Support Unit Limit Question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

dereck

Support Unit Limit Question

Post by dereck »

Is there a limit to the number of support units a HQ (such as Stavka, etc) can contain?

I'd like to reassign a lot of SU units and I'm thinking the best way is to move them all to one place and then assign them that way.

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
carlkay58

RE: Support Unit Limit Question

Post by carlkay58 »

There is no limit on either OKW or STAVKA. I don't know about the Army Group/Army/Corps HQs, although I have seen some HQs with an extremely high SU count upon occasion.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-
dereck

Post by dereck »

Another question about support units.

Do they count against HQ Command Capacity? I'm just wondering because I'm going through trying to find out where Soviet HQs are over and there are a lot that have tons of regimental size support units.

Thanks.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Nope - but other than RR/sapper regiments, doesn't really benefit you to have a zillion SUs per HQ since they will only commit 3 per combat. I generally like 5 sappers and 3 arty plus a mortar per Army HQ, and then 4-5 RR brigades per Front.

Just playing my first full map scenario. It's as the Soviets and one thing I realised is RR Bde are not of much use in 1941, as you retreating you don't have many rails to repair.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

RR brigade do not help building fortification too ?
Brakes are for cowards !!
morvael

Post by morvael »

In 1941 I'd say sappers are more important. As said above rail rebuilding is not an issue when you retreat (and due to 5 hex range to enemy limit it's hard to rebuild anyway if you recapture a hex or two). Since manpower is low and RR brigades consume a lot compared to sappers, the second unit is a better choice. Sappers help in combat as well, not only in fort construction (and you will have to build them sooner or later). In 1.08 RR Brigades will cost 3 AP, Sapper Regiments 2 AP. The choice is obvious. Of course in late '42 it's good to build some RR Brigades. I ended up with 5-7 per Front plus 1 in every Combined Arms Army.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

As said above rail rebuilding is not an issue when you retreat

Generally true but I'd recommend the Russian player invest in a few RRs early on. Deep tank raids can play havoc with cut rail lines, both for factory evacuation and, up north, supply of Leningrad. Just a handful of RRs can make a difference at not too much cost.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”