Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again)

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again)

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the Mogolev area now. I'm pretty sure I can contain John's foothold across the river for about two turns but then I'm going to ]
have to displace to other positions if that's even possible because of the advances John is making in other areas of the front. Either
that or make a strongpoint that will take a turn or two to take down. I haven't decided yet. So I'm letting the situation evolve some here.
There's lots of places along the river where John can jump the river again so me containing THIS foothold isn't going to help all that
much in the long run.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (371.25 KiB) Viewed 510 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Have just Larry's turn back and started on my moves. The Leningrad front will now become my main AO and I am racing my Inf divisions north. One of my recon units is in the outer suburbs.

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (454.88 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Down at Kiev I have been able to cross the river in two places and am in the process of getting behind the Kiev MLR.

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (275.91 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

xx
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

above picture at the end of the turn

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (432.46 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Army group centre attacking in the northern and southern end of Larry's MLR. If I can move my Inf up fast enough there could be a large pocket. A lot depends if Larry tries to hold out or if he breaks and runs.

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (298.58 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

The Murmansk front. At present I am hit my head against a brick wall in my attacks on Murmansk.I have captured the port 168/28 and cut the supply line to the Russian forces to the west. In a couple of turns I will be able to destroy them and this will release the 2 divisions in front of them. I will then move them up the line to attack Murmansk.

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (215.51 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

At the gates of Leningrad

Attachments
turn13.gif
turn13.gif (278.03 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Another pocket being formed. 8+ Divisions contained. To the north 2 divisions in a second small pocket.

Attachments
turn14.gif
turn14.gif (454.7 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

In the middle Larry has been able to contain my 2 break ins to his 1st MLR but I have made another river crossing at the bottom of the picture

Attachments
turn14.gif
turn14.gif (325.74 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Down on the Kiev front Larry has been able to contain my first 2 crossings (arrows) but I have made 2 further crossings. The southern one appears to have nothing but blue sky in front of it

Attachments
turn14.gif
turn14.gif (305.16 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

On the very southern front another pocket with 8+ divisions in 3 small pockets. Larry has tried to but a defensive line in front but I am getting round it. If possible I will try and pin these 10 divisions against the Dinper river

Attachments
turn14.gif
turn14.gif (275.18 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Turn 16. In the south I have been able to turn Larry's front and now have units racing into his rear area.

Attachments
turn16.gif
turn16.gif (376.73 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Kiev has fallen and again I have recon and cav units racing into Larry's rear area.

Attachments
turn16.gif
turn16.gif (273.02 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

In the centre Larry has been able to contain all my bridgeheads and I have taken some heavy losses. My only hope is to turn and out flank from the south.

Attachments
turn16.gif
turn16.gif (283.27 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

On the Leningrad front I am in the outer suburbs. I may not have the strength to force my way in until I can release Inf units from other parts of the front.

Attachments
turn16.gif
turn16.gif (311.07 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

Turn 17. In the centre Larry has been able to hold all my attempts to break into his MLR. To the east one can see Larry building another line before his final defence of Moscow. To the south I have been able to surround his defence of Kiev. This has resulted in a pocket of 19+ divisions. It will take several turns to destroy them. Turns that I can not afford. I am racing my recon units to the east but I have to be careful that they are not ambushed.

Attachments
turn17.gif
turn17.gif (423.49 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Thought for the day:
MAurelius

Post by MAurelius »

one thing I simply do not understand in all of this: why is your opponent continously forming defensive lines where it is quite obvious that he can be outflanked and then most likely encircled?? - and then he forms a new front line MILES behind his first one - leaving the first out to die a slow and agonizing death...

just trying to understand his ideas behind this ;)
formerly known as SoliInvictus202
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Early in the war the Soviets are outnumbered and outgunned and there simply was no way to form a proper front line and
most of the actions in the early war were about roadblocks and strongpoints that were both defeated eventually. The same
thing is occuring in our game. The Germans were halted IRL in the battle of Moscow and I'm not sure my boys are up to
that challenge. John is doing magnificant and I'm glad to play him.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
MAurelius

Post by MAurelius »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Early in the war the Soviets are outnumbered and outgunned and there simply was no way to form a proper front line and
most of the actions in the early war were about roadblocks and strongpoints that were both defeated eventually. The same
thing is occuring in our game. The Germans were halted IRL in the battle of Moscow and I'm not sure my boys are up to
that challenge. John is doing magnificant and I'm glad to play him.

no doubt about the historical situation there - but knowing all this - couldn't you have avoided some of it?
there is no real need for you to defend terrain - there is no Stalin back in Moscow telling you to halt... the only thing you need to defend is some of your industrial centers...

again - this is no criticism at all - or no "negative" one at least... just wondering why I see many people - not just you :) - defend Russia this far forward...

whereas when you fall back - the German player will advance further than his supply can take him - then he needs to rest - give you time to strengthen your lines even further....
worked for me twice at least - did stop the game early however.. cause the Dnepr was as far as the Germans got....

PS: also isn't there a HR that the game suggests: the Finns are not allowed to go past the defenses of Leningrad in the north? - I see they have attacked beyond that - was that discussed? - just asking, since it's something the game specifically suggests...
formerly known as SoliInvictus202

Return to “After Action Reports”