AAR Battle of the First Salvo, Eastern Med 1989

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

djoos5

AAR Battle of the First Salvo, Eastern Med 1989

Post by djoos5 »

Just finished the scenario with 1 day, 14 hours to go.

The score was a TRIUMPH 100

With the onset of the mission, I immediately engaged the Syrian OSA's with Tomahawk's from the New Jersey. It took some time, as I would fire one missile at a time and wait for it to define its target before I fired another. I find that firing a salvo en masse causes all the missiles to target one ship. Anyway, while I did my surgical strikes on the Syrian fleet, the Soviets other two fleets moved themselves into positions for long range missile strikes against my carrier task force.

The Shilo and the San Jacinto, both Baseline 3 VLS Tico's, earned their keep. They effectively eliminated both Soviet missile strikes well outside of the threat zone to my carrier. They were assisted by a relatively strong F-14A BarCAP, too, but the Tomcat's can't take too much credit. With the missiles shot down, the Yak Forgers that followed them in were fodder for my AAW patrols.

Meanwhile, as the Soviets made a great effort to destroy my capital ships, I launched a trio of A-6E Intruder groups with different ordinances. The primary one in strength was carrying Harpoon ASM, the second was loaded out with Walleyes, and finally a quartet of bombers. These aircraft performed very well in eliminating the Soviet fleet near Syria. As they were returning, Israeli bombers launched to assist and overflew my two groups. They continued north and west and struck hard against the Soviet northern task force, centered on the Kirov and the Minsk. It was a sacrificial flight, but it had some good effect - not so much in destroying any ships but making them use valuable air defense missiles.

Next came a Badger strike at my fleet from out of the Ukraine - this was hampered by my Turkish allies and only ten missiles made it to strike range. Again, my Ticonderoga's were quite successful and blew them out of the sky.

Another Soviet fleet appeared in the Aegean, but my small task force north of Crete ambushed them at close range and put harpoons into the Moskva. The ships went to flank and it became a battle of run-and-gun, but soon the Soviets were resting on the bottom of the Med.

With three fleets sunk and one damaged by the Israelis, I emptied both of my US task forces of long range missiles at the last Soviet fleet. They had exceptional jamming and a LOT of air defense missiles and the engagement ended up a knife fight with the New Jersey having to close in to gun range. The last three Soviet vessels - a Udaloy, the damaged Kirov, and the Minsk - all were bombarded with the New Jersey's main guns. Each was hit and I watched as they went from 18 knots, to 9, to 2. Dead in the water, there was little they could do but die. I showed no mercy. The Soviets tried to catch the US fleet unawares and alone - well, we didn't suffer that slight! [:D]

Finally, I give a shout out to the Israeli and Turkish air force for some fantastic air-to-air combat over their native soils.

SIDE: US
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
2x A-6E Intruder
1x F-14A Tomcat

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
316x 114mm/55 Mk8 HE(MP) HE
50x 12.7mm/50 MG Burst [10 rnds]
1049x 127mm/54 HECVT
413x 127mm/54 HiCap
125x 127mm/54 WP
14x 20mm/85 Mk15 Phalanx Blk 0 Burst [200 rnds]
10x 406mm/50 Triple AP Salvo [3 rnds]
30x 406mm/50 Triple HiCap Salvo [3 rnds]
8x 76mm/62 Super Rapido HE Burst [2 rnds]
16x AGM-62B Walleye II ER/DL
24x AGM-84C Harpoon IB
5x AIM-54A Phoenix
26x AIM-7M Sparrow III
5x AIM-9M Sidewinder
16x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
2x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
4x Mk182 SRBOC Chaff [Seduction]
21x Mk214 Sea Gnat Chaff [Seduction]
8x Otomat Mk2 Mod I
18x RGM-109B Tomahawk TASM
16x RGM-84A Harpoon IP
24x RGM-84C Harpoon IB
38x RGM-84D Harpoon IC
192x RIM-66H SM-2MR Blk II
45x RIM-66J SM-2MR Blk II
11x RIM-67B SM-2ER Blk I
7x RIM-7M Sea Sparrow
10x Sea Dart Mod 1

SIDE: USSR

LOSSES:
2x BDK Ropucha I [Pr.775]
1x BPK Kashin Mod [Pr.61M]
1x BPK Kresta II [Pr.1134A Berkut A]
1x BPK Udaloy I [Pr.1155]
3x EM Sovremenny I [Pr.956]
8x Ka-25Ts Hormone B
12x MiG-31 Foxhound
1x PKR Moskva [Pr.1123 Kondor]
1x PRTB Amga [Pr.1791]
1x RKR Kirov [Pr.1144 Orlan]
1x RKR Slava [Pr.1164 Atlant]
1x SKR Krivak I [Pr.1135 Burevestnik]
1x SKR Krivak II [Pr.1135M Burevestnik-M]
1x SSV Mirnyy [Pr.393A]
1x TAKR Minsk [Pr.1143 Krechyet]
24x Tu-16K-26PM Badger G Mod
1x VT Dubna [Kerch]
12x Yak-38M Forger A

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
26x 23mm Gsh-6-23 [50 rnds]
2x AA-8 Aphid [R-60T]
29x AA-8 Aphid [R-60TM]
44x AA-9 Amos [R-33, SARH]
163x AK-100 100mm/70 Frag
30x AK-130 130mm/54 Twin Frag Burst [2 rnds]
7x AK-176 76mm/60 Frag Burst [2 rnds]
31x AK-630 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
30x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
4x AK-725 57mm/80 Twin Frag Burst [6 rnds]
14x AK-725 57mm/80 Twin HE Burst [6 rnds]
17x AK-726 76mm/60 Twin Frag Burst [2 rnds]
10x AS-6 Kingfish A Mod 3 [KSR-5M, ASM]
34x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
30x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
37x PK-16 Chaff [TSP-60U]
62x PK-2 Chaff [TSP-47]
10x SA-N-3a Goblet [4K60]
68x SA-N-3b Goblet [4K65]
34x SA-N-4a Gecko [9M33]
78x SA-N-4b Gecko [9M33M3]
160x SA-N-6a Grumble [5R55RM]
103x SA-N-7 Gadfly [9M38]
64x SA-N-9 Grinch [9M330-2 Kinzhal]
32x SS-N-12 Sandbox Mod 1 [P-500 Bazalt]
20x SS-N-19 Shipwreck [P-700 Granit]
16x SS-N-22 Sunburn [P-80 Zubr]

SIDE: Turkey

LOSSES:
4x F-16C Blk 30 Falcon
10x F-4E Phantom II

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
31x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
100x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
46x AIM-9L Sidewinder
11x AIM-9P-4 Sidewinder
26x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
25x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]

SIDE: Isreal

LOSSES:
4x A-4N Skyhawk [Ahit]
3x F-15C Eagle [Baz]
5x F-16C Blk 30 Falcon [Barak]
8x Kfir C.7
2x Mastiff UAV

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
33x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
16x 30mm DEFA 553 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]
16x AGM-62A Walleye I ER/DL
122x AIM-7F Sparrow III
91x AIM-7M Sparrow III
3x AIM-9J Sidewinder
4x AIM-9L Sidewinder
36x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
28x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
63x Python 3

SIDE: Syria

LOSSES:
36x MiG-21bis Fishbed N
24x MiG-23ML Flogger G
12x MiG-29 Fulcrum A
10x RK Osa II [Pr.205ER/U]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
40x 23mm Gsh-23L Burst [40 rnds]
36x AA-10 Alamo A [R-27R, MR SARH]
9x AA-11 Archer [R-73]
28x AA-2c Advanced Atoll [R-13M]
65x AA-7 Apex C [R-24R, SARH]
4x AA-8 Aphid [R-60TM]
40x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
5x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
13x PK-16 Chaff [TSP-60U]
Yokes

RE: AAR Battle of the First Salvo, Eastern Med 1989

Post by Yokes »

djoos5,

It appears that you fired the first shots (since I don't see mass launches of SSMs by the Soviets or Syria). If so, that is a clear violation of your orders (and it makes the scenario extremely easy). (To be fair, it is possible for the Soviets to turn hostile before they are scripted to due to issues with the "unfriendly" posture.)

I recommend playing again, but waiting for the "war has begun" message before engaging anyone.

Yokes
magi

Post by magi »

Yokes.... When I played this scenario… The Turk shot them down…
djoos5

Post by djoos5 »

Hey Yokes,

Yea... I saw the Syrians were dressed in orange and didn't give them the opportunity to either stay out of the fight or start it. I thought I had read the entire briefing, but I must have missed the orders NOT to start the war. [:D]

I will definitely give it another run. Let me ask a question - [SPOILERS FOR ANY READING THIS] - the US fleet is heading east towards Syria and Israel at the onset. Is there an assumed purpose as to why they are heading in that direction? Are we moving in to be support for the Israelis? I guess I will just reread the briefing and pay closer attention.

Either way, the scenario was a blast even though I started World War III. [;)]
batek688

Post by batek688 »

Yokes,

I have seen the barrage of SSMs one time but that was only a result of my "playing stupid." Perhaps advance the time a bit more? Thinking just in terms of the CVBG commander, if I am on a pre-war footing, expecting hostilities "might" break out, I shrug off the SSV Mirnyy but just increasing my speed and sailing out of it's radar range. Voila, even without firing first I do not face SSMs at the War Notice event because i'm no longer in sight. Likewise, I didn't see any airborne Yaks running "routine" patrols ahead of the war notice.

Perhaps add some AEW capability on the Slava group? The Kremlin, anticipating a war footing, putting out orders to maintain contact?
Yokes

Post by Yokes »

ORIGINAL: djoos5

Hey Yokes,

Yea... I saw the Syrians were dressed in orange and didn't give them the opportunity to either stay out of the fight or start it. I thought I had read the entire briefing, but I must have missed the orders NOT to start the war. [:D]

I will definitely give it another run. Let me ask a question - [SPOILERS FOR ANY READING THIS] - the US fleet is heading east towards Syria and Israel at the onset. Is there an assumed purpose as to why they are heading in that direction? Are we moving in to be support for the Israelis? I guess I will just reread the briefing and pay closer attention.

Either way, the scenario was a blast even though I started World War III. [;)]

The scenario is a re-creation of a battle from the book, and in the book <spoiler warning> the Soviets are trying to set up a simultaneous multi-axis attack using multiple surface and air groups. However, they screwed some of it up (the Syrians were out of place and the bombers were late) and the US commander figured out what was going on. To spoil their plans, the commander decides to close on one of the groups (the eastern one) and engage the forces sequentially.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It took a lot of work to get the positioning and timing down just right for that "first salvo". I think it's pretty impressive once things kick off. (Also, it is pretty amazing to sink Osa missile boats using an Iowa's 16-inch guns.)

Yokes
Yokes

Post by Yokes »

ORIGINAL: batek688

Yokes,

I have seen the barrage of SSMs one time but that was only a result of my "playing stupid." Perhaps advance the time a bit more? Thinking just in terms of the CVBG commander, if I am on a pre-war footing, expecting hostilities "might" break out, I shrug off the SSV Mirnyy but just increasing my speed and sailing out of it's radar range. Voila, even without firing first I do not face SSMs at the War Notice event because i'm no longer in sight. Likewise, I didn't see any airborne Yaks running "routine" patrols ahead of the war notice.

Perhaps add some AEW capability on the Slava group? The Kremlin, anticipating a war footing, putting out orders to maintain contact?

I appreciate the feedback. I have had mixed views on the delay prior to initiation of hostilities. Personally, I think it adds tension as you watch their ships closing in. But I can also see it being annoying. However, I don't plan on changing it since it took me a long time to get the positioning and timing just right and I don't want to go through that again.

As for the balance of forces: I tried to make the scenario as true to the book as I could. I know this results in a somewhat unbalanced scenario, but you can always go into the editor and add what forces you need to balance it out.

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Yokes

Return to “After Action Report”