretch

Post by stretch »

One thing about nobleknight.. the prices... ugh. For the first time in months/years? (so long I forgot I had a search filter set for it) a copy of Leyte Gulf by Avalanche Press showed up on Ebay, used but unpunched. It sold for $145. Lo and Behold..three days later a "buy it now" for this rare item appeared from nobleknight, also used but unpunched. Asking price ? $395. It's $355 on their web site. The same thing happened with SoPac a couple of days later.

That's quite the markup on the auction price. I know its a free market but I am somewhat disgusted seeing such a rare game plucked at a reasonable price point by a business, and then plopped on sale for more than 2x what he (presumably) paid for it. And these places just sit on them for years waiting for someone to buy them at this really high price point... effectively removing it from the marketplace indefinitely unless someone is willing to pay a super premium.

Then again, an item is worth what someone will pay for it, so if someone comes along and pays $355 for that game, then who am I to argue ? Sigh.

I just really wanted it, but didn't have the cash at the time.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I bought some games from this guy years ago:

http://www.finegames.com/

His catalog search is very primitive, but his stock is huge and the prices are, I think, somewhat more reasonable.

Bill
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

If you are looking to buy and sell games, then I recommend this place.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: stretch

One thing about nobleknight.. the prices... ugh. For the first time in months/years? (so long I forgot I had a search filter set for it) a copy of Leyte Gulf by Avalanche Press showed up on Ebay, used but unpunched. It sold for $145. Lo and Behold..three days later a "buy it now" for this rare item appeared from nobleknight, also used but unpunched. Asking price ? $395. It's $355 on their web site. The same thing happened with SoPac a couple of days later.

That's quite the markup on the auction price. I know its a free market but I am somewhat disgusted seeing such a rare game plucked at a reasonable price point by a business, and then plopped on sale for more than 2x what he (presumably) paid for it. And these places just sit on them for years waiting for someone to buy them at this really high price point... effectively removing it from the marketplace indefinitely unless someone is willing to pay a super premium.

Then again, an item is worth what someone will pay for it, so if someone comes along and pays $355 for that game, then who am I to argue ? Sigh.

I just really wanted it, but didn't have the cash at the time.

Yea, yesterday I looked longingly at The Longest Day selling for about $265 and Raid on St. Nazaire selling for around $135.

I left many of my games with a friend who put them in a storage module where they were ruined by water damage.

Those are two I would like to replace, along with Russian Front which is currently sold out.

Hans

Big B

Post by Big B »

Ahh yes - one of my favorite links to browse
I think I discovered that place maybe 8 years ago? Great nostalgia there, and you're right - it's THE place to find that old board game to buy...(or peruse)
ORIGINAL: crsutton

If you are looking to buy and sell games, then I recommend this place.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The Longest Day selling for about $265

Wow, that's what they're getting these days huh? Still have mine but it hasn't been set up since my son was an infant. Maybe sometime soon. Gee, I wonder what I paid for it back in the day?
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”