Moderator: MOD_Command

sprsc

Falkland 78

Post by sprsc »

Falkland 78
sprsc

RE: Falkland 78

Post by sprsc »

Sorry for lack of description. I'm having problems adding my description to the thread
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Any comments welcome. A Royal Navy with HMS Ark Royal still in service. Royal Navy objective to get the troop ship Canberra to San Carlos water without losing Ark Royal.
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

-Clear the message logs. They were cluttered in my playthrough.
-This entails going to every mission, but turning "Scrub mission if side is human" on for all of them means the player doesn't have to manually turn all of them off if they want to do something different.
-Gameplay wise, the fleets seemed to start too close to each other given the time span of the scenario.
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this[:)]

I'm also finding it tricky to get events to trigger point scoring correctly plus the messages displayed when scenario is complete is rather poor. I'm sure there must be a better way.

I have uploaded a revision which incorporates your suggestions. I have set scrub missions when human although it doesn't seem to work properly.
Attachments
Falklands1978V10.zip
(137.57 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

Great scenario, but EXPAND!
In that time the RN had 3 carriers. HMS Ark Royal, HMS Hermes and HMS Bulwark. Maybe have one under refit but I would use one. Also if you set it out exactly the same as the 1982 scenario but with added carriers I feel it would be improved.
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Hi guys,
correct as for three Carriers Ark Royal was still configured as a Strike Carrier, Hermes and Bulwark were re-roled as ASW and Amphibious Carriers but didnt have Cats and Traps
ORIGINAL: tommo8993

Great scenario, but EXPAND!
In that time the RN had 3 carriers. HMS Ark Royal, HMS Hermes and HMS Bulwark. Maybe have one under refit but I would use one. Also if you set it out exactly the same as the 1982 scenario but with added carriers I feel it would be improved.
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

I keep getting: when I try to post anything significant - oh well
You are not allowed to post links for 7 days from the date of your tenth post.

go back? : : close window?
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Some minor tweaks following feedback. Argentinian ships more aggressive in UI mode (I think!)
Attachments
Falklands1978V12.zip
(137.64 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

Fair enough on the carriers. A few ship suggestions:

HMS Bristol

ARA Nueve de Julio (C-5) (Decommissioned 1979)

I think these would spic it up. Also maybe the Argentines could fly pucaras out of port Stanley. All in this is a great scenario, I love the old 1970's RN scenarios.
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Good Ideas. Latest attached with some Pucaras at Stanley, Bristol and C-5 added.
Attachments
Falklands1978V13.zip
(149.62 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

I have added pictures for the Royal Navy ships and aircraft. See attached.

Copy them (after unzipping) to
C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\DB\Images\CWDB. or to the location of your game installation.

Relevant photos will then appear in the database. Note copyright.
Attachments
GB1.zip
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Latest version of the scenario following further feedback and testing:

See later posts

Attachments
Falklands1978V14.zip
(147.3 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
ojms

Post by ojms »

SA-2 and I-Hawk at the base on the Argentina mainland seems a bit unrealistic? and the same with all the different mixture of AA guns? If you have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ ... r_defences

this is the defences used in reality.

Cheers
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Good point and thanks for your comment. I will change that, the SAM/AA is based on the default for the airfield. I plan to do some more work on the Argentinian side.
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Finally - for a while:

Latest scenario attached with corrected names/locations of Argentinian forces (next message). Inappropriate AA units removed.

Plus Argentina forces pictures attached for the use of.

C:\Matrix Games\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\DB\Images\CWDB. or to the location of your game installation.

Attachments
Argentina1.zip
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Latest scenario...

SEE LATER POST
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Falklands 78 Description:
In May 1978 the UK government revealed to the British parliament that the island of Southern Thule (part of the Sandwich Islands) had been occupied by Argentina in late 1976 by so called "technicians". Soon afterwards, Argentinian warships fired on British ships and Argentina broke a communications agreement with the United Kingdom. This caused outrage in the United Kingdom leading to the collapse of the government due to its initial weak response to the crisis.

In June 1978, Argentina invaded the Islas Malvinas (Falkland Islands) taking advantage of the chaos in London. On June 6th the small marine detachment in Port Stanley was quickly overwhelmed and the Governor surrendered to the Argentinian commander.

What happened next took Argentina by surprise. A new British Government was quickly elected with a clear remit to counter Argentinian aggression. In September, the United Kingdom dispatched a Task Force to re-occupy the islands by force if necessary.

The United Kingdom was alone with an objective 8000 miles from home ports. The United States remained neutral and indeed to a degree hostile to British interests.

Thankfully for the Royal Navy, the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal had received a refit and was still in service. Fortunately for Argentina, she had taken early delivery of exocet sea skimming missile equipped aircraft (Super Etendards) and had recently increased the strength of its air force.

Objective for the United Kingdom is for Royal Navy Task Force Z to reach San Carlos water with the cruise liner (troop ship) Canberra intact and without losing HMS Ark Royal (carrier).

Objective for Argentina is to prevent the above.

SPRSC November 2014
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Complete images - Aircraft for scenario

Attachments
Aircraft.zip
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Complete images - Ships for scenario plus some additional ones.

Attachments
Ship.zip
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”