Someone please remind me...

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

JWW

Someone please remind me...

Post by JWW »

...I have come back to this game after two or three years away with other games. Here is my question. When playing solo A New Dawn random games with resources on, what advantages in resources does the AI get? It appears they get almost unlimited raw and oil. Does this vary with difficulty level? Thanks.
Ormand

RE: Someone please remind me...

Post by Ormand »

I believe that the AI gets unlimited oil and raw. If you look in the editor at even 10 "Round Event" this essentially give the AI 99999 oil and raw every turn.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Not sure that is true. The slider scale on my games shows them losing oil and raw. Though they never stop moving.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

You could be right.

I had seen this event before, but I didn't read it too carefully. There is a line that says

check 1 = 0

which of course can never happen and makes you wonder why the event is there.

The event loops over regimes, checks if they are AI and then sets Regimvar 0 (raw) and 1 (oil) to 99999.

It is a round check event, thus is checked each turn but it does look like the check doesn't allow this to be executed. The other thing this event does is to set Gameslot_Weather Set(#4) = -1

There is also event 41 is executed at the end of the turn. This one AI upgrades oil and raw with what looks to be a 15% chance. Also, it may seem to give a bonus. I need to read it more carefully to see what it actually does.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Josh

Post by Josh »

I stopped strategically bombing AI resources, because as you say they never stop moving, or stop building. What does work however is taking out AI factories or strategically bombing AI cities. Once an AI city is surrounded and bombed to zero points it's for grabs.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Yes Factories have a limited amount of damage before being destroyed out right. But since the AI does so poorly building with them I prefer to capture them if possible.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

I concur with Ormand - neither oil nor raw efffect the AI. If you scroll the settings window in the editor, under AI, you can see where this can be turned on or off.

One thing I have not been able to determine is if AI gets unlimited supply. I thought it did, but have played several games where the AI seems to build too many units and readiness goes way down - however, this might be caused by HQ's that are too small - not enough staff. Need to double check...
Mike
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

I concur with Ormand - neither oil nor raw efffect the AI. If you scroll the settings window in the editor, under AI, you can see where this can be turned on or off.

One thing I have not been able to determine is if AI gets unlimited supply. I thought it did, but have played several games where the AI seems to build too many units and readiness goes way down - however, this might be caused by HQ's that are too small - not enough staff. Need to double check...

No you're right, there are instances, quite a few really, where the AI outproduces it's supply resources. Then again sometimes it doesn't outproduce, so a mixed bag. Definitely something Vic needs to address...in a future update, no hurry, no biggie, no gamebreaker as far as I'm concerned.
A limited supply resource, there are only so many cities that can produce supply, limits your force, and can be understood as "manpower" too, the way HOI has it. Each country can have only so much manpower, and that number rises slowly :-)

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”