radar anyone?...

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

mgaffn1

radar anyone?...

Post by mgaffn1 »

I am looking for some suggestions for how to simulate a radar installation. My first attempt was to create a ground Subformation, classify it as a FLAK unit with little or no attack value, no mobility, and give it 99 spotting points, and a range of 5 hexes.
Results were pretty boring, the spotting didn't seem to effect it, and it didn't help my interceptors any...

Which leads to the second part of my query: is a radar installation even necessary? You could argue that the radar feature is already built into fighter technology. With each tech level increase, your fighters intercept ability increases.

Has anyone else considered this?
Mike
ernieschwitz

RE: radar anyone?...

Post by ernieschwitz »

Bombur and I considered to simulate Radar, in GD 1938, using intercept values, that could be higher for when radar was researched. However it turned out that intercept values are only used on an opponents turn, making the programming we had done function the exact opposite of intended.

Tweber did some changes to the recon values when you had researched his version of the Radar research. This was in WaW. Basically you got bigger range and better spotting, when you had it researched. But of course this included groundforces too....

So some attempts of a Radar have been made.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

I'll check out Tweber's WaW scenario.

I recall the original Advanced Tactics had "scouts" or "spotters" as a ground Subformation. I check that out too.
Mike
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Which leads to the second part of my query: is a radar installation even necessary? You could argue that the radar feature is already built into fighter technology. With each tech level increase, your fighters intercept ability increases.

Has anyone else considered this?

Yes you could argue that indeed, but IMHO it could be another worthy addition in ATG. It is my general feeling that the map could use some enhancements such as radar, minefields, coastal bunkers, etc. So yes radar would work nicely in my opinion. How it would work is another thing... maybe better intercept chances or higher kill ratio?
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

Funny you should mention that - I've been considering coastal bunkers and flak towers as well. In fact, these locationtypes would be easier to build than radar installations.

How to actually make radar work within the current game architecture would be to buy research that either 1) enables the player to upgrade his planes with better spotting, range, and kill ratios, or 2) have the research trigger an event that "mutates" or "morphs" existing units to improved models, with higher spotting/range/kill ratio. Can't recall the exact coding, will need to look in the editor.

If I had better coding skills, I could build more effects/variables into locationtypes. Instead, any simulation of improved radar is going to have to be executed via subformationtypes.
Mike
Vic

Post by Vic »

Making a note if I can transfer the intercept range to a SFType specific setting in a next version.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Making a note if I can transfer the intercept range to a SFType specific setting in a next version.

Best wishes,
Vic

[&o]
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Funny you should mention that - I've been considering coastal bunkers and flak towers as well. In fact, these locationtypes would be easier to build than radar installations.

How to actually make radar work within the current game architecture would be to buy research that either 1) enables the player to upgrade his planes with better spotting, range, and kill ratios, or 2) have the research trigger an event that "mutates" or "morphs" existing units to improved models, with higher spotting/range/kill ratio. Can't recall the exact coding, will need to look in the editor.

If I had better coding skills, I could build more effects/variables into locationtypes. Instead, any simulation of improved radar is going to have to be executed via subformationtypes.

One could argue that bunkers placed at a coastal line would be "coastal bunkers" and that Flak units would act as "Flak towers"... but still I feel it would make more sense - map wise - to be able to build these structures on the map. Coastal bunkers and Flak towers could be upgradeable, from 1 to 4, better guns and more hitpoints.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”