0.8.5 AI Performance

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

stilicho410

0.8.5 AI Performance

Post by stilicho410 »

I thought I'd post some brief notes I made on how the U.S. AI did during my first full Soviet Campaign game.

Other players are welcome to add to this thread on how the AI performed during their games.

The first several years of the campaign were fairly close, with me beating the U.S by a season or two with Sputnik vs Explorer, and Vostok vs Mercury.

The U.S. also invested in the X15 and additional satellite programs. I decided to concentrate on getting the first moon landing, so the only satellite I researched after Sputnik was the first Lunar Flyby, enabling the lunar landing programs.

Skipping most of the satellite allowed me to concentrate my SET training and research programs on manned spaceflight

The U.S. then skipped Gemini, and went straight to Apollo. Wondering if I was making a mistake, I did Voshkod, since it is so much cheaper. While Voshkod was still in progress, I opened the Soyuz 7K-L3 LOK Earth Orbit program as soon as I had the cash.

My first Soyuz Lunar Landing was 1969.Q3. I was pretty fortunate throughout the game, only losing two astronauts on an early Voshkod mission.

The first Apollo Lunar landing was 1973.Q1. However, they did achieve all of the satellite planetary goals many years before I even started on them.

FYI, here are a few more detailed notes on the progress of the U.S. Apollo program for the AI. I didn't start taking notes on U.S. progress until they started Apollo.)

U.S. Apollo Flights for AI

Unmanned Suborbital: Q3.1965

Suborbital: Q3.1966

Uncrewed Orbital, Orbital: Q4.1967

Uncrewed Orbital LEM Test, Orbital Flight EVA Q1.1969

Orbit Rendezvous with crewed vehicle Q3.1969

Orbital Flight Duration III with EVA Q4.1969

Apollo LEM Test in Earth Orbit Q4.1970

Uncrewed Lunar Flyby Q1.1971
Circumlunar Flight Q1.1971

Apollo Uncrewed Lunar Orbital Flight Test Q1.1972

Apollo Lunar Orbital Flight Test Q3.1972

Apollo LEM Test in Lunar Orbit Q4.1972

Apollo Lunar Landing (LOR) Type G and H Q1.1973
Thanks,
Stilicho
czert2

RE: 0.8.5 AI Performance

Post by czert2 »

no new ideas ? comments ? look prety dead since relase date is coming.
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

ORIGINAL: czert2

no new ideas ? comments ? look prety dead since relase date is coming.

That's because the release date is coming! [;)]

Seriously, though, we're pretty busy here wrapping up things for the Gold Master. Tons of tiny things to do that, individually, might not matter a lot, but together they will make a big difference in the released version. I promise I'll engage into the forums discussions once the Gold Master is done.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Hello stilicho,

Thanks for the report, interesting to see that the US were quite in late and that you managed to land a cosmonaut on the Moon before 1970 [8D]. Which difficulty level did you select ?
Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor
stilicho410

Post by stilicho410 »

I played on Normal difficulty.
Thanks,
Stilicho
decaro

Post by decaro »

So there is a "space race" in this game after all?

I was under the impression that the Space Program Manager was to be a single entity overseeing a joint international venture, which to me seemed totally unrealistic.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Joe,

Indeed, yes! The game now features a race to the Moon campaign and single player modes. We made this decision at the end of last year, after the feedback we got during the beginning of the Early Access Program. See the announcement we made back in January here.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”