WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 10 - The East Front Box

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

RedLancer

WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 10 - The East Front Box

Post by RedLancer »

One of the longest running discussions on the WitE forum was about the withdrawal of the units destroyed at Stalingrad which when rebuilt served in the West. This post is not about restarting that discussion but it nice to know that WitW has addressed the root cause of the issue: the division of forces between the eastern and western fronts.

In the campaign games axis players can chose to play with the East Front Box option. When ‘Off’ the Soviet/Axis frontline will automatically move toward Berlin on a roughly historical schedule and Berlin will fall on the first May 45 turn and the game will end. When ‘On’ you have control over all ground and air forces and you can move them between the East and West at a cost in Admin Points.

The EF Box lists all the units in the East and gives you basic control over their status. During the Axis logistics phase, combat on the Eastern Front is resolved. The extent of the fighting is based on the Soviet Potential and the amount of Total Combat Value of German Units. If Stable, the front line will move no more than 1 hex column per turn. If the front is Fluid, a multi-hex advance is possible and greater German casualties will occur. When the situation is Critical, the chance of a large advance is greatly increased, as are German losses.

Although the possibilities offered by the EF Box are not endless players can experiment with strategies such as bringing more Mountain Divisions to Italy or switching Wehrmacht Panzer Divisions for those of the SS.

The screenshot shows the EF Box - 519th Hvy PzJg Bn is set to refit, whilst 616th Hvy PzJg Bn is unready.

Attachments
EFBox.jpg
EFBox.jpg (163.81 KiB) Viewed 374 times
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Commanderski

RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 10 - The East Front Box

Post by Commanderski »

I hope to see something like this in WITE 2.0 [:)]

I really like this feature and will more than likely use it.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

what's the penalties for taking troops from elsewhere then?
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

If you mean robbing the west for the east then the penalty is purely dependent on your ability against your opponent.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

If you mean robbing the west for the east then the penalty is purely dependent on your ability against your opponent.

when you say opponent, you mean AI?

and tbh i meant what's the penalty from taking units in the east and using them in the west against the AI etc?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i'll say it differently, i know the east campaign will suffer or collapse altogether but if i wanted to could i use all of above in the west and suffer the loss of the east and fight ok? like a what if type campaign from the begining so i pull back from the east and just do a holding or retreat type battle in the east and fight harder in the west?

or is that for the editor only and make my own ones?
as i like the idea of what if type battles and campaigns with the units above being used like you said in Italy etc or other places...

as i see if says front stable / critical etc, so there must be a limit on how many you can move or use before it comes tumbling down around you
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

It doesn't matter whether it's AI or Human. When the Soviets or the Allies reach Berlin it's game over.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

so if you pull back and defend as well as you can everywhere you can't make it go on longer then, that all i was asking etc, looks like a mod (editor) then for me[;)]
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

The way I read it it is possible to extend the game past May 1945. Will the Soviets advance one hex by default? And if yes, what is the maximum extension you could squeeze out of the WitE?
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Beginning of August 1945 is the latest the game can end.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Makes sense - running on past then would make Berlin a candidate for the first nuke. Or a candidate for a message along the lines of "Dear Adolf, where would you like yours?" if the first remains at Hiroshima. We could debate this all we like, but I think that is a good end stop. Mostly because it avoids all the 'what ifs' along the line of better German jets, tank developments etc
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”