3.5 Use Oil Rounds Down to 3?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

3.5 Use Oil Rounds Down to 3?

Post by rkr1958 »

I just got through the Use Oil phase with the CW. Unless I'm missing something, 3.5 oil rounded down to 3. I thought 3.5 was suppose to round up to 4? I'm assuming this may be a bug and will attach my turn next post.

By the way, you can know if the oil used is rounding down by the fact that the "OK - Done" button is enabled (i.e., not grayed out). When you have to round up that button is grayed out and can only be enabled by clicking on the "Expend Oil Point" button, which then rounds the oil used up.

Sorry in advance if I'm wrong about 3.5 oil should be rounding up, and not down. [&:]

Attachments
3.5OilRoundsDownTo3.jpg
3.5OilRoundsDownTo3.jpg (345.49 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: 3.5 Use Oil Rounds Down to 3?

Post by rkr1958 »

Game turn attached.
Attachments
UseOil..onwealth.zip
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Ronnie
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I'm not sure what problem you are reporting here.

This form shows the amounts in hundredths of a unit if necessary. It shows tenths if the hundredths place is zero and integer number if there is no fractional part.

The numbers shown in your screenshot look correct. When you close the form, the .5 oil in Charlottetown should be reduced to zero.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

He's probably referring to general custom. Normally a half would round up to one if we were only counting in whole numbers.
It's in the oil rules somewhere, but if you use half an oil point, it must be expended. If you only use 0.45 of an oil point, then it stays. If we ever measure the oil use by tenths, then you should be able to burn as much as 0.49 before having to expend the oil point. And it will not automatically expend - the Expend Oil Point button must be clicked to exit from that form.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I just tried it, and everything worked, even though it didn't look like it should.

The thing that looks wrong is that the one may press the "Done" button without expending the oil point. However, after doing so, I found that the oil point was expended anyway. This is correct, but not how MWiF behaves if there is anything other than exactly 1/2 an oil point left in the oil point. If there is less than 1/2, it makes you manually expend the oil point, while if there is more, it keeps the oil resource on the map.

This is the only case where one may finish the oil step and have a partially consumed oil resource automatically removed from the map.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

I just tried it, and everything worked, even though it didn't look like it should.

The thing that looks wrong is that the one may press the "Done" button without expending the oil point. However, after doing so, I found that the oil point was expended anyway. This is correct, but not how MWiF behaves if there is anything other than exactly 1/2 an oil point left in the oil point. If there is less than 1/2, it makes you manually expend the oil point, while if there is more, it keeps the oil resource on the map.

This is the only case where one may finish the oil step and have a partially consumed oil resource automatically removed from the map.
Thanks for running this to ground. It didn't occur to me to check that the oil point was expended. I just assumed that it wasn't because I didn't have to press the "expend oil" button to continue.

By the way, why is there even an expend oil button? Should the program, when you hit the "ok-done" button keep the oil point if it's > 0.5 and expend it if it's <=0.5 ? The reason I ask is because I accidentally expended an oil one time when it wasn't necessary (i.e., > 0.5 was left). Would there ever be an occasion where I would intentionally want to expend an oil point > 0.5?
Ronnie
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Thanks for running this to ground. It didn't occur to me to check that the oil point was expended. I just assumed that it wasn't because I didn't have to press the "expend oil" button to continue.

By the way, why is there even an expend oil button? Should the program, when you hit the "ok-done" button keep the oil point if it's > 0.5 and expend it if it's <=0.5 ? The reason I ask is because I accidentally expended an oil one time when it wasn't necessary (i.e., > 0.5 was left). Would there ever be an occasion where I would intentionally want to expend an oil point > 0.5?

yeah, when the maniacal blonde German tank commander is driving a Patton tank up the hill at you in the fuel depot, it's time to dump it all
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

By the way, why is there even an expend oil button?
I think it's for when you are trying to conserve by selectively re-orging. Once you are happy with the units selected, you then choose to expend the oil needed.
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

By the way, why is there even an expend oil button?
I think it's for when you are trying to conserve by selectively re-orging. Once you are happy with the units selected, you then choose to expend the oil needed.
Yes. It is very rare that the player doesn't simply click on the Expend Oil button and then close the form. However, it is possible that you might have thought you were only using 0.4 oil points when you actually exceeded that amount. Then you might want to reorganize a couple more units rather than just waste the partial remaining oil point.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”