OT - Thanks John/Symon

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Skyros

OT - Thanks John/Symon

Post by Skyros »

One of the nice extras of this forum is the forumites sharing their particular hobbies and expertise. I just made a batch of meatballs following some advise John/Symon gave me and they have come out awesome. Now I just have the to tweak the sauce a bit and I will be in heaven.

Thanks for the cooking tips and supporting us all in DBB & AE.

Ray Fantone
Mac Linehan

RE: OT - Thanks John/Symon

Post by Mac Linehan »

This is an awesome forum; the contributors represent a remarkable range of talents and skills.

I am not much of a meatball man; but after Skyros's post perhaps I should reconsider...

Mac

LAV-25 2147
obvert

Post by obvert »

I'm just about to launch into my first Oaxacan Mole Negro, so if it turns out well I'll let you know and pass on details. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

This is an awesome forum; the contributors represent a remarkable range of talents and skills.

I am not much of a meatball man; but after Skyros's post perhaps I should reconsider...

Mac

obvert!

Sounds good. I am a fairly competent chicken and steak griller, my wife has a much wider range of cooking skills, but I am always willing to try something new.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I've not tried his recipes , but probably should. I am grateful for his knowledge , insight and assistance through the years. [&o] [&o][&o]
Symon

Post by Symon »

[:D][:D][:D]

A little man walked up and down;
To find an eating place in town;
He looked the menu through and through;
To see what 15 cents could do;
One meat baaall
One meat baaall
He could afford but one meat ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0qPwn4U8Y
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: obvert

I'm just about to launch into my first Oaxacan Mole Negro, so if it turns out well I'll let you know and pass on details. [:)]

My SO's father's family is from Mexico and she makes an outstanding mole negro. I beg her to make it as often as possible.

Her grandmother started a Mexican restaurant when the family became refugees after an uprising in 1931.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My SO's father's family is from Mexico and she makes an outstanding mole negro. I beg her to make it as often as possible.

Her grandmother started a Mexican restaurant when the family became refugees after an uprising in 1931.

Bill

Apparently I could use some help! Mine ended up a bit burnt tasting, but that's not so surprising when about 15 of the 32 ingredients are meant to be 'toasted' or 'blackened' in the pan. Might have resurrected it with the introduction of mild sweet chills and some honey, and I'm going to call it a Mole Pablano this time! [:)]

Hard to get the right chills here in London, but I know one place and for my next try I have to get down there. The recipe I was using calls for 7 different chills!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

One of the nice extras of this forum is the forumites sharing their particular hobbies and expertise. I just made a batch of meatballs following some advise John/Symon gave me and they have come out awesome. Now I just have the to tweak the sauce a bit and I will be in heaven.

Ray Fantone

Skyros, I have a Great Marinara recipe I can Email you. Takes about 18 to 22 hours cooking time, But worth it. My wife tells me if I leave her alone with the sauce, there is no garantee it will still be there when I return. I make it 3 to 4 gallons at a time. My boss, family and friends all like it too....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Symon

Post by Symon »

Apparently I could use some help! Mine ended up a bit burnt tasting, but that's not so surprising when about 15 of the 32 ingredients are meant to be 'toasted' or 'blackened' in the pan. Might have resurrected it with the introduction of mild sweet chills and some honey, and I'm going to call it a Mole Pablano this time! [:)]

Hard to get the right chills here in London, but I know one place and for my next try I have to get down there. The recipe I was using calls for 7 different chills!
Dude !! You must be a food masochist. I've never commanded the patience to do a negro oaxaqueno. My hat is off to you.

Best I ever do is mole poblano (sorta rojo oaxaqueno). Have lots of dried chilles in the cupboard (Pasillas, Anchos, Guajhillos, Chipotles, and Anji Pancas); could never find Chilhuacles. Nice to hear that London grocery has these lovely bags of deliciousness.

Roasting your seeds or chilles is kind of an art form. Easy to fry them and then it's into the bin. But here's a bit of help. When the recipe says high/medium heat, use low medium. A small amount of heat that transforms the sugars into aromatics is all you need. I have a mobile lectern that I use for serious cooking. Set it up, right next the oven, and open a good book. Use a big pan and roast on med/low; come the next page, reach over and turn it.

Once you smell the aroma, it's done. Seriously ! It's done ! Get it off the fire immediately !! Otherwise you're just cooking toast. Put a page mark in your book and dump your roastings on a paper towel. Let dry/drain/relax/crisp. That's what you chop, grind, puree, and put into reipes.

Sorry Obvert, I'm just a food weenie. I have a good mole poblano recipe that does require some serious chilles. If you wish, send me a pm and I can talk to you some more about this.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Ray Fantone

Now we just need the cooking tips incorporated into AE (since pretty much everything else is in there). [:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Skyros, I have a Great Marinara recipe I can Email you. Takes about 18 to 22 hours cooking time, But worth it. My wife tells me if I leave her alone with the sauce, there is no garantee it will still be there when I return. I make it 3 to 4 gallons at a time. My boss, family and friends all like it too....GP

I make a great marinara too. I cook it when I'm up for about 3 days. The flavors really mature with cooking. I use the largest pot and freeze it afterwards. We have a gas stove with a "super low" setting which is great for slow cooking without burning.

Bill
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It sounds like you're using a complex recipe. My SO will look for her recipe, that one only has about 7 ingredients. She usually takes a short cut these days, there is a pre-made mole sauce available in the stores here which is about 85% of what you need and she uses that as a base. Even her grandmother who was uber picky used it when she discovered it.

My SO did make it once when we had someone over with a garlic allergy. She didn't think there was any garlic in the base she uses, but just to make sure she did it from scratch. We all agreed it did taste the same as the stuff she makes using the base. My SO's sense of taste is so good she can tell the difference between colors of M&Ms (similar to Smarties) while blind folded. Mine is pretty good too.

I'll let you know when she finds it.

Bill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Dude !! You must be a food masochist. I've never commanded the patience to do a negro oaxaqueno. My hat is off to you.

Best I ever do is mole poblano (sorta rojo oaxaqueno). Have lots of dried chilles in the cupboard (Pasillas, Anchos, Guajhillos, Chipotles, and Anji Pancas); could never find Chilhuacles. Nice to hear that London grocery has these lovely bags of deliciousness.

Roasting your seeds or chilles is kind of an art form. Easy to fry them and then it's into the bin. But here's a bit of help. When the recipe says high/medium heat, use low medium. A small amount of heat that transforms the sugars into aromatics is all you need. I have a mobile lectern that I use for serious cooking. Set it up, right next the oven, and open a good book. Use a big pan and roast on med/low; come the next page, reach over and turn it.

Once you smell the aroma, it's done. Seriously ! It's done ! Get it off the fire immediately !! Otherwise you're just cooking toast. Put a page mark in your book and dump your roastings on a paper towel. Let dry/drain/relax/crisp. That's what you chop, grind, puree, and put into reipes.

Sorry Obvert, I'm just a food weenie. I have a good mole poblano recipe that does require some serious chilles. If you wish, send me a pm and I can talk to you some more about this.

Ciao. JWE

This was my downfall. I definitely went too far there. That said, the resurrected version turned out well-received poured over some shedded roast chicken enchiladas. I'll PM you for some info on the Pablano!
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It sounds like you're using a complex recipe. My SO will look for her recipe, that one only has about 7 ingredients. She usually takes a short cut these days, there is a pre-made mole sauce available in the stores here which is about 85% of what you need and she uses that as a base. Even her grandmother who was uber picky used it when she discovered it.

My SO did make it once when we had someone over with a garlic allergy. She didn't think there was any garlic in the base she uses, but just to make sure she did it from scratch. We all agreed it did taste the same as the stuff she makes using the base. My SO's sense of taste is so good she can tell the difference between colors of M&Ms (similar to Smarties) while blind folded. Mine is pretty good too.

I'll let you know when she finds it.

Bill

If you do come across it definitely pass on what she uses! Thanks Bill.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Where was that meatball recipe? I must have it.

Symon

Post by Symon »

This was my downfall. I definitely went too far there. That said, the resurrected version turned out well-received poured over some shedded roast chicken enchiladas. I'll PM you for some info on the Pablano!
So, Obvert asked, and it was a bit hefty, so thought I would just post it. In many ways I like Bill’s SO’s thing about a commercial starter. I like Mole Poblano, by Hernan LLC best, but others work as well. Just think of it as like a salt-rising bread starter.

Okey dokey then. For a quart of utter deliciousness:

2 dried pasillas, 2 dried anchos (poblanos), 1+ dried guajillo, 1+ dried morita (chipotle). Open ‘em up, pull out the seeds (save them), and make ‘em into nice flat things, good for toasting. Coming back to this.

Toast the seeds along with 2 tbs sesame seeds. You can also add 1 tsp of peppercorns and ½ tsp cloves. Seriously, 2 min, no more, mostly less, on low. If you can smell it, it’s getting overdone. Watch the sesame seeds. Soon as they begin to change color, that’s it. Better to be underdone than burnt.

Throw into a coffee grinder along with 1 tsp dried thyme and a 1 ½ inch cinnamon stick (broken up). Turn on and grind all into a fine powder. This is your Mexican Chile Powder. Obviously, heat comes from what you use. One can use an arbol, serrano, or (God forbid) habanero, in judicious mix. But Mole is mild, so …

Now, roast them chilies, maybe 30 seconds per side. Put in a bowl and add boiling water, just to cover. Let steep for an hour. Then, in batches, put some chilies, some soaking liquid and some chicken stock into a blender and run it till you get a sludge.

Meanwhile, cook an onion (sweet) and some garlic and tomatoes with maybe a cup of chicken broth. Add in your special chili powder. Gonna have to run this through the blender as well, so go to.

However you want, but I use a cast iron dutch oven, throw in the chili puree, cook (on low/med) till it’s maybe the consistency of tomato paste, then stir in the spice mixture. Drop to Low, add 2 cups stock and ½ cup shredded bakers chocolate. Cook maybe 1 hour.

You will see there’s no sugar in this recipe. If you like it, it’s added at the end. I use Morena Brand, moderately refined sugar. It’s on the Mexican isle of your local supermarket. It’s half the price of that Dixie Crystals nonsense and tastes, oh so much better.

Golly, hope you all like it. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

But where's the meatball recipe? I make Swedish meatballs, but usually meat sauce for spaghetti.

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

My recipe is a simple one. I use roughly 4 to 5 lbs of ground beef to 1 lb pork. Mix ritz crackers ground up with the meat. I also chop up a sweet onion and mix it in and add two eggs. The meatballs are formed using an ice cream scoop so they are roughly 1 inch in diameter. I use the scoop and my left palm to form the meatball which keeps my right hand clean to touch other surfaces, pots and pans. This keeps them a consistent size for cooking. Now here is where Symon was able to step my recipe up a notch. He recommended boiling the meatballs first in wine/water mix or plain water. Wine works the best. Then fry or bake as desired. This made them cook consistently, kept them moist and they were full of flavor.

Thanks Symon for your pointers and I look forward to trying the Mole you listed above.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Thanks Symon for your pointers and I look forward to trying the Mole you listed above.
Had a teensy epiphany this morning and thought I would pass it on. was at Mosely’s Meats looking for some ‘thick’ pork chops. The butcher was kinda ‘eeeee ya know ya gotta cook these through?’ ‘Yep’. ‘And they are gonna dry out.’ ‘Nope, not if I brine them’. … pause … ‘Brine them??’ ‘Oh, heck yeah.’

2 tbs of Kosher or Mediterranean salt (hell, any kinda salt) and 2-3 cups cold water in a bowl. Maybe crush in a couple garlic cloves. Stir, dissolve, and throw in the chops. Let sit for 2 hrs. They won’t get salty, except on the exterior. That means don’t salt them when cooking, but some cracked pepper and rosemary is always good.

Drain and throw the chops in the pan, or on the grill. Cook as normal, but I ab-sow-loot-lee gay-ron-tee, they will come up ‘done’, but plump, juicy, flavorful, and the best pork chops you ever had. It’s a chemistry thing between the salt and the exterior proteins; it’s a bit of a moisture barrier that keeps the good stuff inside.

Try it. You’ll like it. Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”