GoT "random game"

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Ormand

GoT "random game"

Post by Ormand »

I have created something of a monster that some of you might be interested and can help tune. I admit that it grew a bit out of control, and might be unplayable late in the game.

It is essentially a "random" game with 14 regimes on an unplayable large map. Sort of. Actually, it is a scenario based on the Houses, regions, and map for Game of Thrones. It is called Random-GoT.atzip and is here http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=214&tpage=0&tplayer=0&ttag=23&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0. It includes the two continents of Westeros and Essos and uses the 4Seasons-Divisions-3.0 mod. The regimes are based on the main Houses:
Stark
Tully
Arryn
Lannister
Greyjoy
Tyrell
Martell
Baratheon

In addition, I included regimes for House Targaryen, Freefolk, North Valyria, Free Cities, Dothraki, and the King's Guard. To win, you need to capture all 9 capitols on Westeros (the eight centers of the houses and King's Landing). There is a victory point for each of these and nowhere else. Random leaders are generated for all but North Valyria, the King's Guard, and the Free Cities, using standard ATG pictures for leaders. The names are based on names of the house members and names of Houses that are sworn to the main eight houses (that I found on various wiki's).

The eight principal Houses control their primary regions and have raw and oil as well as a defined People. The Houses have roughly the same number of cities, resources. The King's Guard was added since it was hard to put the King's Landing region under any regime's control. So, you may think of them as being rebellious mercenaries. Originally, I put House Targaryen here, but then I got the brilliant idea of adding Essos, and basing them in Meeren. Needless to say, I don't have Daenerys in the game since I am using only random officers, and I have no female pictures or capability.

Some balancing and interest was put in place. The are the only regime Freefolk to get Guerrilla technology and they do not suffer a 5% readiness loss in snow weather. Calvary only costs 200 for the Dothraki (I hope, I haven't actually checked this in detail, but there is an event to set this every turn for them). House Targaryen starts with a corps of mercenaries and a flight of fighters, dive bombers and level bombers (plus those techs). House Stark gets a small contigent of mercenaries to man fortifications known as "The Wall" on the border with the Freefolk. Being far away from the action, I think I gave them a bit more raw and oil resources as well (they have to be improved). House Greyjoy starts with a few more land units, and fleets of BB, CA, DD, and Cargoships.

The continents have seasons, much like normal. The far north is not in perpetual snow.

One known issue is that the cost of leaders doesn't increment (I haven't tracked this down yet).

Also, it looks like House Stark might be the easiest to play. For some reason, it is very rare for a serious war to be declared on them. House Tully and House Arryn generally get tangled up, and the Freefolk don't declare war. Perhaps this is due to the fortification along The Wall.

The map is HUGE, 152x121 and of the order 40-50 miles/hex. The map is based on the HBO GoT map on the web. The regimes generally only have one capitol and 10 cities. After about 1 year, on my system a turn will take ~ 4 mins to complete.

As for People, the main Houses have a People associated with them. But, the King's Guard, Free Cities, and House Targaryen are Neutral People, so they can produce for anyone.

Here is the scenario description:

This is a large-scale 20th century scenario based on the Houses and kingdoms in Game of Thrones. Essentially, it is a "random" game using the Four-seasons graphics pack.

The king has died, leaving the knindoms on the continent of Westeros in chaos, with each of the seven houses laying claim to the throne. Civil war is breaking out, with each House uniting people in their relms to support their claim to the Iron Throne. Victory can onlyl be achieved by capturing the capitol of each relm and King's Landing. Their are no victory points on the continent of Essos (but there are challengers for the throne).

The rivals for the throne are many, the eight principal houses (and their sworn family allies) in Westeros: Arryn, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Lannister, Martell, Stark, Tully, and Tyrell. Other challengers for the throne are on both Westeros and Essos. On Westeros are the Freefolk of the far north and the King's Guard who occupy the caiptol King's Landing and will not relinquish contro peacefullyl. On the continent of Essos, the challengers are the nine Free Cities, the Dothraki, North Valyria (the remnants of the once powerful Valyrian civilization), and the remnants of House Targaryen who wish to reclaim what they believe is their rightful throne.

The map scale is roughly 40-50 miles/hex and has standard seasons. The start year is random, and beach hexes are placed randomly. All sides, except the King's Guard, the Free Cities, and North Valyria have officers that are generated randomly. Some regimes have special capabilities, and units. In general, the special units of ATG don't come into play (such as rangers and super-heavy tanks). The Freefolk, however, do have Guerilla theory and may construct guerilla units. in addition, the Freefolk do not suffer a readiness loss in winter. House Greyjoy starts with a Navy to help offset their small starting position. House Stark has a contigent of neutral mercenaries representing the Night's Watch along The Wall. The Dothraki start with Calvary units and cost 2/3 as much for other regimes. House Targaryen starts with a corps of mercenaries and a squadron of fighters, dive bombers, and level bombers.

And a reduced picture of the map around King's landing.

Attachments
GoT.jpg
GoT.jpg (115.65 KiB) Viewed 15 times
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”