Modding help?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

ICAbell

Modding help?

Post by ICAbell »

Hi, so I've really gotten into modding my game, adding new races, changing values, etc. Simple stuff. But one thing I'd really like to do is add to the galactopedia. But I have less than no idea, and my previous attempts failed slightly disastrously. Could anybody please help?
Darkspire

RE: Modding help?

Post by Darkspire »

Welcome to the forums ICAbell [:)]

The files are .MHT, you will either have to write them from scratch in HTML or edit them with Microflop Word (2003 onwards) and then save as a new file name.

If you are unable to do either then write out what you want in a text file, send it to me and I will make the file(s) for you [:)]

Darkspire
ICAbell

Post by ICAbell »

Thanks a lot Darkspire.

Oh, is that all you had to do? I was just editing the .MHT file in notepad, but it wasn't working out, and the new files wouldn't appear in game. I'll give starting a HTML a go now.

Thanks again, I appreciate it, and I'll let you know if I need any more help :)
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: ICAbell

Thanks a lot Darkspire.

Oh, is that all you had to do? I was just editing the .MHT file in notepad, but it wasn't working out, and the new files wouldn't appear in game. I'll give starting a HTML a go now.

Thanks again, I appreciate it, and I'll let you know if I need any more help :)

A MHT file is like a ZIP / RAR archive, it contains all the graphics, HTML etc in a single archive, the HTML once written will need to be packed as a MHT, easiest way, (although I must admit I have not tried), would be write the HTML, open a browser and save the page as MHT.

Hope all goes well.

Darkspire
ICAbell

Post by ICAbell »

Hi, so sorry to bother you again. But I'm really not sure where I'm going wrong here. I've made an MHT file, and it seems fine, it looks like a galactopedia entry. But it won't show up in the galactopedia. You don't happen to have any idea why do you? I'd really appreciate a hand.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: ICAbell

Hi, so sorry to bother you again. But I'm really not sure where I'm going wrong here. I've made an MHT file, and it seems fine, it looks like a galactopedia entry. But it won't show up in the galactopedia. You don't happen to have any idea why do you? I'd really appreciate a hand.

If it doesn't show up then it is one of two things.

A. The MHT file is incorrect in some way.

B. The naming convention for the file you have made is incorrect, for example,

Component_COMPONENTNAME.mht
Race_RACENAME.mht
Resource_RESOURCENAME.mht
Etc

Have a look in the DW root directory and look in the Help folder, all the files are in there, you can then see the names for each type that are allowed.

The naming of the files is strict, if you do not name them correctly they will not show up where they should.

Examples;

I have a component called Box, so the component MHT would be called Component_Box.mht

I have a race called Qwerty, so the race MHT would be called Race_Qwerty.mht.

I have a resource named Stone, so the resource MHT would be called Resource_Stone.mht

Darkspire
ICAbell

Post by ICAbell »

Actually mate, don't worry about it, I've cracked it. Cheers anyway though.
ICAbell

Post by ICAbell »

Heh, timing or what. Yeah, I'd just made a spelling mistake in the filename. Simple thing, it was just me being stupid. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Design and Modding”