Once more onto the breach, my friends... Fite 2 SolInvictus202 vs Ammann

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

MAurelius

Once more onto the breach, my friends... Fite 2 SolInvictus202 vs Ammann

Post by MAurelius »

[center]Image[/center]

Dear armchair generals,

It's been a long time since I have written an AAR on this forum – and back then I was writing about my campaigns in WITP AE....
TOAW has always had my interest – there is no doubt about that, although I have never been fascinated by anything but the largest and most complex scenarios – probably because I simply love WITP AE – despite its many flaws and short comings....

Thus my opponent Ammann and myself (I am usually known as SolInvictus202 around the internet – I had that name here on this forum as well – but I somehow lost the password to this account many years back – I therefore had to switch to my backup Roman idol :) ) have started a Fite campaign a few months ago...

We reached a grand total of 23 turns until the Wehrmacht (played by Ammann) got bogged down in trench warfare all over the map. We still don't quite know whether it was the slow advance by the Germans that gave me enough time to form a continuous MBL/HKL or whether it was the employed Opart3Xb – we shall never know... :)

Well – after we had decided to start over, I suggested that we first tried to look at Fite 2 – an even larger and even more complex scenario than the “normal” Fite...
Thanks to Ammann – who requisitioned the scenario from its excellent designers – we now find ourselves again on the eve of battle....

and like a thousand other commanders, on a thousand other battlefields.... I wait for the dawn!

I know this AAR my be a little different than the “usual” matrix AARs – but having written quite a number of AARs in my time I have developed my own style and hope that people will like it on this forum just as well :) - I usually use a lot of pictures to support my text - consistent with the saying: a picture say a thousand words...
I usually try to stay objective and on topic... if I fail to do so occasionally – oh well :)

Reports will probably stay rather “dry” as I am used to a “to the point” style of writing – having served in the military for quite a while... a fact that will probably also influence my play style a lot....

I am currently working on a list of OOBs that concentrate on the different Russian Fronts/Army groups – using the in-game colours to give the player some help when it comes to organizing the huge amount of forces...
I know there is something like that already included in the graphics folder – but I for one am used to seeing military symbols used for such a thing – and therefore will probably post these lists as part of the AAR as I get around to actually finishing them – hoping that it will help others too...
I for one need an idea where my forces are and where they need to go – and since there is a new “corps” structure in this game – which are only connected to the army by “colour” I thought it might be useful....

As a conclusion: Comments, suggestions, criticism are always welcome and appreciated – I do hope that I will be able to entertain you with this upcoming AAR....

it will be a “joint” AAR – so it will be some time until it actually kicks off – simply due to the fact that my opponent “Ammann” is currently working on turn 1 for the German side (The simple reason for him picking the Germans again is that he has only played this side so far – just as I have only played the Russians – however believe me when I tell you – I am getting more and more interested in playing the Wehrmacht every day [;)])

The way this is going to work is that we will both add each other's post – but a word of warning: my friend Ammann is no expert when it comes to his English – just like me ;) - so please forgive if it isn't always pristine Oxford dialect....

Of course this means that anything like “plans” will have to wait until they have actually be put into action – but this goes along well with my saying “No enemy shall survive contact with THE PLAN”

But now enough of my ramblings

[center]

ONCE MORE ONTO THE BREACH, MY FRIENDS....
Cry havoc and let lose the dogs of war.....
[/center]

formerly known as SoliInvictus202
MAurelius

Northern Front OOB

Post by MAurelius »

As I promised here a preview to the OOBs I was talking about - I have yet to check its validity, considering that there are some differences between the OOBs I use and the ones in-game - as already described by the designers - due to playability!

Since there are soooo many units it will probably take quite a while to compile all the units into such pictures - but I will post them as I get around to working on these....

we start off with the "Northern Front" - of course because this is the most likely front not to lose any units during the first turn, which I currently await from my opponent [:)]

[center]Image[/center]
MAurelius

Overview of the entire front line

Post by MAurelius »

[center]Image[/center]

[center]
Overview of the armies deployed at the front line:
[/center]
(only approximate locations – but it gives a general idea, I believe...)

[center]Image[/center]

Cfant

RE: Overview of the entire front line

Post by Cfant »

Oh well, Sol, how could I overlook your AAR? Shame on me! Of course I will follow this struggle, as I was badly beaten by your Soviets in our FitE-attempt. After 20 turns my Wehrmacht was in the shape of Real-Life-44. AFTER Bagration. [&o] I hope Amman can give you a harder struggle for your money [:)]
A very good map. [:)] What are the blue counters? Do they belong to Northern Front HQ? I also wonder, if 8. Army and 11. Army don't belong to Northern Front? Or is there an own "Baltic Front"? I don't wish you luck, Comrade, as I think Amman will have a hard time in this fight [;)] So I just wish you much fun!

By the way: Is the scenario-description available anywhere?
MAurelius

Post by MAurelius »

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

Oh well, Sol, how could I overlook your AAR? Shame on me! Of course I will follow this struggle, as I was badly beaten by your Soviets in our FitE-attempt. After 20 turns my Wehrmacht was in the shape of Real-Life-44. AFTER Bagration. [&o] I hope Amman can give you a harder struggle for your money [:)]
A very good map. [:)] What are the blue counters? Do they belong to Northern Front HQ? I also wonder, if 8. Army and 11. Army don't belong to Northern Front? Or is there an own "Baltic Front"? I don't wish you luck, Comrade, as I think Amman will have a hard time in this fight [;)] So I just wish you much fun!

By the way: Is the scenario-description available anywhere?

Ahhh - the mighty Cfantus [:D]

I do agree and hope that this will be an epic struggle... the stage is set - let's hope the protagonists don't fail in their duty [8D]

to your questions:

1) the blue counters are the 23rd Army - which is part of the Northern Front (it holds the line north of Leningrad against the Finns) - the reason it is blue is that it's the colour used in the scenario Fite 2

the main plan for these lists is to help a Russian player organise his forces and sort of connect the colours with his units/armies and thus know where to redeploy/reinforce or position them in the first place!

2)8th and 11th Army are part of the North Western Front - which used to be the Baltic Special Military district ...

overall one should mention that there are 4 armies per front in this scenario - due to colour restrictions imposed by the game - so Western Front is somewhat smaller than it used to be.... etc
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Good day values TOAWler

My opponent has already done the beginning.
I am pleased to be able to play tjis great scenario and test.
Since my English is not very good I let my texts on the internet translate and hope you can read it halfway and all understand what I mean at all.

The first turn is already in the works and when the time comes you will also get to see footage necessary.
ogar

Post by ogar »

Amman,

Welcome ! This looks to be an exciting AAR. And with Amman playing defense as the Soviets, this will be very interesting. Don't worry too much about the English text. The excellent screen shots and graphics that you put in your other AARs (SI) tell the story themselves.

Sol, er, Marcus,
Nice to see you. Looks to be an exciting thread, although I can think of easier opponents than Amman to deal with.
MAurelius

Post by MAurelius »

ORIGINAL: ogar

Amman,

Welcome ! This looks to be an exciting AAR. And with Amman playing defense as the Soviets, this will be very interesting. Don't worry too much about the English text. The excellent screen shots and graphics that you put in your other AARs (SI) tell the story themselves.

Sol, er, Marcus,
Nice to see you. Looks to be an exciting thread, although I can think of easier opponents than Amman to deal with.

actually Ammann will play the Germans and I will be tasked with the glorious defense of the motherland [8D]

I do hope that it will be a good match - most importantly of all - a long one [;)]
bluesrocks

Post by bluesrocks »

Very nice! I am awaiting the first combat rounds eagerly! All the best for both sides.

also known as Arminius ;)
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

So dear readers,it is seriously....
The round is played by no means finished,but I have now completed all preparations for the first round of combat,and you can sometimes purely make a few pictures.
We would also like that I will need for the round at the end in about twice as long as for Fite 1.

At the beginning you get a first option without partisans to play,but MAurelius and our humble self have agreed not to do these bloodsuckers finally belonge.

The images I have to add something later because unfortunately I can insert just after the left post 10 [:(]
Attachments
Titelbild.jpg
Titelbild.jpg (218.59 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

So dear readers, the first turn is completed, if the machining at Stavka, so it is time to begin to evaluate the round.

Come we first recorded the losses both air forces.
If you repeatedly click the button Airbriefing you get mostly 3 different numbers.
Agree the 66's losses, in the inventory counted, but the enemy the numbers look like this ....
6374 or 5078 or 3808 Soviets airplaines
if we did not err us Plankalkül/Telumar the times explains the mean number (here 5078) to take and divide by 2, that are then so much the loss of the Russians, so about 2539 machines ...
you may correct us if we have misrepresented the now.
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

The new Turn is there, now it is called first to see 17523 movements.
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Please, does not surprise you, but I will write my first texts individually and if then it goes also insert my pictures, afterwards I will write all following(resulting) summarised.
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Here we see the majority of the army group the north to recognise(see) always in the counters black on grey.
The Russian border troops are surrounded and the armed forces are ready to the attack, with the enemy's troops it concerns around the 10Th and 11Th infantry corps the 8Th Russian army.
While our infantrymen still with these enemy's troops deal own motorised associations are already a little other(farther) and pursue armed clarification.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Here the army groups the north and middle separate (white on grey).
It is first everywhere same(identical)... encircled enemy's troops.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Enclosed a close-up of the fight space of Bialystok to recognise(see) how is nicely our armoured troops have already covered(referred) in the back of the enemy's position(standpoint)
and with it(thus) it had to do possibly his(its) to the enemy the escape(getaway) to refuse provided that his(its) troops are not shocked.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

In the fight for the fortress Brest the last preparations are made at the moment, held we this bulwark by the 28Th corps the 4Th Soviet army.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Troops of the army group the south penetrate(insist) one into the gigantic empire......., nevertheless, are disturbed everywhere by border troops now it is a matter of switching off.

Now this is everything still to round one, round 2 is currently in treatment(adaptation).
Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Turn 2

We are to broadcast Riga very close and it would happen who knows what not to reach this next round.

Last round was in Riga incidentally, a heavy artillery regiment stationed which has, however, withdrawn.
Our scouts it was under eat but managed to make it so we could find our losschicken not quite as far-reaching bombers and fighter planes.
For the actual beginning of the attack, the regiment possessed about 23-25 big guns ....
.... in this picture the unit after the second attack ..... good conclusion to the entire unit could be destroyed.

.... The only destroys times as an example .... in the whole round were at least 8 artillery regiments, of course, not all of our bombers .....

Since in round 2 nothing happens too earth-shattering, we show below the boiler Bialystok.
After we have completed the movements of our associations in this section, the store is described as tight.

Here again a little further out.

At the end of the round, the smaller of the two boiler is already well cleaned, with the evacuation of the entire battle space expects the OKH in round 4, but the
Thing will be completed next round already to 80% so that a large part of the organizations involved the advance will be able to continue.

To conclude with the evaluation of the Air Force.
Despite this, we were able to destroy a lot of enemy airmen Counter again the launch numbers seem to us rather low.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Turn 3

The image of what they see gentlemen is the broadcast .....
but to start of the round succeeded the reconnaissance battalion of the skull Division a small Hussarenstück.
We have achieved the largest city of the Baltic states.
Where the unit is now had a Russian artillery regiment want to obtain its position, but even as the gun crews tried
convulsively set up their guns to ground attack they were already overrun and everything was over so quickly that they could understand it not at all what ever was going on.
Subsequently, the commander of the reconnaissance agreed to air liaison officer who immediately ansetzte out on some of the available Ju-87 on these fleeing unit and this could also be destroyed.

After a certain person from TOPPING about the situation in battle space had made an image associated this to the two reconnaissance units of the armed forces who had surrounded the Russian armored regiment with
to be detached by standing near infantry advance over Riga addition, unfortunately sent the commander of this fast combat group both units at the same distance to the front, he had a
the Wehrmacht had recognized these units along the other rail line still can take one or two kilometers of railway track undamaged.
By the end of this round, the rail was damaged namely at 0%, starting next round, all the tracks are our troops enter 100% destroyed.

Over the next round of our armored associations will advance further to come across large currents do us the division's engineer units nothing, that requires another device ....
and this only counter such as the circled here in red, so you can tell by the these are the only units that can prepare a stream to cross.

Next round will be the first of our units come in the near Minsk.
The field fortifications before the city could be identified in part already, it will be interesting what we can expect here.

In Bialystok the situation could still be cleaned up quickly as anticipated, however, rendered the enemy forces in view of their hopeless situation fierce resistance.
After most of the fighting was over now pulled the Local commander a rough balance of what destroyed, looted or was captured.
It was here no less than 11 armored regiments, artillery regiments 2, 9 motorized infantry regiments, 1 Anti Tank Brigade, 1st Cavalry and 3 regiments of infantry,
that comes a whole host of 10th and 3rd Army headquarters .... .... 11th, 13th and 14th Mechanized Corps .... 4th, 33th, 7th and 29th Panzer Division and 204th Mechanized Division 29th .... .. ..184th and 85th Infantry Division.

Here we see the next bastion on our march .... the Stalin Line, let's see here are what Sol has to stop us, hopefully takes the story not too long.

The aircraft losses amounted to 33 own machines ca 560 enemy (1132 divided by 2).

Return to “After Action Reports”