Gary's New Graphics Thread

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

Gary's New Graphics Thread

Post by GaryChildress »

LINKS TO GRAPHICS FILES ARE LISTED BELOW

All of my graphics so far have been uploaded into posts in this thread as attachments. Below are links to the individual posts in this thread where you can find each set of files as described below.

Rifle Pack: (See post #2) fb.asp?m=3738164
Bazooka Pack: (See post #15) fb.asp?m=3738270
SMG Pack: (See post #17) fb.asp?m=3738336
Staff Pack: (See post #23) fb.asp?m=3738686
Staff Pack II: *IMPROVED* (See Post #41) fb.asp?m=3739783
Addendum to Staff Pack II: American Officer with Helmet (See post #48) fb.asp?m=3740094
Rifle Pack II: *IMPROVED* (see post #46) fb.asp?m=3740090
Elite Forces Pack: (See post #52) fb.asp?m=3740470
Engineer: (See post #65) fb.asp?m=3742529
Bazooka Pack II: *IMPROVED* (See Post #70) fb.asp?m=3742573
Addendum to Bazooka Pack II: British Anti-Tank gunner with PIAT (See post #75)fb.asp?m=3742610
Cavalry Pack: (See Post #83) fb.asp?m=3743129
Miscellaneous Units Pack: (See Post #87) fb.asp?m=3743676
Horse Pack II: *IMPROVED* (See Post #92) fb.asp?m=3744723
Vehicle Pack: (See Post #107) fb.asp?m=3810175
Ship Pack: (See Post #112) fb.asp?m=3816270

PLEASE NOTE: Please be aware that these graphics are not yet "game ready". You will be required to manually replace your stock graphics images in order to use these graphics at this point. It is of course highly recommended that you back up your original files before you replace them with these. Once I have made a complete set of game replacement graphics I will post a "game ready" attachment in which the graphics can be more simply installed all at one time. Thank you for your patience.
GaryChildress

RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread

Post by GaryChildress »

RIFLE PACK I: Files attached
Attachments
Rifleman-Pack.zip
(241.11 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I like them. They look pretty good for regime specific graphics. I am curious how you made them. They do look as if they are a 3D model of some sort. It is a simple matter to include these specific graphics, but I would ask about plans for other SFT's. It is a pretty daunting task given the shear number of them.

The current ATG style is kind of a generic graphic that is not photo-realistic or based on a 3D model for a specific vehicle. So, I played around with photos and using the "cartoonize" option to give them some sort of character that was also similar to the original ATG style. This was time consuming though as I wound up having to colorize a WWII photo and use a mask to eliminate the background.

I also thought of adding Italians as a people for random games, but I think this is not possible. In the editor, the the number of Peoples is limited in the RuleVars for random games. So, they would have to replace one of the current Peoples. This creates a practical problem for the "vanilla" at2 files since if there is a change made by Vic to the at2 file, you have to reload his at2 file, and it would just overwrite everything that exists in his file. That's why in my versions of Newdawn, the stuff is above his stuff, so it wouldn't be overwritten. For the custom at2 files, this isn't a problem since they are self standing.

At any rate, this is one of the great things about ATG. That you can customize it as you like. I confess that 4Seasons came about because I wanted to make a desert-based scenario with AT (Yom Kippur) and noticed that it was possible to change things with the editor. So, I embarked on a 3 year journey making terrain graphics, with a first attempt that I found wanting, and then spent another year fixing mountains, forests, etc. I found many interesting sources, like the Cartographer's Guild and WILBUR (which erodes terrain).

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks. I made them using Poser 9. It's a 3D modeling program. I used some models I purchased years ago as well as some of my own custom made props and clothing accessories. For backgrounds I made some files with flags. Perhaps these graphics could be used for a WWII scenario maybe (if modding the random game will be too difficult. I'll post an in game image shortly.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

EDIT: Need to redo these, just realized the game likes to color the images itself for some reason. [:o]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Here's a sample pic of one of the bases (German in this case).

Attachments
Rifle-Base-German.jpg
Rifle-Base-German.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

And here's what it would look like in game.

EDIT: Woops, just realized the game taints the color of the background image. I'll need to do the rifles and images together it looks.

Attachments
RifleJapanese.jpg
RifleJapanese.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. So the background thing is going to be a tough nut to crack. I have the rifleman graphics but not sure how to incorporate them into the game with backgrounds. Here is one idea I had.

This is going to be a work in progress and will take some time but I hope to come up with some alternative graphics to the stock ones.

Attachments
Sample1.jpg
Sample1.jpg (268.55 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

And here's the little pic on the console.

Attachments
Sample2.jpg
Sample2.jpg (116.48 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

As I said, it was relatively easy to do, but MIND NUMBINGLY BORING to change all the rifle SFT's (both rifle and light infantry).

I uploaded an .atzip file to the community web site 4Season-Gary-at2. I had to do this because the at2 files are too large to package into a zip file that I could just attach here (they are 640 kb each). I added your rifle images to my Divisions and Regiments v3.0 files for both rifle and light infantry. I also added three Peoples: British, Italian, and Indian. I don't think these Peoples will be used in random games. I chose the US rifle for AngloSaxon Peoples. For all the peoples (except neutral), I set the rifle SFT as its primary graphic.

I had to put your graphics into a directory graphics/Gary-SFT, so it will be duplicated for you. Sorry, it took me awhile to do, and a directory is required to select the graphics.

I may ask to be allowed to use these for a scenario I am trying to build that uses Italian, German, American, British, and Canadian troops.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you discovered that the game tints the graphics by default. This is done by the BasicColMod button. Set this to zero to get no tint. Also, the game uses a similar image for the large counters. I have overruled this using NATO counters all the time. Thus, the other images are still there. But they won't be used. It is an effort to remove them.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Awesome! Thanks Ormand! I've been experimenting a little more with the rifleman graphics. Ideally I want to come up with a standard background and then use that background for a whole new set of images, vehicles included. I have Wings3D which is a 3D modeling program which I use to create new props and models which I then render using Poser 9. I have a few "generic" looking vehicles and planes I made, left over from my days of modding Civilization III which I think I may be able to use for some of the units.

So here's another sample. trying to create a background which looks halfway decent and allows the highlights of the pics to show through. Also I lightened up the game interface a little in some places so a light background won't look too bad.

Attachments
Sample1.jpg
Sample1.jpg (275.16 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

And the sub-formation as it appears in the game. I'll post some comparisons once I get a few different backgrounds set up and then maybe others can let me know what they think is the best background.

Attachments
Sample2.jpg
Sample2.jpg (92.55 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I don't know if I would put in a background. You can, but in the unit window, the terrain picture is shown as well. Which is kind of useful in that there is a variety of backgrounds and the terrain the unit is in is visible. Tough call, but having the background pop is nice. Thus, I would do both if you want.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I just completed a set of Bazookas. Unfortunately I don't have a British Piat so they got a regular bazooka with everyone else. [:o]

Attachments
Sample3.jpg
Sample3.jpg (105.44 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

BAZOOKA PACK I: Files attached
Attachments
BazookaPack.zip
(240.38 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Another pack, this time SMGs.

Attachments
Sample4.jpg
Sample4.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

SMG PACK I: Files attached
Attachments
SMGPack.zip
(250.88 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

Hey Gary, I just want to say those are really nice looking graphics! I like the style you've gone with alot better then the one the went with for ATG.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

Hey Gary, I just want to say those are really nice looking graphics! I like the style you've gone with alot better then the one the went with for ATG.

Many thanks GrumpyMel! I hope to have a complete set of infantry before too long. Also I think I may have the background thing figured out. I've been working on "toning down" some of the brightness in the stock backgrounds and I think they go a little better with the units. I'll try to release a pack of recolored stock backgrounds soon also. Just wish I knew how to package the graphics so that they can be unzipped and installed from the ATG menu. But I guess I'll figure that out eventually. [:)]
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I agree that they look nice. For now, I prefer a transparent background (although I admit that the terrain background does cause some issues with the rifle units - the bayonets are little hard to see).

I have a vested interest in you making a zip file that puts your files in graphics/Gary-SFT since I have already started with them in this location and it would be very uncomfortable to start over. I have to admit that I have found putting paths into zip files a bit complicated. I have used winzip and manually put the subdirectory graphics in, and then just loaded the other directories. Part of the problem is that it will put the full path, which isn't really how ATG wants it. It wants things to start at the ATG directory.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”