War's End?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wdolson

RE: War's End?

Post by wdolson »

I played it fairly conservative after the early going. I lost a couple of old battleships at Pearl Harbor and I think one more in the early months, I think it was defending Port Morseby. For early carrier battles, I made sure they happened near home turf so the damaged carriers had a chance and I was able to save all damaged carriers. I was aggressive with ASW and a fairly large number of losses were ASW ships that lost a battle with a sub. I probably lost 30-40 ships in ASW battles.

I did have PDU on, but I didn't do any effort to load up any squadrons with aces. Most of my air to air kills were scored after Korea fell. I first moved a lot of engineer units into southern Korea along with most of the AA available. As the bases got built up, I moved in more and more fighters. There were big air battles every day with heavy Japanese losses. Since the Allied pilots were over their home bases, pilot losses were small.

For some time during the air defense phase in Korea my top ace was a Kiwi, he survived the war, but the Kiwis were out of the bulk of the air war once things started going offensive until they got Corsairs, but by then Japanese resistance was weak.

As the bases got built up and the raids began to weaken, I started sweeping with some of my fighters. Most of the early sweepers were Corsairs which did rack up a high total. VMF-111 had something like 8 of the top 10 aces, but it was just luck of the draw. Because it was earlier in the OOB, it probably swept first most of the time and got into the most enemy fighters. I was careful to keep pilot fatigue low and even stood them down for a day or two. This did reduce losses.

It took awhile to get enough supply and enough base units into Korea to start offensive bombing operations. I had bombers sitting in various bases waiting to move in for a long time.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Thanks for sharing this Bill,
kb
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I played it fairly conservative after the early going. I lost a couple of old battleships at Pearl Harbor and I think one more in the early months, I think it was defending Port Morseby. For early carrier battles, I made sure they happened near home turf so the damaged carriers had a chance and I was able to save all damaged carriers. I was aggressive with ASW and a fairly large number of losses were ASW ships that lost a battle with a sub. I probably lost 30-40 ships in ASW battles.

I did have PDU on, but I didn't do any effort to load up any squadrons with aces. Most of my air to air kills were scored after Korea fell. I first moved a lot of engineer units into southern Korea along with most of the AA available. As the bases got built up, I moved in more and more fighters. There were big air battles every day with heavy Japanese losses. Since the Allied pilots were over their home bases, pilot losses were small.

For some time during the air defense phase in Korea my top ace was a Kiwi, he survived the war, but the Kiwis were out of the bulk of the air war once things started going offensive until they got Corsairs, but by then Japanese resistance was weak.

As the bases got built up and the raids began to weaken, I started sweeping with some of my fighters. Most of the early sweepers were Corsairs which did rack up a high total. VMF-111 had something like 8 of the top 10 aces, but it was just luck of the draw. Because it was earlier in the OOB, it probably swept first most of the time and got into the most enemy fighters. I was careful to keep pilot fatigue low and even stood them down for a day or two. This did reduce losses.

It took awhile to get enough supply and enough base units into Korea to start offensive bombing operations. I had bombers sitting in various bases waiting to move in for a long time.

Bill
If you said it I missed it - how did you get the Soviets to activate?
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Bill

yes, how did you? I missed that little caveat completely, June '44.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

I looked, but all I could find was the number of days, not a date. Scenario 1 and 2 are both 1634 turns.

On every tab in the editor except, oddly enough, the Scenario tab, there's a display in the lower left corner that shows the start date, end date, and number of turns. For Scenario 1, the start date is December 7, 1941, the end date is May 29, 1946, and the number of turns is 1634.
-- Mark Sieving
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

So as long as we are talking about "screwing with the start/stop dates" , that is being able to start the war later and continue later, here's two semi related editor questions. (Please understand ,I HAVE read the manual, just don't always understand it). If you check the RESPAWN block, does this mean the old respawn feature from Vanilla WITP is reactivated? What ship types apply?

And two , I understand you can change "Soviet activation" to yes, but that activates the USSR on the starting day. Any way to activate them sooner , but not from day one?

Thanks in advance. [&o]
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

Section 16.1.1 in the main manual:

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and
:
An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.
An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class
CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.
Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type “D” Midget Submarine
Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

I looked, but all I could find was the number of days, not a date. Scenario 1 and 2 are both 1634 turns.

On every tab in the editor except, oddly enough, the Scenario tab, there's a display in the lower left corner that shows the start date, end date, and number of turns. For Scenario 1, the start date is December 7, 1941, the end date is May 29, 1946, and the number of turns is 1634.

Figures the only tab I looked at was Scenario.
The Moose
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Bill
ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: zuluhour
yes, how did you? I missed that little caveat completely, June '44.

Taking Tokyo with that kind of force stationed there is completely impossible without the Red Army. I popped over to the Japanese side by running a turn Head to Head. I was trying to help the AI a bit by converting air units to something in the pool. After the heavy air battles of 1943, there were a lot of Japanese air units with no planes and production was inadequate to replace them, but there were other airframes in the pool. Anyway, with all of Manchuko in Allied hands, the Soviets activated the 3rd or 4th time I popped over to the Japanese side.

I know a large number of AI players know about switching to Head to Head (I've seen people mention it here). I wouldn't mention it if I haven't seen others talk about it. You can only switch modes if you started the game in something other than PBEM. With PMEM the play mode is locked into that mode for the duration. I have seen some AI players switch sides after a while to see if they can save the situation from where the AI has left them. I have seen others who put the game in Continuous on Head to Head for a few game months, then start play from where they broke in.

Bill
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Ah So[:D]
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Shoot I'm in early December, 1943 and have the Marshals, Gilberts, & Truk so far....
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I always hate how these super long grand campaign games end with a whimper and a simple game over screen.

There should be fireworks, a printable certificate, medals, awards, movie, flyover, parade...in other words all sorts of easter eggs for being crazy enough to reach the end.[:)]

Amen!
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Is this an edited scenario, if not I'd like to know how you managed to save up so many PPs? 72000 political points is 1440 turns at 50 per turn. That's 4 years of saved up unused points and you have all those divisions unlocked.

Jim
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Yes, I merged some scenarios together. It's a cross between the DBB B, Iron Man, and Juan's extra carrier mod. I don't know what happened with the PP, I may have done an editing error. PPs did seem tight in the early going though.

Bill

Return to “The War Room”