Looking to colonize strange, new world

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Looking to colonize strange, new world

Post by Kuokkanen »

Advice about Civilization: Beyond Earth is: let's wait and see until bugs are patched up. So what other games do we have available in the genre? Top ones I know of are Alpha Centauri and Pandora. Are there others? Which one do you think is best and why?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
zakblood

RE: Looking to colonize strange, new world

Post by zakblood »

played it, bored of it, took it off and now will wait for elite maybe for next game to play
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

played it
What did you play?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Based on "let's play" videos on YouTube, I was on the fence to buy Pandora. But then I read forums, and this thread made me reconsider. To sum up the thread: AI factions can change diplomatic status spontaneously, some (diplomatic) trade is based on % of faction's wealth (spend most of the savings, then offer same % from leftovers), and espionage sucks (can steal % of all the empire's money from small settlement at the border). From other thread: AI can create cities in strange places, like between player's cities where AI's city does not have room to grow and can be serious annoyance for player.

Does Alpha Centauri have such problems? Does it have any serious problems other than helluva menu trees?

MekWars
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Pandora has been rapidly evolving so a lot of things have changed. I know they've reworked espionage for a start. Might be worth having another look.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

My wife and I have been playing a lot of Beyond Earth, both solitaire and MP. Obviously we like it a lot lol. Plus the Fraxis devs posted a note on the civfantics site explaining the upcoming patch of feature/bug fixes.

The tech tree alone is enough to keep me interested [:)]
balto

Post by balto »

I am not sure this fits your request, but you seem to maybe be interested in space based 4X (strange new world, colonize, etc..). I am going to state the best of all time is Distant Worlds, but you probably know that.

But if you are more specific to colonize, go to youtube and check out RIMWORLD it is very different but you are building stuff and creating a habitat on a foreign planet, etc..,

Lastly, ANNO 2070.., that is awesome. It is about 5 years old, but it is awesome.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

I eagerly bought BE on release, but was very disappointed. The game world is lifeless, almost depressing. There's plenty to do, but it feels more like survival than adventure.

I've since become hooked on Endless Legend. It's probably the best-looking strategy game I've ever played. And it offers a unique take on the 4X genre. Somehow it feels both familiar and fresh at the same time. Take a look at some of the reviews here. I think they capture the pros and cons well.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have bought, downloaded, and installed Alpha Centauri from Good Old Games. Totally loving it! One more turn...

MekWars
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I should start by saying I'm a long time player of strategy "war games" but have always stuck with historical or at least actual human situations. So sure world war II, civil war or any war for that matter or even say a game like Civilization or Total war series would be ok. I stayed away from fantasy, science fiction etc.

I broke down this week and purchased Pandora. I can't compare it to the others for you but I can say I'm enjoying the experience so far. A manual that explains things would be nice, but if you are familiar with Civilization type games with a bit of trial and error you can figure it out. In short, it is worth a try.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I broke down this week and purchased Pandora. I can't compare it to the others for you but I can say I'm enjoying the experience so far. A manual that explains things would be nice, but if you are familiar with Civilization type games with a bit of trial and error you can figure it out. In short, it is worth a try.
I've watched YouTube videos, and Pandora seems to have many things in common with Alpha Centauri. I didn't buy it at first becouse complaints about the AI and expansion breaking the game balance. I consider getting it once I've played through Alpha Centauri couple of times. Reading Alpha Centauri manual now (it really is helpful), that sucker has 252 pages, and I'm on page 55 now...

Doesn't Pandora have in-game manual?

MekWars
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Doesn't Pandora have in-game manual?

Not really, it is pretty much a "story book" telling you about the history leading up to it and the factions involved. It does not tell you anything about how to play or the mechanics etc. It does offer some in game tips that can give you some help.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Return to “General Discussion”