DW - Starfall Ver 1.12

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

joproulx99

RE: DW - Starfall - version 0.4 (48 Races with 1000 Research Techs)

Post by joproulx99 »

You lurchi and blackstork should (have) team up together OMG. Modding this much is too much work for one person, of course you get burned out :O, many awsome ideas are spread out into so much different mods...very impressive what you have done on your own so far...[&o]

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Ya take a break. I was making a SE V conversion mod, but quit. It's a lot of work, and I enjoy the original game just as much anyways. I'm a little burned out from playing DW:U so much and have moved on to other games atm. I'll still fire it up once and awhile to play your mod. It's a good mod that doesn't get the credit it deserves.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I'm glad I took a break since I was getting tired of DW. Been playing Dead Rising 3 and now just got a hold of Shadows of Mordor.

But it looks like quite a lot of people have downloaded my mod. So I might start working on it again but slowly not like before. Priority would have to be how the AI chooses research priority (Smart AI Researching).

The new update 1.9.5.8 looks like nothing was fixed so I have a bad feeling that 256 components is the cap along with 1000 research techs. I had more ideas but if this is the cap then I'll just work with what I already have. Maybe rearrange things.
fierceking

RE: DW - Starfall - ver 0.5 (48 Races with 1000 Research Techs)

Post by fierceking »

I will be uploading version 0.6 by the weekend.

Smarter AI is almost complete and is around 99% done. I just need to recheck to make sure there are no bugs.

It was a lot more work than I thought. The more techs I had, the harder it was to complete since there was so many choices available. As I add more, it became more complex and harder to manage.

But now that I am almost done, the hardest part of modding is done with. Any new techs and components I add after this version will become a lot easier since the basic groundwork is all done.

danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

oh yeahhhh Men! Tk![&o]
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Is this mod usable with the Beyond mod? Edit: I answer the question by myself, "sure it's not".
But when will be the release for a full playable version?
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I really don't know much about the Beyond mod. You probably know more than me.

My mod had been playable since release of 0.1. I just like to keep adding stuff as I learn modding. If you want to try it, I suggest waiting for the next version which I will upload in a few days.

Whenever I add enough new stuff to my mod I release it and increment the version number by 0.1.

Technically I could name this next version 1.0 since it's basically complete but I know I will be adding more stuff when I get new ideas.

I'm already thinking about 2 new ideas that I could add but haven't decided on yet.

1) I have a workaround in how to change the fighter/bomber ratio (this would need around 50 new techs)

2) I think I solved the problem of bigger is better in ships sizes. Since bigger ship = more weapons. But I think I solved this. I could make a tech branch where smaller ships could be as powerful as those massive ships without increasing ship size. (this would take around 75-100 new techs)

It would be a lot of work so I can't decide yet.
fierceking

RE: DW - Starfall - ver 0.6 (48 Races with 1000 Research Techs)

Post by fierceking »

Updated to version 0.6

goto first page for info and download link
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

I am getting an Unhandled Exception error at line 4384 of Research.txt while switching to the theme. Does this require the beta update 1.9.5.9? I am still running 1.9.5.8.

Edit: as a bit of troubleshooting I deleted line 4384 only to have the issue then pop up at line 4391 at the next "Parents" line.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

Yea you will need 1.9.5.9 because 1.9.5.8 wouldn't allow over 1000 research techs.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

planets are limited to 6 resources. When a planet reaches 6, the first 6 is all you get. Later resources that are more important will not appear.

The limit is 8 per location.

With planning you can produce all four types of resources in a controlled fashion on the six colonizable planet types.

Darkspire
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

Gotcha, will wait till 1.9.5.9 is out of Beta to retry then, had a nasty crash that I cant locate with the beta update so I reverted to *.5.8 where it is stable again.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

If the crash is repeatable and "silent", upload savegame/mod so it can be fixed. See a sticky on the tech forum. If there is a crash log, write it and consider not uploading...

One purpose of a beta version is to locate the new crashes.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

With planning you can produce all four types of resources in a controlled fashion on the six colonizable planet types.

Darkspire

I think you are right.

I think when the font was increased, it affected how many can be seen on the planet and 2 of the resources are pushed off the edge. Because I can only see 6 per planet as max. The other 2 are probably there and can't be seen.

fierceking

Post by fierceking »

The plan for version 0.7 is to have 10 character each per race. After I get that done, then I can add more but priority is to have each race at least have 10 for variety.

Some more previews.

Humans

Atuuk

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: fierceking

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Darkspire

I think you are right.

I think when the font was increased, it affected how many can be seen on the planet and 2 of the resources are pushed off the edge. Because I can only see 6 per planet as max. The other 2 are probably there and can't be seen.

Ignore the data box in the SW corner in this instance, although it can be expanded like many of the data screens it is not very helpful. Click on the planet to center it, press 'Home', look at the small rectangular box which has a list of horizontal resource icons to the right of the planet, that will show all the resources, bear in mind that if you play with events on then that has to be taken into account when planning a resource map as extra resources can be added to colonies during a game, they can sometimes take a few days / weeks of game time to show up on the list to the right of the planet.

As for that total per planetary body, eight, that is official, the info was from Elliot when I got my idea for the manufactured resources (luxury / strategic) added to the game during beta testing.

Darkspire
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I don't know what you mean.

From this pic, I can see 6 resources from the main view and 7 resourcees, maybe 8 with 1 cut off? I don't know since I can't see

Also what do you mean by

"With planning you can produce all four types of resources in a controlled fashion on the six colonizable planet types. "

How is that possible? I thought resources are randomly generated at the start of the game and then they randomly pop up on planets. How can you block something from being produced on a planet if it's randomly generated?

fierceking

Post by fierceking »

More new character sets

Enton

Gastridas

This...

I have no idea what the hell to do with this. I just can't figure out how make more characters from this.

fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I plan on changing some of the race pics since I don't like some of them especially the Dhayut and Naxallian. Now I need to look around for some new ones.

Some more previews...

Ackdarian

Ieq'ent

moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Really great mod. Been playing 2 days now and it gives you so much more than the standard game. Thanks [&o]
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card

Return to “Design and Modding”