DV vs Sillyflower/Belphagor (Game Over - Open Thread)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

smokindave34

RE: DV vs Sillyflower/Belphagor (No Pro's)

Post by smokindave34 »

Couldn't agree more about the Para's DV - I'm done with them as well.

It looks like it will be challenging to hold out until 1945 - another AAR showing how difficult it is to play as axis. Good luck!
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Its important to point out that when we started we played with the version where you could pull your units to the rear and refit them to 50 morale+ within a few turns.

It was also old blizzard rules which hurt a lot. I think the current version and 1.08 make it a decent match between even players.
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]DOWNFALL[/center]

So I made my goal of hitting 1945. In fact its now January 11 and I should have at least 2 more turns left before Berlin falls. I think it would be cool to make it to 02/11 when the Germans get the 6th SS Panzer Army. Im still trying to hold out with every ounce of strength I have. I gave Sillyflower 3 consecutive holds on East Berlin and showed that a direct assault will not work. Still having fun!

On a side note. Can someone please clarify something about factory damage?

What is the percentage mean when next to a factory? For example:

Ju-52 22(60%)

Does this mean that there is 60% of 22 factories left? 60% of 22 factories damaged? Or 60% of 1 factory damaged?

Thanks!

Attachments
Screenshot3.jpg
Screenshot3.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 95 times
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Ju-52 22(60%)

Does this mean that there is 60% of 22 factories left?

This is kind of like port damage. It will recover by 3% every turn. It has no effect on production but your factories will not expand until all the damage is repaired. Not an issue for you of course.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Will the PROs have enough VP once they take Berlin? Or will they need to take some other cities as well before you fall below 40?
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Will the PROs have enough VP once they take Berlin? Or will they need to take some other cities as well before you fall below 40?

They have everything else except Konigsberg so Im sure Berlin will wrap it up.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: Oshawott

Ju-52 22(60%)

Does this mean that there is 60% of 22 factories left?

This is kind of like port damage. It will recover by 3% every turn. It has no effect on production but your factories will not expand until all the damage is repaired. Not an issue for you of course.

Well I'm actually asking about ports. Not for this game but to see how hard it is to knock out ports for supply. So if Sevastopol has 15 ports, how much damage percentage is needed to starve the city?

The manual says that factories are affected by damage btw..the damage level is a percentage roll for whether the factory produces anything. Couldn't find the info regarding ports though.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

So if Sevastopol has 15 ports, how much damage percentage is needed to starve the city?

The port would have to be below 1. So you would need 94% damage plus the repair rate of 3% = 97%. Then the units in the city would be in beachhead supply.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

The manual says that factories are affected by damage btw..the damage level is a percentage roll for whether the factory produces anything.

Yes, you are correct. I just checked this out and if the percentage roll succeeds the elements show up in the Damaged column in the production report. So if you have 99% damage there is still a 1% chance that the factory produces everything which is a little bit silly.
Disgruntled Veteran

6TH SS PANZER ARRIVES!!

[center]DOWNFALL - TURN 190 - BERLIN REFUSES TO DIE - 6TH SS PANZER TO THE RESCUE[/center]

Seems I have made it to February 8, 1945. I'm actually quite proud of my accomplishments. North Berlin fell last turn but I also put weaker units in it in order to secure the front along the flanks. I'm actually struggling to find the hexes to field all of my units. I was very excited to see the arrival of the 6th SS Panzer Army and all its reinforcements. Unfortunately, due to my lack of hexes, the actual army HQ and 1 of the infantry divisions, spawned in my Konigsburg Fortress. That's okay because I have plenty of command space without the HQ but I hate to waste the infantry division on Konigsburg. I seriously didn't expect to reach this date and I'm even happier to say that I should have 2 turns or more left. If I hit March I'm going to be very gloating. I've been taunting the Pro's relentlessly in their failure to finish me off.

Here's my front:

Attachments
Downfall.jpg
Downfall.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 95 times
charlie0311

RE: 6TH SS PANZER ARRIVES!!

Post by charlie0311 »

well done,esp the taunting..
Disgruntled Veteran

Game ended on Soviet side of Feb 8. You don't have to lose all 3 Berlin hexes to "take" Berlin..just the heavy urban hex. Despite a defensive CV of near 600, the hex fell to what must have been an ungodly onslaught. I couldn't see the battle because the game ended but Sillyflower just attacked the city head on instead of isolating it. 6th SS Panzer army couldn't even buy a turn.

Overall, I'm glad the game is over. I saw it through despite feeling really down after a rather poor 42. For all those who get stuck in the 42-43 period I have o tell you that the end game is actually quite fun. Despite losing 6.3m losses as axis I managed to hold a front all the way to the last turn. In fact, My army performed much better in late 44-45 than it did back in 43. Mostly the shorter front and good terrain.

Hats off to the "Pros". They are good and reliable players. I also learned quite a bit about playing both sides through them. Guess that's all for now..at least until 1.08.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Nice job DV, holding on as long as you did. I also finished a games as axis against "The Pro's" and agree they are top notch - with no gimmicks either.

In some ways it is much more fun playing as axis in 43-45. In 41/42 there is absolutely no margin for error while in '43-45 you can take some chances now and then and slow down the Soviets.

What units did you have in Berlin that last turn? I was tempted to put my best panzer divisions in there but hesitated because I think armor units get a penalty in urban hexes.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Nice job DV, holding on as long as you did. I also finished a games as axis against "The Pro's" and agree they are top notch - with no gimmicks either.

In some ways it is much more fun playing as axis in 43-45. In 41/42 there is absolutely no margin for error while in '43-45 you can take some chances now and then and slow down the Soviets.

What units did you have in Berlin that last turn? I was tempted to put my best panzer divisions in there but hesitated because I think armor units get a penalty in urban hexes.

(Smacks head) Didn't even think about the panzers in urban. Still, I'm not sure the massive CV difference between the mech units and any infantry division in game would warrant infantry in the hex. Hard to say.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I shall start with the end

DV wrote this must have been an 'ungodly' attack. I prefer to use the word 'masterful' Screen shot is not of the actual game as I was not expecting it to end. Also in game I had already attacked down from the north in a big friendly bearhug which meant that all his retreating units ran round in a circle a couple of times before surrendering.
I also moved spare 2nd line corps out of the way so the full splendour of 18 attacking breakthrough arty divs could be seen.

I ran the attack a few times when doing my reconstruction without bothering with any softening up bombing runs. I took the hex about half the time, and an initial failure was followed up by a successful 2nd attack on 1 of 2 occasions I tried that.

I shall claim a record for the largest number of arty pieces in a single attack unless someone posts contrary evidence.
Attachments
berlin.jpg
berlin.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 97 times
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

THOUGHTS ON THE GAME

Disgusted is a worthy opponent whom we would recommend to anyone both for his gameplay and for his trash talk. We were slightly worried by his references to going back to school in case we were beating up on a 12 year old who was merely the embittered veteran of Springfield Elementary. One can never tell on the internet.

We rightly guessed his mood in '43. His big Southern pocket he refers to above turned out to be a bit of a disaster for him as we broke the pocket every turn. I think he dd capture about 3 divs and possibly 1 corps but the damage to the Wehrmacht from slugging it out in the open more than compensated. Much the same happened with his big '42 pocket though less escaped. His panzers bled white in the process so there were no other German successes of note in '42.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

As to the rules we played to, I think the best one was changing the victory condition to winning means holding Berlin beyond historical capture date for the Germans, and taking it earlier for the Russians. Gives something for the Germans to play for. The narrow front and bad terrain east od Berlin makes it surprisingly hard for the Russians especially as it takes ages for rivers to freeze in the European weather zone. There are not many clear turns between mid Oct '44 and mid May '45 and the half frozen major rivers are pretty much impossible to attack over if the Nazis have decent forts.

The other good rule that hampers the Russians in the late game is to limit air to ground attacks on any 1 hex to 3 per turn. The effects of spam bombing have been toned down, but still seem OTT to me.

Re paras- Sean does make the most of these. I've never worked out how to do them after the rule change, so I have to get Sean to move up 1 or 2 to my area and then drop them for me. (I always take the top half of the map and he has the Southern half + the air force). I don't agree with DV thay they should be banned but perhaps confined to dropping into clear hexes only. I'm not sure that dropping them onto mountains, swamps or heavy forest is very do-able in real life. You can always chuck anyone out of an aircraft at any point, but you won't get a fighting unit with a ZOC into those terrain types.
web exchange

Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

I shall claim a record for the largest number of arty pieces in a single attack unless someone posts contrary evidence.

Sorry, I made it to 18201. [:D]

tm.asp?m=3596974&mpage=30&key=
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi guys,

Is there a record for fuel airdrops?? I got 800 tons in one drop, Jul 43. Alas, chutes didn't open..
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

We were slightly worried by his references to going back to school in case we were beating up on a 12 year old who was merely the embittered veteran of Springfield Elementary. One can never tell on the internet.

Haha...thats cute.

No I changed careers and my new job has several years of school in the evenings. I'm a well seasoned 33.

Return to “After Action Reports”