BASPM Knock Out my PC!

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

Templer_12

BASPM Knock Out my PC!

Post by Templer_12 »

I installed Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager on hard drive D:.
And this with a good reason, because I have little to no space on disk C:.

After playing a few hours Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager, my PC is blocked and I constantly get the error message that there is no more free space on my hard disk C:.
I have to work with my PC also, but suddenly, from some unknown reason it was no longer possible.

After a long and desperate search I have now discovered that Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager occupied 4 GB! on my hard drive C: although I installed the game on the disk D:.

I now have the choice to Play Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager or to work with my PC!

No Sirs, I'm not happy about this! [:(]

Attachments
BASPMkillmyPC.jpg
BASPMkillmyPC.jpg (128.94 KiB) Viewed 646 times
nico7550

RE: BASPM Knock Out my PC!

Post by nico7550 »

Hi Templer,

Don't worry, I report this problem months ago..., I have a 50Go SSD as system drive and I fight for each bytes of space...

How to solve your trouble:

1. Go on another disk and create a UNITY_CACHE folder in a place you will not delete the folder.
2. Close BASPM
3. go to the cache folder, copy the content to the folder create in point 1
4. rename the cache fodler in cache_OLD
5. launch a command line interpreter as administrator
6. use the mklink command : mklink /D <ORIGINAL_CACHE_FOLDER_PATH> <NEW_CACHE_FOLDER_PATH>
7. delete the folder renamed at point 4

Example for my computer :

1. I go to disk D: and create D:\UNITY_CACHE
2. I close BASPM
3. I copy the content of C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE to D:\UNITY_CACHE
4. I rename C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE into C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE_OLD
5. start menu ==> accessories ==> right click on command line and choice start as administrator
6. mklink /D "C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE" "D:\UNITY_CACHE" (it should create a new folder C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE with a sort arrow on it, If you have an error about creation problem with existing folder, switch the 2 folder in the previous command).
7. I delete "C:\USERS\ME\APPDATA\LOCALOW\UNITY\WEBPLAYER\CACHE_OLD"

Hope it help

Cheers
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

tbh you will have plenty of problems and errors having so little space left on your default windows install drive, always better to have as much space as possible as the swap drive and other stuff is on there and windows will give plenty of errors if it doesn't have access to more,so wil most programs now days as well, time for a reformat and a bigger drive maybe[X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Templer,

Apologies for this. We'll try and find a fix similar to the one nico7550 suggested as part of the installer in a future patch, but this is quite complex so may not be possible.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Just to clarify, the game has not broken anything on Templers PC, it has just run out of HD space. I understand this is frustrating Templer and we'll see if we can find a solution but I just didn't want to worry anyone.

I'd recommend clearing off as much space as possible as so little HD space will cause issues all over the place, and could even lock your machine when opening a doc or xls file.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
czert2

Post by czert2 »

simply buy bigger HDD or just new one as another drive :)
of you have another drive d bigger one, then solution is veryx simle, buy new hdd, instal it, MOVE all from d to new hdd ,then format d, COPY all from c to d (including hidden files).
shut down pc, unplug c, go to bios and setup old d as new c, and if you can there set new hdd as d, if you cant you have to do it under windows.
Enjoy many new free gigas on hdd :).
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Just to clarify, the game has not broken anything on Templers PC, it has just run out of HD space. I understand this is frustrating Templer and we'll see if we can find a solution but I just didn't want to worry anyone.

I'd recommend clearing off as much space as possible as so little HD space will cause issues all over the place, and could even lock your machine when opening a doc or xls file.

far from it, this game has just shown how low his space has gone, as if even the game was uninstalled, there is still almost not enough room left for a descent swap file, mind anything else, but i understand the post :)
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: czert2

of you have another drive d bigger one, then solution is veryx simle, buy new hdd, instal it, MOVE all from d to new hdd ,then format d, COPY all from c to d (including hidden files).
shut down pc, unplug c, go to bios and setup old d as new c, and if you can there set new hdd as d, if you cant you have to do it under windows.
Buy yourself this, you buy that, and then do X to Y and pull Z after you pushed W1c.

How many times have you read in the forums that there are people outside who, due to short money, aren’t able to "simply" buy a game.
And now such people should buy a bigger hard drive to play the game.

And then there are people which are no computer professionals, they are working with their computers and love to play games beside. Such people often know just where to turn on the computer, not more.

Incidentally, the product info says: Hard Disk Space 2.5 GB.

Perhaps it should also be stated the product info that users of older systems may need to buy a new, larger hard drive and advanced skills in computer technology are also necessary.

Seriously now
Asked by a layman, can’t the developer build in the option during the game installation where the user want to save the games cache and other files?
There are software that offers such an option.
nico7550

Post by nico7550 »

Templer, the solution I present is to create a symbolic link between the folder needed for the unity cache and the real folder where you will store the data. Like taht Windows think the folder is in the right place.

It's not related to BASPM but to Unity and cannot be change without going deep in the unity engine itself.

Try what I propose, I'm here to help you if needed.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

think it's better if i don't reply to this thread as my comments may not be welcome

so have edited my reply
czert2

Post by czert2 »

ORIGINAL: Templer

ORIGINAL: czert2

Buy yourself this, you buy that, and then do X to Y and pull Z after you pushed W1c.

How many times have you read in the forums that there are people outside who, due to short money, aren’t able to "simply" buy a game.
And now such people should buy a bigger hard drive to play the game.

And then there are people which are no computer professionals, they are working with their computers and love to play games beside. Such people often know just where to turn on the computer, not more.

Incidentally, the product info says: Hard Disk Space 2.5 GB.

Perhaps it should also be stated the product info that users of older systems may need to buy a new, larger hard drive and advanced skills in computer technology are also necessary.

Seriously now
Asked by a layman, can’t the developer build in the option during the game installation where the user want to save the games cache and other files?
There are software that offers such an option.
well, price of new 2tb hdds is nice, in range od 2-3 highly priced games or 4-6 normaly priced (ignoring fact that if you cant buy 1 normaly priced game....well running of pc consume some money too.
and buing of new hdd and isntaling it will be allways cheaper than buing whole new pc . As your friend if anyone have pc-knowlenge to instal new hdd for you, if you lack it (and isntaling it is realy easy, especialy s-ata ones, old p-ata were much more trickier).
Or simply do easiest thing - clean up your disk and delete all unnecesary/unnused/old files :).
And yes, it says 2,5gb install size, but this never ever included temporary/chaching/saves...etc files for any game.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Templer you seem overly agitated when in fact this is more your problem then Matrix and they are honestly trying to help. Anytime you get a drive with that low of space you will run into problems. Maybe invest in a bigger drive first then worry about buying games.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

I do NOT see the crisis here.

When I get below 20 GB free on my C:\ drive I simply uninstall one of the games that I am not currently playing. I usually do it on my Steam games because I can see how many hours I have actually played each game and it shows me the last time I played the game.

I do not see where this is a Matrix or Buzz Aldrin game problem.

Keep 20 GB free is my advice.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well you 3 all put it much more better than i did, i lost it altogether, the plot and thread and my comments etc were way over the top but basically said the same thing, i just didn't put it so nice as you 3 did either so thanks all 3 above for your comments and advice[&o][&o][&o]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The issue is the Unity engine. It is an engine used by thousands of games and there is no way to specify it creates the cache file anywhere other than the C drive in the engine. It is clearly not an issues they considered and you'd have similar problems with the thousands of other Unity games that are available. Its not that we don't ant to help, but we are not actually able to change it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
czert2

Post by czert2 »

So mayby you can talk with devs of unity engine and ask them when you have to install it, then they will implement specifiing of path where to create swap file, or at least give oprtion to modifii it in some update.
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

It's a shame Unity is that rigid, but certainly it ought to be reflected in the system requirements for the game at least?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the engine isn't the problem, the lack of space is, even if they sorted out a patch to re route it elsewhere, the user would still run into windows errors as nothing else would work as no space is free on the C drive, swap files, page files and temp files then would also need to be moved elsewhere, what are you all seeing that's different from me?

engine programming has totally nothing to do with it, operating system and users full drive is the problem, sorry but basic computer operating system knowledge is needed, end of[&:]

good advice has been offered and given by developer, this storm in a tea cup and poor choice of words in thread name has got far too much views and comments for all the wrong reasons...

if the game in question would have been bought from lets say sega, you wouldn't even have got a reply...

on most forum i'm on it would have been flamed or edited as game hasn't knocked out anything, your pc is crawling as it has no space left, and would have been slow as a donkey before the game even was installed if only a 4gb file is needed to make it fall over, get a grip, take the advice offered, as it's sound advice, uninstall some junk, as everyone has it, ccleaner is good for junk removal then retry the advice offered, the best one is still get a larger drive tbh cheap and you won't run into the same problem a few weeks or months down the line....

last comment i'll make in this thread, as it's had too much views and my time already, i'm out of here[;)]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We can add it to the min spec but people wont pay much attention to the fact it says C drive. All that will do is allow us to say "The min spec says you need X space on the C Drive" and it wont make the customer any happier. Unfortunately people almost never read the min spec and its just a way if us protecting ourselves.

Unity are not really going to make changes to their engine because we request it for a single PC user unfortunately. It would need a fairly large tidal wave of opinion to get changes and this is a very unusual problem only applicable to PC. Partitioned drives don't really make much sense any more with modern operating systems and so very few people have them.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello guys,

I'll talk to the Production guys and see if we can add a step in the installer in order to make Unity's cache point to a different directory/partition using the method that Nico suggested (which I tried myself and works perfectly, BTW [;)]). In the meantime, I suggest you to follow that procedure. It only takes two minutes to do via the command line.

On a more personal note, I'd ask you guys to be more careful with the words and the icons you pick when reporting a problem. Newcomers browsing the forums will get a very negative opinion of the game if they browse the forums and see posts with such subjects as "BASPM Knock Out my PC!". I think you'll agree with me that we're nothing short of responsive in here. Did you run into an issue? Then by all means report it and we'll look into it, but please try to avoid alarming titles, as nothing beneficial will come out of it.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

Return to “Tech Support”