Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

berto

RE: Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Orm

So regardless of what one think of Mel Gibson, I do not think it is fair to include three of his movies here.
It's worse than that. Counting his voice acting in Pocahontas (as John Smith), make that four movies.

But I agree. The maker of that stupid list holds a grudge against Gibson.

This:
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

... there are some 1,000 movies that could have made some iteration of that top 10 list. All the aforementioned actors made some doosies that, by all rights, should be relegated to the dustbins of cinematic history. Some of the author's top 10 list are slam dunks (TMTSNBN), others more personal (possibly anti-Gibson) bias. To each their own.
+1
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

bump
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
typical anti-British tripe nonetheless.....
How can anything anti-British not be good cinema?

I remember first seeing "The Patriot" at Eagle Base, Tuzla, as Mel Gibson -- in a Hollywood Hawaiian shirt -- intro'd the film for us serving in what he called "beautiful downtown Bosnia".

An English officer of engineers serving with us wasn't amused either.

"The Patriot" was rousing action and a good distraction from the monotony of peace keeping, but not only was it ahistorical, it so whitewashed everything colonial while stereotyping the Brits to the point of character assassination that this New Englander couldn't possibly defend it with a straight face.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Wouldn't this discussion be simpler if we resorted to naming films that are at least not horribly inaccurate?

Let's see, hmmm I will get back to you if I can think of one.

To be clear, we're talking about feature films right? Not documentaries (not that calling something a documentary is going to be any help).
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

... To be clear, we're talking about feature films right? Not documentaries (not that calling something a documentary is going to be any help).

The so-called History Channel has played that card before, e.g., The World Wars.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

I'm pretty sure Inglourious Basterds has some inaccuracies. IIRC, Hitler wasn't killed in a Parisian movie house by Jewish-American commandos. [8D]
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

There were a few mistakes in the plane and firearm props used in Hot Shots!, but otherwise the plot was very faithful to the historical record.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

There were a few mistakes in the plane and firearm props used in Hot Shots!, but otherwise the plot was very faithful to the historical record.
warspite1

Hot Shots Part Deux - Just Deux it, was even more true to life.

"War! It's fantastic!" One of the best lines in any film, ever [&o] [&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

No it wasn't. The hemipupilectomy that "Washout" (to correct 'walleye vision') had to get via trans-rectal surgery is a decidedly poorer approach than the traditional ocular surgery. These medical errors ruined the film for me.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

And this is a conversation you can only dream about having....

Topper Harley: Nice place.
Ramada Thompson: It's okay. The only problem is I have a nosy landlady. Well, I guess this is goodnight.
Topper Harley: I don't want to go back.
Ramada Thompson: You don't have to. I don't want to be alone. And by the way... I can go all night, like a lumberjack!
Topper Harley: What about your landlady?
Ramada Thompson: You can do her too.

Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

My personal vote would be the Errol Flynn version of the Charge of the Light Brigade:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge ... 1936_film)

"Santa Fe Trail", also starring Flynn, had some howlers about John Brown's Raid as well.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
parusski

Post by parusski »

It sucks.

Winslet's whatsits?

I think not, sir! They were quite fine. Indeed one of the best parts of the movie!
warspite1

Well they at least provided some relief from the tedium that was that wretched film. Just a shame the iceberg didn't claim them both. EDIT: sorry that's him and her not both her whatsits....

I thought Titanic was the best comedy of the 90's. I got lot's of laughs from it.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I thought Titanic was the best comedy of the 90's. I got lot's of laughs from it.

The guy hitting the propeller on the way down was objectively one of the best moments of unintentional comedy in any film.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Oh and the new 300 Spartans, yes, very accurate. Especially that hunchback looking thing and that creature that almost killed Leonidas. [:D] But, honestly who amoung you really knows what happened on that day in history. Remember now you just read it in some book by someone who read it in some book by someone who read it in some library an on an on. The story has been passed down so many times who's really to knows what happened? [:D] I just can't believe the Persian King was that stupid when he had so many options of beating the Spartans at Thermopoly. I could have done it with two ranks of archers and a few elephants.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I had a boss that took his wife to Titanic. He said about 20-30 mins in, he got up and said he was going to the bathroom. He went out had 2-3 beers at a local bar. Then he came back and he said the ship was still sinking. His wife didn't even notice how long he was gone. Win/Win.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I had a boss that took his wife to Titanic. He said about 20-30 mins in, he got up and said he was going to the bathroom. He went out had 2-3 beers at a local bar. Then he came back and he said the ship was still sinking. His wife didn't even notice how long he was gone. Win/Win.
warspite1

So he probably missed Winslet's whatsits...

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

From what I recall Waterloo was relatively accurate - and a bloody good film.

"Now Maitland, now's your time!"[&o][&o]

Attachments
TheGarde.jpg
TheGarde.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

300 was probably inaccurate - but what a thoroughly enjoyable film it was [&o]

Attachments
300spartans.jpg
300spartans.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

No. I mean, the actual battle was over quite a large area. Prussians, British and other Europeans were fighting the French, right? But in all that movie, you'd a thunk that there could have been even a *bit* of attention paid to the Americans present? This lack of attention to the American contribution to the battle killed it for me.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No. I mean, the actual battle was over quite a large area. Prussians, British and other Europeans were fighting the French, right? But in all that movie, you'd a thunk that there could have been even a *bit* of attention paid to the Americans present? This lack of attention to the American contribution to the battle killed it for me.
warspite1

And you are quite wrong sir. Who was Wellington's deputy quarter-master General? Why, none other than Colonel Sir William Howe De Lancey.

Where was he born? New York.

By the way, he died a very unpleasant death.... a richocheting canonball making mincemeat of his ribs and internal organs, leaving him to die in agony days later, nursed by the woman he had only recently married.

He is played in the film by the geezer that played the Saint - not Roger Moore the other one.

Attachments
13154-20876.jpg
13154-20876.jpg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Return to “General Discussion”